Skip to content

Do not bash and curse the name "ATARI" and it's legacy too fast because...

Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
... it is not the company you once knew either when you were young (with ATARI ST for instance) or as a remain of the golden age of video games.

In fact the name "ATARI" was bought by the once French company Infogrames, so that they can try to make people forget their bad name.

They renamed themselves after this "Atari" name.

They just wanted to take advantage of the reputation of this old and mythic brand.

So the mythic old Atari has nothing to do with this current and shameful mess where Beamdog & Overhaul are put into thanks to the current Atari greed and poor D&D series management.

I'm furthermore ashamed of this situation since Infogrames was a respectful big company in my hometown when I was a kid, more than twenty years ago.

So to Overhaul Team : good luck and let's hope the situation will end in a good way !
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

So the mythic old Atari has nothing to do with this current and shameful mess where Beamdog & Overhaul are put into thanks to the current Atari greed and poor D&D series management.

It does, however, have something to do with the legendary mess that is the Video Game Crash.

I can't say the "mythic" old Atari is that much better than the one we have right now.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    Regardless of who has been behind the name, Atari has been pretty legendary at botching things up over the years.

Their mismanagement led directly to the video game crash in 1983. The name resurfaced with the epic failure that was the Jaguar. And now Infogrames has taken the name and run it into the ground again.

Since the 1980s, the name Atari has been synonymous with bad management. I have no idea why people think the name has value now.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    With respect, and as fascinating as this thread is, isn't it more 'off topic'?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yep. Moving it there now.

Also: Oh man, remember the Jaguar?
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Dee said:

I remember I wanted one... the first 64 bit games console! That's four times as many bits as any other console I'd had... that's the Megadrive/SNES, NES, Master System and everything else put together. More bits = better. That was how it was back then.

I never got one, which turned out to be just as well. I did get a Sega Saturn though, because of the name Sega, which... yeah...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I found a copy of E.T. in a pawn shop the other day. Had a good chuckle and left it there in the bin.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Too many good small companies being absorbed/taken over by big mediocre ones... How I hate EA... They pretty much killed the old appeal Westwood had for me...
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Origin used to be one of the greatest gaming companies of all time, bringing us many classics that are still fondly remembered today. And what is Origin now? A shoddily-made Steam rip-off.

Depressing.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Coriander said:

I found a copy of E.T. in a pawn shop the other day. Had a good chuckle and left it there in the bin.

Do not remind me of ET... I actually forced my parents to BUY me a copy back in the Atari 2600 days...
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited June 2013
    Dee said:

Thanks for moving it :-)

BTW, Infogrames was the company who release the first ancestor and inspiration of Resident Evil : the first Alone in The Dark in 1992. It was such a great game.

To bad the other ones were such a disappointment...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I ended up getting a 3DO instead. That Jaguar controller is nuts (I have one in my console collection now...).
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    My hatred of the evil empire has no bounds.

Too many good small companies being absorbed/taken over by big mediocre ones... How I hate EA... They pretty much killed the old appeal Westwood had for me...

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The Atari from back in the day was the real, good Atari. This joke that masquerades as Atari now is a sham.

I still have my Atari 2600 and the games. I play them once in a blue moon.