Skip to content

I just finished BGEE great game but...

raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
BG2 is way better in story,characters,exploration and graphic.

I remember how many people told me that BG1 was the best one, after playing both I realize that was BS - anyone who actually think BG1 is better than BG2... geez what lala-land do you live in?

While I do realize this game was made in 1998 and for a game to be made in 1998 could still be fun in 2013 means it must have been very good in 1998, it still is nowhere as good as BG2 was.

And also, what about that last boss, weirdest last boss so far.

I rush him and die 4 times in a row, I then pull him into my group at the door, he comes alone and I killed him in 5-10 sec (not even kidding) with magic missiles and big 2h sword hits.
That was... just bizarre. The cutscene was also like, eh okay???????? no epilogue, no text about what happend afterwards, nothing??

BGEE1 today was for me 8.0/10
BG2, as I remember it in the old days, was 10/10.

So bring me BGEE2 ;)

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    well if you are complaining about AI and difficulty play with scsii and insane ;)
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    zur312 said:

well if you are complaining about AI and difficulty play with scsii and insane ;)

I would never do that on my first playthrough ;) also, im not very good but... that boss fight geez he died fast.

ajwz said:

is that lots of subsequent games have been successful in replicating and capturing the essence of bg2 to a certain extent, but bg1 remains a largely unique experience.

what other games captured bg2?
    edited July 2013
    I felt more connected to the BG2 world, and my companions felt alive, in BG1 they just ... eh were there.
    Also, in BG2 it felt like the developers really wanted you to explore a fantasy world- elf forest town, hell, deep caves where drows live, water city, pirate island etc.
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2013
    Well, I've been playing Baldur's Gate 1 for a while, without getting to the end (because of my damned computer which still refuses to accept the game right after approaching the Friendly Arm Inn e.e), and so far I explored the game and zone a little, I can say it was pretty amusing. I mean, I haven't played the game long enough, yet I was having a good time playing even though I had to do long walks to explore just one area... But that makes sense to me. I've played BG2 since I was 11 years old, and nowadays, it's still being my favorite RPG game ever. But when it comes to BG 1 it makes sense to have to explore the whole world by your own; it might be exhausting, but it's understandable. Think it. It's an RPG game. You're supposed to be leaving your from years home, and be facing world outside it for the first time; you're striking to reality by your own, and it makes sense to me to be having to explore the world all by yourself since you're a kid with no acknowledge of the outside; that makes it, you don't have maps, you barely know where you're standing on, so you're not supposed to know the roads xD
    I'd still say BG2 is 'better'; I cannot state that because I'm out of opinion with the first one, but Baldur's Gate 2 is simply amazing. I'm aware that the NPC'S of the first installment are nothing right next to the development the characters on the second one have. And it's true. All of my party members really seem to be walking next to me, but not literally only. Their deep gist just makes them all unique, and one actually feels the absence of the other. xD
    So, yeah, I'm agree BG2 is a masterpiece; but I can't say anything about the first one, at least not now; I forebode I'm going to still adore BG2 the most right after finishing the first one, but I can't assure anything. xD
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The problem I always had with BG1 - especially in comparison to the sequel - was that the characters are completely flat and simplistic, and the plot doesn't quite hold together. You have occasional mentions of Alaundo's Prophecy at the start of the game, then nothing about Bhaal until you're back at Candlekeep. And you only discover the truth about yourself in a letter from Gorion which you may or may not read.

By contrast, BG2 is much more careful about making sure every single NPC has something to do and something to say - they actually contribute to the party dynamic rather than just make repetitive one-liners...
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    A fair amount of oldtime players also (seem to) like BG1 out of a sense of nostalgia, since it was the first game of the trilogy that they played and got sucked into. A few years later, with BG2 becoming as popular as it did, a lot of new players first got into that and then in retrospect played through BG1 as well. With that background of getting amazed by BG2 before BG1, those are some long odds for preferring the latter.

Like shawne says, once you get used to companion banter and interactions it's notoriously hard to go back to the quiet BG1 characters.. this is also illustrated by how much the BG1 NPC Project mod lifts BG1.

Having said that I personally also prefer BG2, feeling that the concept that was started in BG1 ended up perfected in the sequel - but these days I really look at the trilogy as one long game.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Shin said:

A fair amount of oldtime players also (seem to) like BG1 out of a sense of nostalgia, since it was the first game of the trilogy that they played and got sucked into. A few years later, with BG2 becoming as popular as it did, a lot of new players first got into that and then in retrospect played through BG1 as well. With that background of getting amazed by BG2 before BG1, those are some long odds for preferring the latter.

