Skip to content

Reasonable bonuses/adjustments for half-drow?

I next plan to play a half-drow. Any suggestions to racial adjustments that won't totally unbalance the game? I use EE Keeper... Some magic resistance is on my list, but how much? And could I add something to compensate the other way around?

Haven't decided on class yet, but made the portrait mainly for a bard, blackguard or any thief kit.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There's a component of Sword Coast Stratagems that reduces the rate at which you gain reputation. You could use that and set it to a third or even less of the normal rate, to simulate the difficulty of getting people to appreciate you even if you do good deeds.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2013
    That portrait is incredible.

And I suppose 25% Magic Resistance would be reasonable, right?
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    That would actually make my runthrough easier, as I normally have parties with mixed alignements. :-D

Interesting mod though, does it work alright with EE?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'd say 25% magic resist instead of the normal half-elf bonuses to saves and you're good.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    From what I know of, Half-Drow don't really get any bonuses other than the same stuff Half-Elves get...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kaltzor Basically right.They do have a special name in the Realms for half-Drow: Crintri.
    I'm willing to bend the rules a bit here, for RPG-purposes and for the pure enjoyment. :-)
    @Schneidend Any idea on how to remove the ordinary half-elf bonuses? Can't find such an option in EE Keeper at least... :-/
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Astafas said:

Thanks @Quartz. :-) Here you can compare with the original photo of me:

Adalon would be proud!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I'd say a half-drow should receive the same discrimination as a regular drow (-2 rep)
    Should probably receive slightly diluted versions of regular drow skills.
    The upside should be that the don't suffer the same penalties for travelling a daylight as regular drow
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited July 2013
    Probably the same bonuses as a half-elf. Half-elves' abilities are considerably diluted from elves, so it stands to reason that the same thing happens with half-drow.

According to 3.5e at least, half-drow get the same bonuses as a half-elf, except receiving Darkvision instead of Low-Light Vision.

EDIT:
    Uhh, okay, bending the rules a bit then? Let's see...

10% magic resistance, +1 save vs spells, +1 DEX, -1 CON? -2 Reputation?
    I really like your suggestions there, @Flashburn. If I lower save vs spells in EE Keeper one step, will that stick or will I have to do it every time I level up?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Astafas
    Saves are recalculated every time you level up. You can apply a save penalty to your character as a permanent effect, but I don't know if EE Keeper is capable of that.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    like -4 conc for his magic res?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Half drow have no bonuses....they're identical to half-elves, except their infravision is double range. And they have a -4 reaction penalty (initial reactions are always 1 step worse then normal) from all races. (From 2nd Ed Complete Elves)

I mean hell...even a playable full drow would be lacking their abilties (they lose 10% MR and 1 special power every week they're away from the Underdark, which requires an equal amount of time to restore..technically they also go through a withdrawal, but it's entirely mental and has no physical repercussions aside from loss of their faeress-enhanced powers). Aside from base stats and their reaction, sunlight, and xp penalties. Even Viconia shouldn't have Magic resistance at all given how long she's been out of the underdark (And Jerk face should lose 10% of his every week), not even touching her complete lack of drow penalties, which are grounds enough to strip her Magic resistance anyway. And Drizzt's should be a tiny sliver of what it currently is...(higher then is possible for a drow to have at all, in fact), since while Mithril Hall's close proximity to the Underdark and his frequent returns there to battle enemies has kept some of his powers up, they are greatly diminished in effect (which he feels compelled to mention at least once in every book)...he should have 40% MR at MOST.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Astafas
    @Wisp
    Damn AD&D terminology. I meant the +1 save vs spells as a -1 bonus.

If saves are recalculated at every level up, I suppose you could console in an Amulet of Spell Warding (AMUL25) for a -2 bonus instead of an innate -1 bonus. Maybe you could think of a RP reason he has such an amulet.
    Yes, I know half-drow are supposed to be treated as normal half-elves. Still, a drow differ quite a bit from the surface elves, so why not inherite a little bit of the differences? :-)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Wisp It is possible both with NI and EEKeeper :)