Skip to content

Gnomes become 100 % Spell / Rod /Wand /Staff resistant by mid to late game ? ( Or close enough )

Running a Gnome F / I and only level 3.
Now I'm noticing he is almost immune to casted magic or at least take half damage. ( If any )

Walked through a Web / Entangled battle field....saved every time.
Fear or charm...bahhh.
Only AoE spells seem to have any effect .( Sometimes )

I know there are other magic effects Breath / Petrification etc.

But more then half of the magic damage and mayhem in this game is casted magic.

My Spell is at 3
My Wand / Rod / Staff is 4
Con bonus and 2 magical items.

And with level up reductions, added Con and assorted better magical bling these 2 stats should hit 0...or even negative.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Doesn't mean you will resist spells/wands, it just means you will have great saving throws. These are modified by several factors, though, so even when they're very low, they're far from automatic.

Also, many spells specifically do not actually allow saves, or if they do, they just reduce damage/effect by a bit, not negate completely.

That being said, the shorty saves are quite nice to be sure :)
    elminsterTJ_HookerSCARY_WIZARD
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    How on earth are your saves that low at that level? Dwarf F/C have the best saves in the game, and they only reach numbers like that around 220,000 xp. (Your Con/racial bonus are already included in the value you see in the character sheet, it's only temporary/gear modifiers that it shows extra on the side).
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited July 2013
    It might be unlikely but sometimes you're just that lucky. I had a horrible bad gnomish female pure thief through a no reload game and the only reason she ever got to Sarevok was midget saving throws + a shit load of luck.

And his saving throws are bugged as it's impossible to get that low with BG1 xp cap.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    SionIV said:

It might be unlikely but sometimes you're just that lucky. I had a horrible bad gnomish female pure thief through a no reload game and the only reason she ever got to Sarevok was midget saving throws + a shit load of luck.

And his saving throws are bugged as it's impossible to get that low with BG1 xp cap.

Claw of Kazgaroth and activating the Horn of Kazgaroth. Otherwise you are right. Expensive purchases though and one will take the life out of you!
    SionIVKamigoroshiRAM021
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    well 18 con thief + kazgaroth is pretty good option
    Quartz
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013
    In addition to what has already been said, having a saving throw of zero doesn't actually mean you always make your saves. You will always fail on a roll of 1, and some spells and wands have penalties to saves when trying to resist their effects.

Edit: apparently I was wrong about the critical failure part.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Quartz
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Gnome Fighter / Illusionist start with 6 and 7 with 18 Con.
    There is no luck..just class. A gnome Fighter / Thief starts with 10 and 11
    Any Gnome Fighter / Illusionist starts with this...with 18 Con of course and further Con bonuses reduce it even further.
    I may not be spell proof..but it's pretty close.
    TJ_Hooker
    I really can't see how you have 6/7 to start with as a gnome F/Il with 18 con. That's over 5 better than a dwarf.
    You add ring of Princes ( + 1 AC and + 1 saving throws. ) and certain other items it gets even lower.
    Quartz
    SionIV said:

I really can't see how you have 6/7 to start with as a gnome F/Il with 18 con. That's over 5 better than a dwarf.

Roll it yourself.

18 Con
    19 Intelligence.

You'll see

TJ_HookerQuartz
    14/6/13/15/7 on level 1, didn't think it was that low on spells.
    TJ_Hooker
    edited July 2013
    Sorry I was off by one.
    But by level 3 with the right gear and the level up it is way low now.
    3 and 4
    No need to be sorry, i was of by a mile. Just shows how little i play gnomes :)
    It's because mages have the lowest saves vs. spells and wands. Because gnomes are the only shorty race that can be a mage, they will have the lowest saves vs. spells and wands.
    RAM021
    It's turned my little spitfire into a spell ignoring, bringer of painful doom.
    Half damage at best.
    My other guys are asleep or charmed, webbed what have you...chances are I'm still up and kicking.
    Lot's of fun.
    FredjoTsyrith
    TJ_Hooker said:

It's because mages have the lowest saves vs. spells and wands. Because gnomes are the only shorty race that can be a mage, they will have the lowest saves vs. spells and wands.

Plus the bonus to saves with high Con.

ogreb said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Plus the bonus to saves with high Con.

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned gnomes being a shorty race (gnomes, dwarves, and halflings, aka shorty races, are the only ones who get saving throw bonuses from high CON).
    elminster
    Sorry my bad.
    No offense meant.
    edited July 2013
    Haha, don't worry, no offense taken. This is a nice find, by the way. I was all ready to agree with the others about how you must be wrong, or experiencing a bug, until I checked it out myself.
    ogreb
    18 Con 6 / 7
    Lvl 5/6
    Lvl 4/5
    Tome Con 3/4
    Ring 2/3 ( better bling I know exists somewhere )
    Any Con raising item 1/ 2 to 0/ 1
    Something I missed -1 / 0

Still not casted spell / wand / rod/ staff proof ?
    If not it's pretty close.

Pebbles is the most fun character I've played in the BG series ever.
    I wanted to play a fighter HO but thought the good mage options too limited.
    Picked Gnome for the heck of it.
    Only problem it looks like I'm wearing leiderhosen all the time.
    I look like a Smurf ! lol
    I look cool in armor...but mage robes are just too much.
    All I'm missing is a beer stein or a giant lollipop.
    Peace.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Basically shorties are complete f@#$in' badasses and are incredibly underrated. Their saving throw bonuses are EPIC.
    elminster
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Jalily said:

TJ_Hooker said:

In addition to what has already been said, having a saving throw of zero doesn't actually mean you always make your saves. You will always fail on a roll of 1, and some spells and wands have penalties to saves when trying to resist their effects.

Not implemented in BG.
    Which is good because it's not part of the P&P rules either. It's only combat to-hit rolls where 1 is an automatic miss.

RAM021
    Jalily said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Not implemented in BG.
    So I will be Spell / Wand / Staff / Rod immune ( save for half on some )?

All I know out of the 20 spells or so casted at me last night..75% or so failed.
    Hold person 2X in a row.
    Only at 3 / 4

Imagine this guy in BG 2..?

II love my Gnome.

And FYI...We do not like the term " shorty " !!
    We prefer vertically challenged.
    ogreb said:

So I will be Spell / Wand / Staff / Rod immune ( save for half on some )?

Well like I said, some spells have penalties to their saves. So if a spell has -2 to its save (I think Web has -2 to save, for example), and your character normally has save vs. spell of 0, your save vs. spell would become 2, meaning that you can still fail your save.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    this is also the reason why gnomes make the best fighters, their saves are amazing, and they can have 18str/con/dex, sure half orcs can have 19str/18dex/19con but their saves are just as crappy as humans/elves and half-elves, I have a multiplayer team that I made that has 3 gnome berserkers, and they just wreck shop mercilessly, and the last 3 team mates being human level 7 fighters dualed over to cleric, thief, and mage and you have yourself one badass kicking team
    Quartz
    Ok I'll give you that.

But it is pretty darn close.

2 is a long shot roll.

Even if not armored by Mystra herself , this gnomester is a blast to play !

sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I have a level 9 gnome illusionist in one of my final save files and her save vs wands is 2 and her save vs spell is 3
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    karnor00 said:

Jalily said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Not implemented in BG.
    Which is good because it's not part of the P&P rules either. It's only combat to-hit rolls where 1 is an automatic miss.

My regular DM always played with the rule that rolling a 1 always failed. Even on saves. Must have been yet another of his 'House rules' that we got. But then again, he used a fumble chart as well so....

Quartz