Skip to content

Durlag's Tower... Do it in 2 trips?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
So my intrepid party have ventured deep into the deadly labyrinth of Durlag's Tower. They are doing pretty well... currently fighting through the 3rd level. Probably consuming as much goodies in terms of scrolls, potions and magical ammunition as they are looting off the corpses of their enemies and finding in the treasure troves of the tower.

However, I am starting to run low on Healing Potions, and with only Jaheira's pitiful healing magic available in my party, I fear they will struggle to clear the rest of the 3rd level and then whatever horrors that they will face in level 4. (I am also starting to run out of inv space for loot)

So I am considering leaving to make a trip to Gullykin to recuperate, sell off loot and buy more healing potions.

Will the monsters I have faced respawn if I leave? puzzles re-set? It's been a hard slog getting this far, and I am already close to xp cap, so I'd really rather not do this all over again.

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    There are plenty of healing potions and other supplies in the tower dungeons. You may stop hauling all the less valuable gems at some point, but you probably don't need to bail out.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    You don't have to worry about beating everything all over again. At most there may be a few new random spawns when you come back, nothing too crazy.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    atcDave said:

There are plenty of healing potions and other supplies in the tower dungeons. You may stop hauling all the less valuable gems at some point, but you probably don't need to bail out.

Gems is not a major problem thanks to gem bag... It's more the ammunition and magic armor/weapons. It feels wrong to throw away any magical items, but I perhaps have only about 4 slots left on each character now.

I did find alot of health potions on level 1, but I've certainly been drinking them at a faster rate than finding them. I am probably not fighting battles in the most efficient ways possible, and having just Jaheira for healing means I can't top up much with every rest session.
    TJ_Hooker said:

You don't have to worry about beating everything all over again. At most there may be a few new random spawns when you come back, nothing too crazy.

Ok cool, I might visit Gullykin then... I am guessing the traps won't be reset either right? I've combed every corner of lv1 and lv2 with Imoen. I certainly don't wanna do that again! lol
    I'm 99% sure that none of the traps will reset.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You can also trek back to the first level and toss your loot into a container there and come back for It later.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    in baldur's gate almost nothing resets
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    1.) None of the monsters will respawn
    2.) None of the traps will respawn, but there are some traps that won't go away by walking on them so you HAVE to disarm them to get rid of them.
    3.) There is so much loot in there that if you want it all you'll probably have to go 2-3 times to sell stuff.

I normally clear the first floors quite early in the game and get some loot (Tome of wisdom etc). And then i return later to go into the dungeon and clear the rest. I usually take a detour to sell stuff between the last dungeon levels as there are some neat stuff there.

SionIV said:

1.) None of the monsters will respawn
    2.) None of the traps will respawn, but there are some traps that won't go away by walking on them so you HAVE to disarm them to get rid of them.
    3.) There is so much loot in there that if you want it all you'll probably have to go 2-3 times to sell stuff.

I normally clear the first floors quite early in the game and get some loot (Tome of wisdom etc). And then i return later to go into the dungeon and clear the rest. I usually take a detour to sell stuff between the last dungeon levels as there are some neat stuff there.

Yeah level 1 and level 2 is actually not particularly hard as long as you can disable the traps. I never thought I'd find better armour than the mithril chainmail I took off Drizzt's corpse, but there was a Plate Mail +3 on level 2! And there is so much magical ammunition I've thrown away my standard bolts and arrows lol. It's a hard slog, but I'm pretty excited to see what I might find in level 4!

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Durlag's tower has the same as watchers keep in BG2. It's a place you should go to in different phases of your game. Take the easiest floors early in the game to gather up some nice gear and ammunition. Then take the first hard floors in the mid of the game and leave the rest to when you're done with most other things. Sure you could rush and complete the whole place early on in the game, but i find it much more enjoyable to split it up.

Just watch out for the chess.
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    I'm at cloakwood mines, party is level 5, when can I enter the tower?
    I been outside of it and killed of 3 ghost/knights or whatever they were ...think it was named horror something - and they were tough!!
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    If you are able to kill the helmed horrors outside Durlag's Tower then you are tough enough to enter it.
    edited July 2013
    raxtoren said:

I'm at cloakwood mines, party is level 5, when can I enter the tower?
    I been outside of it and killed of 3 ghost/knights or whatever they were ...think it was named horror something - and they were tough!!

If you are able to kill the helmed horrors outside Durlag's Tower then you are tough enough to enter it.

I'm sorry but that's just not true, unless you mean enter it, explore the upper levels and then die horribly when you venture into the labyrinth below.

As SionIV said, the tower increases in difficulty the deeper you go. The upper levels are easy enough for a lv 5 party if you can kill the Horrors outside. Watch out for Basilisks though.

Labyrinth level 1 is not too bad if you got a thief with 100 in detect traps. Level 2 can be quite tricky but still do-able. Level 3 is when it really gets tricky, and really can only be attempted by an endgame party. Level 4 is gonna be tough even for an endgame party.

My party is near xp cap and I've just only emerged battered and bruised out of the tower. Nearly got caught out by a cultist ambush just as I returned to Ulgoth's Beard. Went into the cultist hideout and promptly got slaughtered by the big demon they summoned -.-

Incidentally can somebody tell me how the hell do you kill that demon? It's harder than the Demon Knight!

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Heindrich1988
    You may want to wrap some spoiler tags around that.

Potions of Mirrored Eyes and Potions of Freedom help greatly. Spells and magical effects that are not susceptible to MR help. Or, if you have none, spam regular spells; the demon only has 50 % MR. But it is immune to fire and electricity and resistant to cold. Be very sure to kill all the cultists before you take on the demon itself. Other than that, it is mostly a matter of beating on it with your swords and avoiding being torn to shreds.
    Wisp said:

@Heindrich1988
    You may want to wrap some spoiler tags around that.

Potions of Mirrored Eyes and Potions of Freedom help greatly. Spells and magical effects that are not susceptible to MR help. Or, if you have none, spam regular spells; the demon only has 50 % MR. But it is immune to fire and electricity and resistant to cold. Be very sure to kill all the cultists before you take on the demon itself. Other than that, it is mostly a matter of beating on it with your swords and avoiding being torn to shreds.
    Alright, thanks I'll try again later.
    edited July 2013

I never thought I'd find better armour than the mithril chainmail I took off Drizzt's corpse, but there was a Plate Mail +3 on level 2!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that armour isn't that good unless you have a character too weak to wear full plate (and even then you're better off wearing ankheg plate after you get an [item] of Protection +2). Everyone else is better with Full Plate and a ring/cloak/amulet of protection.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I'm sorry but that's just not true, unless you mean enter it, explore the upper levels and then die horribly when you venture into the labyrinth below.
    I said tough enough to enter; I didn't say tough enough to survive.