Skip to content

No More Kaedrin PrC Pack

IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
I just found out there would no longer be any releases for Kaedrin PrC Pack for Neverwinter Nights 2. Here's the mod link. What a tragic event for NWN2. And it seems even previous versions are no longer available for download. Tsk tsk

EDIT: all existing versions still remain after all; just no new releases from now on.
Post edited by Illustair on
KurumiPantalionSCARY_WIZARD[Deleted User]

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited January 2013
    The 1.42.1 single-player version is still available and I think that it will stay.. it's "just" about new releases/versions.. but these are very sad news nonetheless - his pack was one of the few reasons I kept playing NWN2!!!
    IllustairPantalion
  • FrebuFrebu Member Posts: 14
    Drama queen much.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Exactly, so much drama. And we're the ones to suffer. @Kurumi is right; without it, there goes another reason to replay NWN2. I was supposed to give NWN2 another run with the new Cyphre's PrC Pack; but the said mod requires Kaedrin's. Haven't tried persistent worlds, I will until I get to have a decent internet connection. I also read it that way, that there won't be new releases and earlier versions would still remain. Strange though, I can't seem to find download link.
    You can probably find somebody willing to host it on mediafire or something if you check the NWN2 boards.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I can sorta see his point I guess.

He has put all this work into his mod to have modders elsewhere outright plagerise his work without crediting him. I would be pissed off too.

But he is misrepresenting himself and BGEE in his little tantrum on the NWN vault. Seriously. When I read the rant I thought he was accusing Beamdog and the BGEE dev team of stealing his work for BGEE. Because he kept making accusations about the "Baldur's Gate Dev team" which to me says "Beamdog".

In reality it is a modding team creating a mod for NWN2 called Baldur's Gate The Sword Coast Chronicles, that has possibly stolen his work.
    Unless he can actually prove that they stole his work, it seems to me he is just mud slinging cos he is all petulant and pissy that someone else had similar ideas to him. And to punish everyone else for that... seems childish.

Very sad. But you get modders like that ALL the time. In every modding community.

If anyone is familiar with the Giskard saga on the TES forums will know what I mean.
    IllustairscriverSCARY_WIZARD
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Sarevok the hedgehog.

Original character do not steal
    PantalionSCARY_WIZARD
    edited January 2013
    Illustair said:

Exactly, so much drama. And we're the ones to suffer. @Kurumi is right; without it, there goes another reason to replay NWN2. I was supposed to give NWN2 another run with the new Cyphre's PrC Pack; but the said mod requires Kaedrin's. Haven't tried persistent worlds, I will until I get to have a decent internet connection. I also read it that way, that there won't be new releases and earlier versions would still remain. Strange though, I can't seem to find download link.

??? But the pack (single-player v1.42.1) is really still there on the vault (on the page you linked)... just scroll down :) ... or here... http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Download.php?id=167134
    Frebu said:

You can probably find somebody willing to host it on mediafire or something if you check the NWN2 boards.

Yupp.. that, too.. so if it should be really gone, then I guess it still could be found elsewhere.. well, and things like these are always the reason why I always make backups of mods I like :) !!!

I can sorta see his point I guess.

He has put all this work into his mod to have modders elsewhere outright plagerise his work without crediting him. I would be pissed off too.

But he is misrepresenting himself and BGEE in his little tantrum on the NWN vault. Seriously. When I read the rant I thought he was accusing Beamdog and the BGEE dev team of stealing his work for BGEE. Because he kept making accusations about the "Baldur's Gate Dev team" which to me says "Beamdog".

In reality it is a modding team creating a mod for NWN2 called Baldur's Gate The Sword Coast Chronicles, that has possibly stolen his work.
    Unless he can actually prove that they stole his work, it seems to me he is just mud slinging cos he is all petulant and pissy that someone else had similar ideas to him. And to punish everyone else for that... seems childish.

Very sad. But you get modders like that ALL the time. In every modding community.

If anyone is familiar with the Giskard saga on the TES forums will know what I mean.
    Haha I thought the same. For a minute upon reading it, I recounted the new kits included in BG:EE.:D It's true that his situation is also half-understandable though. But what happens next for him? Mod for himself? Sounds no fun at all, not only to us, but also to him.;p

@Kurumi
    Oh! I saw that, but I didn't think that was it. I don't remember the mod to be very small in file size. I thought it was just some of the leftover files like dialog.tlk

@Illustair.. ah I see.. at first I actually thought that, too but I compared it with my backups and it's really the whole shebang :) !!!
    Illustair
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @fitscotgaymer -
    While I'm not too familiar with the whole thing, the Baldur's Gate the Sword Coast Chronicles team doesn't precisely deny having copied him. They just reason that since Kaedrin released his work into the public domain there is so reason why they shouldn't have been able to use it. I'm not sure how the original fallout came to be though.

