Skip to content

Continuity between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

2»

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @Heindrich1988
    Yes, your spellbook transfers between BG1 and BG2. Those of your companions, however, do not.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    No, spell books don't import. You re-pick a small selection of spells when you import a mage or bard. (Which does make sense...it's highly likely Irenicus burned your spell books, and only the spells you had memorized at the time survived to be re-inscribed).

*Recall the OP is on vanilla BG1, not EE or Tutu. Only EE and Tutu transfer, because they use the same system as BG2.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Malicron said:

@Heindrich1988
    Yes, your spellbook transfers between BG1 and BG2. Those of your companions, however, do not.

Thanks. I just came across Greater Malison in the Sorcery shop in Baldur's Gate, which is apparently very good according to the spells guide I use.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Everything about your character's abilities and stats are carried through on import, including spells, XP, ability scores, etc. The only thing you don't keep is your equipment (for obvious reasons), and the stats of other NPCs (since the only thing being imported is your character).
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited July 2013

No, spell books don't import. You re-pick a small selection of spells when you import a mage or bard. (Which does make sense...it's highly likely Irenicus burned your spell books, and only the spells you had memorized at the time survived to be re-inscribed).

*Recall the OP is on vanilla BG1, not EE or Tutu. Only EE and Tutu transfer, because they use the same system as BG2.

Ah, I see, thanks... So the choice of spells at the start of BG 2 that I can select will be from a default list? Or will it be from a list of spells I have learnt in BG 1?

Also I had no idea that BG 2 was compatible with BG 1 :EE
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    You need to replay vanilla BG1, you do NOT keep spell books when importing (the OP is NOT using Tutu or EE). You pick a couple spells of each spell level, up to the highest you can cast, and that's it.

You pick from the full list of spells, up to the highest level your mage can cast. But you only get a handful. 5 or less per spell level depending on spell level and your mage level. On the other hand, it includes spells that didn't exist in vanilla BG1, like stoneskin or spook, so it's a pretty decent trade off, I guess.

EE is basically TuTu as far as BG2 is concerned....the only things that aren't compatible are elements added specific to EE, like Blackguards or the other new kits.