Skip to content

Automatically upload custom portraits in multi-player-sessions

PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
It would be very useful if a custom portrait would be automatically downloaded to all players involved in the multiplayer-session.

That way no-one would be a big question-mark of black-robed figure.
SabotinEleosCuvUlfgar_TorunnAldarkTingelDeltaslayersoteforar

Comments

• EleosEleos Member Posts: 48
    Yep. I think that this is an absolutely critical feature to ensure matchmaking multiplayer is successful. A "block avatar" option should be included to allow people to self censor offensive images.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Oooh! Great idea here! I wonder if some check can be made to only upload the portrait that is used? And not someone's entire portrait library.
    Eleos
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Gosh I hope no one abuses something like this, it does sound like it has major abuse potential. I don't want someone to force upload a inappropriate picture to my game.
    @smeagolheart I agree... it could be used abusively. Perhaps also add some kind of acceptance from the host to review it first? Now its getting more complicated.
    Eleos
    edited August 2012
    I guarantee it will be abused. Friends can be dorks. It's probably the first thing someone will do just like all the people in WoW that call their guy "SUooper12" or "GunBlaster" or worse.

See this thread for worse: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2444/give-viconia-a-better-portrait-for-bgee#latest
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    edited August 2012
    @Cuv - I don't think it will be that complicated. There should be a few options given to the individual players and the host on which images are visible.

Cuv
    @Eleos Okay sure... that sounds good! I don't play many games online so I don't know what is doable and not any more. The last game I played MP was BG2:P
    Eleos
    edited August 2012
    @Cuv - Yeah, it is okay. Since the rise of the MMO a lot of this kind of thing has been hashed out by many major developers. I always stand by the idea that the players should control the experience. If someone is behaving inapproriately for any reason, whether it is offensive language, inapprorpiate pictures, player killing etc the host should have full control on how that person is handled.

Conversely, some groups of people may enjoy galavanting around the Sword Coast with nudies in their avatars. For them it is totally fine, but the likelihood of those people being accepted in the average multiplayer group is extremely low. Culture and taboo behavior will have to be established by the host.

EDIT: @Smeagolheart - yes, some people will abuse it. That is the nature of playing online. If you are concerned with this your options of recourse would be to host your own game and kick abusers, make sure you are playing with a trusted host, or play only with trusted friends. Otherwise, you will have to put up with what the host allows. The risk of encountering such a troll in this game, while there, is somewhat low considering the veterans are mature players in their 30's. 12 year olds may find their way in occasionally but unfortunately that is the internet.
    Cuv
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Fantastic idea really annoying to do in the base game.
    Eleos said:

@Cuv - Yeah, it is okay. Since the rise of the MMO a lot of this kind of thing has been hashed out by many major developers. I always stand by the idea that the players should control the experience. If someone is behaving inapproriately for any reason, whether it is offensive language, inapprorpiate pictures, player killing etc the host should have full control on how that person is handled.

Conversely, some groups of people may enjoy galavanting around the Sword Coast with nudies in their avatars. For them it is totally fine, but the likelihood of those people being accepted in the average multiplayer group is extremely low. Culture and taboo behavior will have to be established by the host.

EDIT: @Smeagolheart - yes, some people will abuse it. That is the nature of playing online. If you are concerned with this your options of recourse would be to host your own game and kick abusers, make sure you are playing with a trusted host, or play only with trusted friends. Otherwise, you will have to put up with what the host allows. The risk of encountering such a troll in this game, while there, is somewhat low considering the veterans are mature players in their 30's. 12 year olds may find their way in occasionally but unfortunately that is the internet.

I think it'd be approriate to make you check a box saying you do this at your own risk if it was even being implemented.

Eleos
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited August 2012
    You could always have an option where friends who join direct & have a password have their pic uploaded by default but if you go through online matchmaking and find a random person then they don't.

Still gives it as a feature, but only to people you know & trust with the password. No way to avoid it if your friends act like prats, but such is life.