Also yeah, I remember the Giskard debacle. Such a shame, he seemed like a talented dude. Whatever happened to him?
    @scriver

They are right of course.

All the modding material could arguably be said to belong to Bioware (owners of the engine NWN2 is on), Atari (the game publishers), WotC (the universe owners), and Obsidian (the Devs) first and foremost. Not the modder himself.
    Next he is indeed releasing it for publish consumption under the common use license that modding communities generally work under as allowed by the Developers/Creators of the IP, so they are indeed entitled to use his stuff as a base for further modding.

However, he completely has a grievance. It IS his hard work that they have (supposedly) stolen. So he has every right to be pissed off. It is really poor modding etiquette. Had they done this (allegedly) in the TES modding community they would have probably been kicked out, at least kicked off of the Nexus sites at any rate.
    If they have stole his work (the onus is on him to prove that) then they may have not done anything technically wrong, but it is definately morally wrong. And I completely get why he is pissed off.

His reaction however seems... childish, as I said previously.

Giskard's problem was that he thought he knew better than every other modder in the TES community, and he actively attempted to use his mods to break compatibility with other mods because he wanted people to use ONLY his mods and no one elses.
    He went mental about people releasing work based on his work, or requiring his work, "without permission" (such as comptibility patches) one too many times and was banned from every single major TES modding site including Bethesda's own forums. Permanently.
    There was other stuff going on as well, but his inability to work with the rest of the community and his arrogant proprietary actions over the TES modding scene resulting in him being literally excommunicated. To this day his name isn't allowed to be mentioned on the official forums because of the whole bruhaha he caused. lol.

He has his "own" site that he only allows his sycophants to join or download from.
    Illustair
    @fitscotgaymer Random question not related to the discussion, did you make a thread on the NWN2 forums where people got mad because you asked for mods, and they tried to explain that in NWN2 "mods" meant modules and game enhancements were called hak packs or something? Its just your name seems slightly familiar.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    That sucks, Kaedrin's was one of the best mods out there, I'm glad I still have my copy of NWN2 installed (I checked for the latest version zip but looks like I actually cleaned out my computer this time). It was virtually mandatory content it was so comprehensive, and one of the major reasons the game was better than NWN1.

It's unfortunate, but not everyone is thick skinned enough to tolerate drama or backstabbing, hopefully when tempers cool he or someone else might pick up the pieces.
    Illustair
    edited January 2013
    Frebu said:

@fitscotgaymer Random question not related to the discussion, did you make a thread on the NWN2 forums where people got mad because you asked for mods, and they tried to explain that in NWN2 "mods" meant modules and game enhancements were called hak packs or something? Its just your name seems slightly familiar.

Yeah. That was me.

Hilarious isn't it? Because they ALL knew EXACTLY what I was asking for and were just being dicks over semantics.

I am fitscotgaymer everywhere. :-)
    IllustairEudaemonium
  • I kinda understand why Kaedrin was upset. So I thought that I would start building PRC and other Content for the NWN2. It is a game that I love to play along with BG series. So keep your eyes peeled folks. And I do not care what people do with it.
    Illustair
    That's awesome. I hope it would be of the same quality as Kaedrin. Being better wouldn't hurt either.haha and oh I remember seeing druid class pack for NWN-2, it seems really cool; just mentioning.

But what would be infinitely cool is if NWN 1 and 2 would be made to run well on multi-core systems.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    I never used Kaedrin's work for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I think his PRC pack was fantastic - I just think some of the classes needed to be toned down a little. I also get a little itchy when non-p&p spells and feats are included amongst p&p spells and feats. Don't ask me why - I'm a purist I guess.

I'm sincerely hoping somebody picks up the nwn2 toolset again though. I would personally love the 'Wildhunter' PRC to be included, so I don't have to play a crazed lunatic to be barbarian.

To be honest, I haven't seen much new stuff posted on the vault recently - is the nwn2 modding community dead? That would be a shame.