Skip to content

Shadowrun returns

2»

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited August 2013

@Awong124 - so i've read but I can't seem to find a way to get downstairs!

If you haven't been downstairs yet, then you haven't yet reached the part of the story where you're permitted downstairs. That's a rather poor design decision, in my opinion - basically you can't access your inventory until you reach a certain point in the game.

It also makes no sense: somehow, you are able to send items to a stash that you do not have access to yet. I just don't get it. :P
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    There's also (technicly) a stash in your own appartment.
    A less lineair game (and while I love the game, let's admit it, it's lineair as fuck) would give you the option to visit your appartment and check your stash, but alas.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Except your apartment is 500 miles away. (he used up his last bit of cash flying out to do the investigation).

It's not that big of deal. You can access your stash temporarily whenever you buy something, and given how limited your money options are early on, even if you do buy something it's not going to make much difference.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't think they really expect you to have a lot of stuff in your inventory before you're able to access your stash.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    When speaking about this game I've come to realize that it's best to talk about two different kinds of linearity: (pretentiousness alert!!!) macro-linearity and micro-linearity.

Wait! Put down that stone you're about to chuck at me and let me explain!

For the most part, SR restricts you to one area at a time. You cannot go back to previous areas and you cannot go to a different part of the city to explore. In this sense, the game is very linear.

However, when it comes to solving quests and accomplishing minor goals in a small-scale area, the game usually lets you proceed in a number of different ways and takes into consideration your character's skills and abilities. This part is very well-executed, and it's not linear in any form.

So yeah, that's what I meant by those fedora-wearing bs terms up there: the game is linear in one sense, and not linear in another.

This effect is kinda similar to what I've seen in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, now that I think about it. Well, that game let you explore a couple of areas at a time and let you visit previous areas, but I still felt a bit restricted exploration-wise.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.