Exactly. It's mostly a nostalgia thing. Same reason some people prefer Final Fantasy IV over VI and VII. I played the sequel first, and although the original is a very good game, when comparing the two it's not even a close race for me. I mostly play BG1 because I like starting out as a level 1 character. Still, I usually go through BG1 quickly so I can start playing the sequel.

edited July 2013
    I agree, Final Fantasy VII is the best - however, I will admit that Final Fantasy VI was ... amazing, and that some truly find it better. Locke,Edgar and Terra are characters you never forget ;) But yeah, Final Fantasy 7 had a better story, according to me, and the graphic for its time was 10/10.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    Concerning Sarevok he's been nerfed compared to what he originally was. In the original BG1 (before Totsc) he had 100% magic resistance during your final fight so magic missiles or casting from a scroll of cloudkill didn't work. Obviously you also had an 89,000 level cap and you also didn't have the benefit of characters that can chunk quite as well as someone like Dorn nor did you have the increased availability of spells and items that you get in BGEE and ToTSC. Your benefit over BGEE was in monster wands and monster spells giving you a nice cover when attacking him (assuming they survived the arrows of detonation). In BGEE instead you can have a druid for instance cast call woodland beings who can then just hit him with hold monster (odd as it may sound) and it should be fairly easy to paralyze him especially given access to greater malison.

Say what you will about the NPC's not being as fleshed out in BG1 but time sensitive NPC character interactions were a pain in BG2 (especially in the case of the romances). Particularly given you (for good reasons) had areas of the game where they were restricted from progressing. Also there were way more NPC's in BG1 (especially in the case of evil NPC's) for you to choose from. Party banter was fun in BG2 but its only one part of the game.

BG2 is also a lot more linear and at times restrictive storyline. Like how it forces you to go to the slum district and meet Gaelan Bayle upon leaving Waukeen's Promenade for the first time and how thief characters can't side with Bodhi.

Basically It really depends on what you prefer in a game but I don't think one is better than the other.
    Post edited by elminster on
    i really don't like the restrictions on bg2 storyline
    edited July 2013
    Well I obviously didnt dislike Baldur's Gate, it was just that Baldur's Gate 2 was, in my opinion waaay better.

Can't stress this enough, Baldur's Gate 2 is in my top 5 among games like:

Starcraft
    Final Fantasy 7
    Halo
    Shenmue 2
    ... and Obviously Baldurs Gate 2.
    edited July 2013
    elminster said:

Basically It really depends on what you prefer in a game but I don't think one is better than the other.

I would, recommend anyone new to Baldur's Gate to first play Baldur's Gate 2. I didnt feel like I missed much in the story, by just playing BG2 ( which I did at age 14 ) I mean, they tell you stuff like you're the bhaalspawn in a book/diary, or rather its almost like a theory of Sarevok. That's it.
    In Baldur's Gate 2 they have a story tied into your character and family (Imoen) from the start to the end.

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Planescape torment story and character progression
    Icewind dale combat
    Baldur's gate 1 free roaming
    Baldur's gate 2 big city

Oooh we'll call it... Tormented Dale gate!
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    raxtoren said:

elminster said:

I would, recommend anyone new to Baldur's Gate to first play Baldur's Gate 2. I didnt feel like I missed much in the story, by just playing BG2 ( which I did at age 14 ) I mean, they tell you stuff like you're the bhaalspawn in a book/diary, or rather its almost like a theory of Sarevok. That's it.
    In Baldur's Gate 2 they have a story tied into your character and family (Imoen) from the start to the end.

I gotta disagree with you there.

I actually bought BG 2 first, and was totally confused at the start (as in Imoen walks up to me and I ask 'who are you?'). I felt no attachment to Jaheira or Minsc (believe it or not, I disliked him on first impression!) and felt nothing when Minsc told me his witch had died. I asked on this forum and was recommended to try BG 1 first. I sure am glad I did!

Since BG 2 is better developed and 'better' than BG 1 (especially the Vanilla, where the UI can be frustrating), it just makes sense to play BG 1 first, cos otherwise it's difficult to enjoy BG 1 properly going back to an inferior game where you already know what happens at the end.

edited July 2013
    SionIV said:

Icewind dale combat
    Baldur's gate 2 big city

Speaking of which, since kickstarter has started a new Planescape Torment, is it worth to try the old one? does it hold up in todays standard at all? or should I wait for the new one?

And btw, Heindrich1988 , in BG2 you start with amnesia, if you want. So everything is explained, in fact your character can be in the story sense be clueless about everything in BG1 which works well for new players.
    In that sense you can ignore Jaheria and Minsc without missing out on anything.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,156
    I've always seen both as one entity. I do recognize differences of course, but I really can't evaluate one without comparing it to the other. Now that said; BG first drew me in, because as an old school PNP player it feels the most like AD&D of any computer game I've ever seen. I love the wide open exploration, that you can take the story at your own pace, and the game just works better at lower levels (like 3-9). BG2 has different strengths; more immersive story telling, better fleshed out NPCs, and a more refined game engine (of course BGEE negates the last advantage!)

But I really can't think of them as very separate. I always start at BG I plan on finishing the character through ToB. I don't always make it, but I always see it as one big story.
    edited July 2013
    I hope people realize that this game came out 1998, and I probably would have given it a higher score tehn 8.0 if I played it then. It was a good rpg, that felt old, thats my honest opinion. Now obviously I expected that, and I only bought the game to support the developers - im only after BGEE2 which I want saved on steam for a future playthrough and because of nostalgia/saving a classic in digital form.

