Skip to content

[Request] Floating text over doors and chests

ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
I'd like to see floating texts describing EVERY door and chest in game, telling us what to expect beyond that. Foe example, in a cave that some creature may lurk, a text would appear on the first click:

"This dark cave leads to something else your eyes can't reach"

If otherwise there is a cave where people live inside, with light and such, would appear:

"A dim light and shadows are beyond, for what you must enter to clearly see"

It would give more info about preparing yourself to dangers ahead and increases game immersion, and it does'nt seem that impossible to implement.

Comments

• FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    I guess it's possible. IMHO, it's probably not worthwhile enough though. One simply assumes that all caves and doors hold potentially nasty enemies beyond.

I think there is an example of your request in BG2, where a rogue stone will give access to a high level encounter. From memory, I think a warning is given.
  • ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    Yes, this kind of stuff.

I mean, in a "Enhanced Edition", these kind of minor things would really improve our playing/replaying experience, since messing with plots/banters are still so restricted due to contract limitations.

Actually, floating texts are always nice, and i would extend that request to may other things that may interest players in an investigative fashion, something closer to those puzzle games that you should search with the mouse for clues and keys to solve it. Well... Maybe this need more fuel, so everyone feel free to join this discussion and bring some ideas, too ^^
    alnair
    A funny thing that could happen is something added to "detect traps" or for the Ranger class that could work like "track": sometimes, your ranger character will spot something in the ground that, when clicked, will pop up a floating text with the potential dangers in the area, specially about rndom encounters in explored areas.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    Itomon said:

A funny thing that could happen is something added to "detect traps" or for the Ranger class that could work like "track": sometimes, your ranger character will spot something in the ground that, when clicked, will pop up a floating text with the potential dangers in the area, specially about rndom encounters in explored areas.

Isn't the latter thing similar to what the higher level ability "tracking" does? It gives descriptions I think of the area and what enemies are around. Its been so long since I've used it I can't exactly recall lol.
    Not sure. If i ever got any high level ability, it wasnt ranger's. :o
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Considering that tracking is a built-in class feature for rangers, why on earth would they make it a HLA? That part has never made sense to me. And anyone could learn tracking if the NCP system was included, rangers just get 2 free pips in it due to their specialized training.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    This is a nice idea, but the enormous workload and potential engine tweaking required make it an unlikely addition, I'm afraid.
    elminster
    Maybe there is a simplest way to do that though? like an once-per-day item that when activated, roll the chance to find tracks and gives info about what may be found (it could be dialogue-initiated, maybe, though floating texts like lilarcor are always nice)