Skip to content

Help! I think a Beholder ended my Charname's Romance! *BG2 Spoilers*

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited August 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Context (with spoilers)

Charname was nice and supportive to Aerie, said all the nice/right things, until she offered to sleep with him, where he chose the noble option... The next day she thanked him for respecting her etc... There's been no romance dialogue for quite a long time, but the party has been in Spellhold/danger, so I didn't think much about it, and assumed the happy couple were in a loving relationship...

My party just ran into a Beholder in the dungeons of Spellhold, who petrified Aerie, thus removing her from party briefly. I feared this might affect the romance, and sure enough, I check Shadowkeeper and it says 'AerieRomanceActive 3', which I believe means romance ended. If it was indeed because of petrification, then that's a rather stupid mechanic, since Charname didn't abandon her, and brought her back as soon as the battle ended.

I am pretty strict about not cheating in games, but I would make exceptions in cases where I think I've been screwed by a bug or bad design.

If I reset the Aerie Romance variable to 2 using SK, will things be 'back to normal'? Or will I have to go through all the romance dialogues again (which would make no sense in RP terms, and force me to reload to before the battle.)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    The romance dialog pretty much ends after she asks to sleep with you; at least until ToB. I think you are still ok with her and everything should be fine but I'll see what I can dig up anyway.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Ok so you are in trouble. But it is easy to fix! Just set the variable back to 2 and you should be good. You won't have to do all the dialogs again either.
    CaptRory
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102

If it was indeed because of petrification, then that's a rather stupid mechanic, since Charname didn't abandon her, and brought her back as soon as the battle ended.

Yeah, petrification ends the romance (as does Imprisonment). FWIW, it's probably unintentional, however.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Alright, thanks guys. That mechanic is a bit stupid, I'm glad it didn't happen earlier and I played hours without noticing. I decided to reload just before the Beholder encounter. If it happens again, I'll just fix it with SK.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Pah... I don't know how you put up with her wimperin' ... and after all you did fer her, she gets all upset over a wee case of pretrification?! Pansy elves, can't trust em' with anythin.

The only lass worthy o' a wee bit o' care and attention is sweet Mazzy.

Hmm... actually... me needs ta find meself a Mazzy romance mod...

Lol, awesome, for a moment i thought Korgan signed up for this forum :)!
    CaptRoryelminsterDurlag_Thunderaxe
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited August 2013

Pah... I don't know how you put up with her wimperin' ... and after all you did fer her, she gets all upset over a wee case of pretrification?! Pansy elves, can't trust em' with anythin.

The only lass worthy o' a wee bit o' care and attention is sweet Mazzy.

Hmm... actually... me needs ta find meself a Mazzy romance mod...

lol... My Charname is a half-elf, and he objects to your elf-discriminating racism :P

He grew up in Candlekeep, surrounded by monks and other old people. The only girl around was Imoen, who he clearly got 'friend-zoned' by, and it's good that he never got 'lucky' with her given what he just found out in Spellhold
    She's not only 'like a little sister', she IS actually his (half) sister!

Anyways Aerie is literally the first attractive girl/elf he's met on his travels (I changed her portrait), and eye candy has a habit of making all men more tolerant of a little whining.

Oh, and he has no idea who Mazzy is.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    spoiler for mid-bg2
    Don't worry, there's ample evidence to suggest that beyond the bhaalspawn taint, gods don't actually share any genetic similarity to their children. So if you want nookie with imoen, you should be safe