However, I have to also think if any irl friends would be able to enjoy it (... Baldur's Gate 1) or not, because of its gameplay and graphic, and Baldur's Gate 2 is a better version on both - it also has, according to me, way better story and npc interaction.

In fact, I would rather suggest games like Dragon Age 1 to anyone intrested in fantasy, with that said, Baldurs Gate 2 had the best fantasy world/story and setting I ever played.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    raxtoren said:

SionIV said:

Icewind dale combat
    Baldur's gate 2 big city

Speaking of which, since kickstarter has started a new Planescape Torment, is it worth to try the old one? does it hold up in todays standard at all? or should I wait for the new one?

And btw, Heindrich1988 , in BG2 you start with amnesia, if you want. So everything is explained, in fact your character can be in the story sense be clueless about everything in BG1 which works well for new players.
    In that sense you can ignore Jaheria and Minsc without missing out on anything.
    @raxtoren Planescape: Torment is still an AMAZING game. If you still enjoy playing BG1 and BG2 in this era you will love love love torment!! I did end up hitting some bugs in the GOG version which made me sad because I couldn't complete certain side quests but it happens =(

I personally can't wait for its successor (as well as Project Eternity)
    my only concern with Project Eternity,while I def want it and gonna pay for it, is that Obsidian Statue never truly delivers.

NWN2 and KOTOR2 are great games but... they missed something.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    raxtoren said:

I hope people realize that this game came out 1998, and I probably would have given it a higher score tehn 8.0 if I played it then. It was a good rpg, that felt old, thats my honest opinion. Now obviously I expected that, and I only bought the game to support the developers - im only after BGEE2 which I want saved on steam for a future playthrough and because of nostalgia/saving a classic in digital form.

However, I have to also think if any irl friends would be able to enjoy it (... Baldur's Gate 1) or not, because of its gameplay and graphic, and Baldur's Gate 2 is a better version on both - it also has, according to me, way better story and npc interaction.

In fact, I would rather suggest games like Dragon Age 1 to anyone intrested in fantasy, with that said, Baldurs Gate 2 had the best fantasy world/story and setting I ever played.

Well yes, people have to learn to walk before they can run - you usually can't drop a complex, lengthy and aged game (amazing though it might be) in the lap of someone with little experience of similar products and expect them to immediately like it. Starting with more userfriendly and modern-looking games is a good way to ease someone into it.

Continuing the FF-analogies, someone who first played FFX and XII (or later versions still) might try the fabled VII only to find it weird and lackluster with limited voice acting, blocky graphics and a squat, childlike character running around the world.
    edited July 2013
    Exactly, thats why you for ex give someone Dragon Age and say - well this game is a spiritual sucessor to Baldur's Gate and you can see the influence - while the graphic might look outdated, the story certainly isnt.
    Same with Final Fantasy 6,7,8 and 9. The problem with the titles before that, well maybe not Final Fantasy 5, is that they didnt really have an epic story, but more about exploration and dungeon crawling. And BG1 kind of use that formula as well, I mean, the first dungeon is actually a mine, and so is the 2nd dungeon.
    Hardly any big variations at all.

Baldur's Gate 2 managed to expand that, in my mind, by using the story and diffrent locations to make it feels less like a dungeon crawler, even if many existed.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Planescape torment is the best game they have created, surpassing Baldur's gate.
    edited July 2013
    Btw, I just checked my gametime in Baldur's Gate 1 over steam - it says 90 hours.

I wouldn't play a game for 90 hours I disliked. Now I did co-op with my friends for maybe 10-15, but singelplayer atleast 70. I just want to make it very clear, this thread was never about bashing BG1.

BG1 was an 8/10 in my book, but I wouldnt recommend it to someone new to fantasy, I would suggest dragon age or Baldur's Gate 2.
    edited July 2013
    well, in BG1 you are just a ... son to Bhaal, in Bg2 you actually become the legendary hero/evil person thats why the levels/gear make sense, and dragon slaying etc.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    raxtoren said:

zur312 said:

I would never do that on my first playthrough ;) also, im not very good but... that boss fight geez he died fast.

It's true the scripting for that boss fight is rather poor. I sent Imoen in stealthed to trigger the dialog to start the battle, and she sneaked away, and the mage ported into the middle of my party. So I chunked him. And his friends did nothing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Bg1 is more ''by the book'', a bit more ''dark''. I largely prefer bg1 because of the rarity of the magical item, if you have a splintmail+1 and a bastard sword+1 in bg1, you are a bad ass. In bg2, weapons +6 are everywhere and magical items have often 4-6 property what is a bit too much if you ask me.

SoA is pretty reasonable on this but it is certainly worse in ToB. A besieged Saradush where the local tavern is loaded with generic (as if there should be such a thing) +3 weapons and +3 ammunition.