Skip to content

The auction, the patch, and our trip through development hell

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
Here it is everyone. The auction will soon be upon us (if it hasn't happen already outside of the courts) and the future of the EE's is at hand. Many of the developers have given us some reassurance about "it's not if, it's when", but we all know that anything can happen in court. I'm optimistic about this project, but I'm not gonna be shocked if this whole thing heads south. What do you think about this whole auction/court ordeal?

Assuming the contract doesn't change much or at all, how long do you think it will be until the patch is released? I think it won't be released for awhile still. They got a lot of work a head of them still and I think it'll be about two weeks to a month before we actually get the patch.

And lastly how did you survive this trip through development hell? I had Doom 1-3 on the Xbox and played the Black Pits. Also I worked overtime... to make up for the time I will spend on the game if the patch hits.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    1. Be glad when it's over whatever the outcome. It has put a bit of a damper on the hype surrounding the project

2. I bet the patch will be released very shortly after the legal problems have been sorted. Maybe a week afterwards at most.

3. Been watching the Ashes.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    My guess is patch release will be pretty fast - as in day after resolution. A month from now, we'll forget this hiccup, bringing it up only when/if some other thing is delayed (remember the initial release and then the patch complain complain complain bitch/moan) thing? Anyway, hoping it resolves soon and not losing sleep if it doesn't. :)
  • SublimeBWSublimeBW Member Posts: 42
    With tomorrow being the 19th do we think we will hear anything about Overhaul being able to proceed with patches & BGEE2? I thought that Atari was planning on having their final auctions on the 19th but I may be wrong.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Their final auction bids are placed by the 19th but they don't decide on anything until the 24th.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I think Beamdog will do everything in their power to keep the EEs alive, but these are the American Courts; "justice" goes to whoever has the more expensive lawyer, and that's Atari. As such, I sincerely doubt we'll see BG2:EE.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2013
    I know very little about the subject. When I was a Sophomore in high school I thought I could perhaps go into law, since the idea of being a judge fascinated me somewhat. I went to a conference concerning such things with other kids my age and older, and decided while it wasn't half bad, it wasn't for me. xD; Thus why all of this stuff confuses me and I can't contribute any real thoughts!

I do, however, agree with @ajwz. "Be glad when it's over whatever the outcome." Well said.

@SublimeBW I doubt it, but honestly as vocal as they've been with us, maybe we will get something. Usually though, these developments take time for the companies to ... parse, I guess.

-----

On the what have you been doing in your free time ... Well, quite frankly there's a couple factors for me. There's BG:EE getting put on hold, and then there's the fact that next-gen consoles are around the corner and as such, there's no good new games recently out, just a whole lot of awesome stuff coming in a few months. So I replayed The Legend of Dragoon for Playstation 1. And I FINALLY bought the RPG I had been eyeing for like a decade, Skies of Arcadia for the Sega Dreamcast. Haven't really sunk my teeth into it yet, but it seems pretty awesome; while the adventuring is dated, the battle system is great and the plot is highly amusing and intriguing thus far.

Also I finally got into Borderlands 2. Had that sitting around for some time, finally started really playing it. Having a blast playing an Assassin. Hilariously though, I got 10 Gold Keys from ... pretty much nowhere. I did some research and apparently you get a Gold Key from this or that promotion; I haven't done ANYTHING and for some reason my account has 10. I used 1 to get a pretty epic revolver that is more powerful than any sniper rifle I have thus far, which is equal parts awesome and embarrassing. Saving the other 9 for when I'm a higher level and the loot is potentially better (since it's scaled).

Of the new consoles, I'm looking at Playstation 4 but I'm in waiting mode at this point. The cool thing about Xbox One is that it includes its camera, so it's more likely for developers to actually bother with the damn thing. Despite that, no such third-party support for the Kinect has really been displayed yet, so maybe I'm totally wrong about that. Also, undoubtedly there will be a Fable IV some time, and I love me some Fable! The cool thing about the Playstation 4 is that it is basically getting all the games I really care about at this current point in time, although to be honest the same could be said for the Xbox One, since none of the exclusives have grabbed my attention yet. The cool thing about the Wii U is ... oh yeah, nothing. Except that the next three Sonic games will be Wii U exclusive, which pains me. :|

The two next-gen games that interest me the most are Assassin's Creed IV (despite not caring about the past THREE titles) and especially Destiny, which looks amazeballs. The Witness and Project Spark look potentially pretty cool too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    @Quartz - Yes, BL2 has been my game for some time now. Instant gratification :)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Been playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

It's been a while since I played a game that kicked my ass with such vigorous enthusiasm. Still, makes winning all the sweeter eventually.

(Welcome to the Dark Elf campaign. You have no money, 3 soldiers, no cities. And look, legions of shadow demons on the horizon. Good luck champ!)
    edited July 2013
    @typo_tilly

O_O

You got Skies of Arcadia?! :D

I wanted to get that for ages for Gamecube, but it was always $60+ used at eb games. Until it went off the shelf altogether ~_~ Aaand it's presently selling for $100 on amazon... *pout*

*jealous* :u

I found a good "Buy It Now" deal on eBay for $54 for the Dreamcast. I'm surprised that it's actually *more* expensive on the Gamecube ... I guess they didn't distribute too many copies.

I'm only like an hour and a half in and I've managed to hit on both of the female protagonists. That's how you know it's a good game.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    1. I believe in what devs says about it only if I see the results. First The Delay, then releasing an unplayable game until 1-2 patch (at least for me), then over half of year waiting for promised dub support only to hear about current issues. You know, my trust in Overhaul is somehow damaged by all of above.

2. I think it will be released almost instantly. They are unable to release it right now, but that doesn't prevent them from making the patch while waiting.

3. What do I do when waiting because of current issue? Excluding my real life, I have plenty of games. Diablo series, Street Fighter x Tekken, The Witcher series, Dungeon Keeper II, Warcraft III.... You know, I'm not bored.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Quartz: Just out of curiosity: how is being able to hit on female protagonists at only one hour and a half into the game a sign of the game being good?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571

@Quartz: Just out of curiosity: how is being able to hit on female protagonists at only one hour and a half into the game a sign of the game being good?

Sounds like Jaheria. Husband's been dead for an hour; hit on the new guy...
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Because it makes me laugh. The funny thing is that they both responded relatively negatively. Dragon Age 2 it ain't. Besides I was half-joking. I dunno how else to describe it without going into absurd amounts of detail.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Wiggles: Yeah, that was kinda awkward. :/