Skip to content

Cleric kit - a cleric that can use sharp weapons

CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
I'd like to see a Cleric kit than can use sharp weapons. I want my sword-swinging cleric/mage :(

or sword-swinging cleric/anything, really. Mage dual-classes at least have the option of using armor, even if they can't cast in it. The cleric's restriction kinda chafes.

To those who would say it would ruin the balance, I'd like to point out that blunt is already the best damage type, and there is very little difference in other stats between blunt and sharp weapons.

And to the other side, who would say that blunt is already the best, you don't need sharp weapons, I'll reiterate; the restriction chafes.

And to those who would say that the difference between bows and slings is big, and too much for the mighty cleric, I'll say that there's a lot of argument that can be done on slings vs bows, but to keep it short, I don't think bows are necessarily better than slings.

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I agree, this would be nice. I don't have firsthand knowledge of the PnP rules, but I recall someone once posting about how priests of Helm (I think) traditionally wielding Bastard Swords. And a priest of Mask would probably use poisoned blades, right?

Meh, just another reason why I prefer 3rd edition. All of my clerics in IWD 2 wield greataxes =D
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    A Battlepriest of Tempus can be proficient in any weapon a fighter can, but gets fewer spell sphere's to draw spells from. Just Protection, War and minor Healing sphere access.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I want my fighter to be able to cast arcane spells....just saying
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't this blur the line between paladins and clerics even more?
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    There is no logical reason to restrict clerics, that's right but still I want no such class. Sword wielding clerics is a 3e thing.
    Uh...no...they're not......Clerics that worship a specific deity have different spell and equipment access that generic clerics do (which BG screws up spectacularly). That Battle priest I was talking about above is from the 2nd edition.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I wonder if we could have a special Deathstalker kit made for our cleric characters? It would make sense to me if they had an exclusive exception to the no weapons other than blunt rule other priests have.

Though Bhaal being dead is kinda an issue you could argue that you being a Bhaalspawn and Sarevok trying to force his godhood somehow made it so these powers are available to you as a cleric who isn't tied to any specific god (because it would be a bit much to have your character worshiping a dead god who winds up being your father).
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212

Uh...no...they're not......Clerics that worship a specific deity have different spell and equipment access that generic clerics do (which BG screws up spectacularly). That Battle priest I was talking about above is from the 2nd edition.

Ok, will look things up better next time.

• CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    I stand by my desire for sharp weapon clerics, however...
    I crunched the numbers on ranged weapons, and it seems I was wrong. At least, in most cases. So actually maybe I was right.

I'm going to avoid getting into the math. However, I will note that APR is fixed for everything except throwing axes - that is, neither specialization nor fighter levels can increase APR with most ranged weapons. This is the most unintuitive variable when comparing ranged weapons; pretty much everything else can be calculated with a list of weapon stats and fighter bonuses. I am also not considering the +1 THAC0 from longbows for simplicity.

With basic proficiency (in this case, anything but a fighter+cleric), you need about 18/01 Str to break even with shortbows while using a sling, and 20 Str to compete with composite longbows.

With specialization, you need around 18/00 and 22 Str, respectively. This is without considering ammunition, where bows have better and more variety.

And on a tangent, it turns out that, with high strength (19+), throwing daggers and axes can match and exceed bows. Throwing daggers are better than axes until grandmastery (or fighter 7), but there are no magic throwing daggers in BG1, while there's a +2 returning throwing axe late in the game.
    This is especially interesting because they can be used by kensai.
    edited January 2013
    Deathstalkers are basically C/Assassin in a single class (can be proficient any weapon a thief or cleric can, but MUST choose a dagger or short sword at creation), but with extremely restricted spellcasting (just Healing (inflict spells only), Necromantic (death spells only), minor Charm, and minor Combat. And MUST be Chaotic Evil only. They get a x2 BS at creation, and x3 at 13, and are proficient in use of poisons, and can use stealth at the same progression as a ranger (roughly), and can buy non-combat proficiencies from the Rogue pool at normal cost.

Once per day they can make a touch attack that forces the target to save vs death or die (1d8 +1 per 2 levels magical damage on a successful save), that gets a -1 save penalty for every 4 levels of the Deathstalker.

Requires 11 str, 13 dex, 9 wisdom, and 12 charisma

OH...and they're required to kill at least 1 intelligent humanoid every 24 hours, or lose all spellcasting powers and extra benefits until 24 hours after they've killed 2 humanoids for every missed death. (shouldn't be an issue in BG)

That's his melee focused priest anyway...most FR deities have a combat focused priest and another spellcasting focused priest that replaces the generic cleric.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

OH...and they're required to kill at least 1 intelligent humanoid every 24s, or lose all spellcasting powers and extra benefits until 24 hours after they've killed 2 humanoids for every missed death. (shouldn't be an issue in BG)

They have to kill someone every 24 seconds? Wow, that must be tough. :P
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I'm not suggesting they follow the Deathstalker class to the letter. What I was arguing is a kind of Deathstalker-like cleric, but one that doesn't actually worship the dead god Bhaal or partake in those rituals. They could make their own version of it as a kit that's got suitable bonuses for the game and doesn't require you to randomly murder someone once per day (so that a dead god you have no idea is your father is appeased lol).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Madhax said:

I agree, this would be nice. I don't have firsthand knowledge of the PnP rules, but I recall someone once posting about how priests of Helm (I think) traditionally wielding Bastard Swords. And a priest of Mask would probably use poisoned blades, right?

Meh, just another reason why I prefer 3rd edition. All of my clerics in IWD 2 wield greataxes =D

I actually think allowing a priest of helm to use swords would be sweet. Maybe just bastard and long swords.
    I've managed to sort of create a priest of helm that can use bastard swords and long swords (including 1* in proficiency). As this version stands now however you can't dual class with it while retaining access to these weapons. Also technically it gives all regular, non-multiclass clerics access to bastard swords and long swords as well (with the exception of priests of lathander and priests of talos). So technically Viconia and Brawen will be able to use them though they won't be able to have proficiency in them.

Anyways just extract the contents of this RAR file into your override folder.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Cronatos said:

I'd like to see a Cleric kit than can use sharp weapons. I want my sword-swinging cleric/mage :(

or sword-swinging cleric/anything, really. Mage dual-classes at least have the option of using armor, even if they can't cast in it. The cleric's restriction kinda chafes.

To those who would say it would ruin the balance, I'd like to point out that blunt is already the best damage type, and there is very little difference in other stats between blunt and sharp weapons.

And to the other side, who would say that blunt is already the best, you don't need sharp weapons, I'll reiterate; the restriction chafes.

And to those who would say that the difference between bows and slings is big, and too much for the mighty cleric, I'll say that there's a lot of argument that can be done on slings vs bows, but to keep it short, I don't think bows are necessarily better than slings.

An easy mod as long as you don't mind that the base class has access to whatever you give to your kit.

@eliminster

if you want dual class poh to use those weapons, you have to give mc clerics access. This won't give it to dual potalos and polathander's though it will (again) give it to dual generic clerics (and mc clerics of course).

Personally I think 3e got this one right
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think the reason why clerics cant you bladed weapons is just for my archaic lore type stuff, when you think way back in the days of dnd clerics were the type that always had a mace or warhammer or Morningstar, and mages always used a staff that was just how those types of characters were portrayed back then, and bg just wanted to keep that feel around, plus I love weapon restrictions like that, it makes it feel like the class you are playing is true to your class

Cronatos said:

An easy mod as long as you don't mind that the base class has access to whatever you give to your kit.

@eliminster

if you want dual class poh to use those weapons, you have to give mc clerics access. This won't give it to dual potalos and polathander's though it will (again) give it to dual generic clerics (and mc clerics of course).

Its just elminster. I haven't yet been turned into a female mage (eliminster) haha :D

Yea I figured out that I'd have to allow multiclass fighter/clerics to get it awhile ago. I'm not planning on doing so for RP reasons. At least the way I have it now a regular cleric can use the weapon but they can't get proficiency in it (only a priest of helm can do that).
    sarevok57 said:

I think the reason why clerics cant you bladed weapons is just for my archaic lore type stuff, when you think way back in the days of dnd clerics were the type that always had a mace or warhammer or Morningstar, and mages always used a staff that was just how those types of characters were portrayed back then, and bg just wanted to keep that feel around, plus I love weapon restrictions like that, it makes it feel like the class you are playing is true to your class

Yea I guess in my case it just felt weird that a major kit benefit (seeking sword) involved my character swinging a sword around. But once that sword spell wore off he/she became totally unable to do so. Its more of a personal issue really :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ^ hahahahaha ah Helm messing up everything for everybody, good times :)
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    elminster said:

Cronatos said:

@eliminster

Its just elminster. I haven't yet been turned into a female mage (eliminster) haha :D

Yea I figured out that I'd have to allow multiclass fighter/clerics to get it awhile ago. I'm not planning on doing so for RP reasons. At least the way I have it now a regular cleric can use the weapon but they can't get proficiency in it (only a priest of helm can do that).
    ..."i haven't yet ben turned into a female mage..." I don't get it. I didn't call you elimnstra :)

in my game I just give all weapon usability to all classes but restrict proficiency. (with exceptions like the paladin sword.) If I could find a simple way to emulate non proficiency for armors I'd do the same for them but alas!

• BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    I think it'd be nice to add in the Bulwark specialty priest kit for Clerics of Helm; I'd never play a paladin again if that were an option!