Skip to content

Games with the greatest story

renerakrenerak Member Posts: 17
edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
By the greatest, I mean the ones not with complex crap but the ones written and presented brilliantly.Post your greatest and here are mine.
Here are my top 10(Not in Order):
-To the Moon (It Takes Brilliant dedication to tell a Story Backwards and Still make it so magnificent)

-Prince of Persia: Sands of Time TRILOGY (Had A good beginning and a Great ending)

-Grand Theft Auto: Sanandrias (It feels good to pay back at people bitching and showing attitude at you..... eventually)

-Warcraft III: Frozen Throne (Warcraft should have ended here or should have had a reboot, instead they ruined the story with a fucking MMO)

-Mafia (A brilliant Tale)

-The Witcher series (Has Some brilliant writing and dialogues,.... and wtf graphics)

-Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Just watch the trailer and you will know)

-Final Fantasy IX (The only final fantasy I like)

-Ico (Not much dialogues but still wonderful)

-Xenogears (japanese games are never this mature and great)

Honarable Mentions:
-No one lives forever (Games are supposed to have this fun barks to listen)
-Disgaea 2 (Cause its fun)
-Bioshock (Cause I like the ending, the happy one)
-Most of the games by bioware have great writing. (None really stands out in particular)
Post edited by renerak on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Planescape torment
    Ever17
    Chronotrigger
    Earthbound/Mother2
  • renerakrenerak Member Posts: 17
    Haven't played any of them and I heard that chrono trigger endings are all sad so guess i'll try the other 3.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    The Legend of Dragoon
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    renerak said:

Haven't played any of them and I heard that chrono trigger endings are all sad so guess i'll try the other 3.

I doubt any game has sadder story ending than Mafia.
    Fredjo
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Heavy Rain
    StoneSwords
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Kotor
    Kotor 2
    CrevsDaak
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Red Dead Redemption. The ending was just perfect.

State_Lemming
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    1. Xenogears
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    ...After that, the list gets a bit fuzzy.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    edited August 2013
    The story about some developers of a small gaming company using swords and not words and butt kicking for goodness.
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80
    Heavy Rain
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy X
    And... Baldur's gate!
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well there's a few Final Fantasy games that's stories I think are good...
    3, 6, 8, 9, 13 and Tactics...

But for other good stuff

Tales of Vesperia
    Metal Gear Solid series
    Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    In no particular order:

Planescape: Torment
    KotOR
    Baldur's Gate 2: SoA
    Portal 2
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Metal Gear solid series, especially 'Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater'

I quite like the Mass Effect story Arch, it felt pretty complete more so with the ending DLC for the 3rd game.

I am not sure if everyone will agree but though there is a lot to be desired with 'The Elder Scrolls' games I find that the many different quests and side tracks you take to make your own version of the story and you get to really see your own character development which I feel deserves some attention. I would say there are multitude of little well written stories within those games rather than an large epic one.

I think what can really enhance a story is lore which The Elder Scrolls and Mass effect have

Baldurs gate 2: SoA was quite well written and very fleshed out

for me Age of Wonders is really well written too there are many consequences to your actions throughout its story arch and there are quite a few endings too it is the only strategy game ive played with a good storyline which I enjoyed reading.

• Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
    In random order:

Xenogears
    Chrono Trigger
    The Witcher series
    SilentHill 1 (the only silent hill game I have played)
    Planescape: Torment
    Fahrenheit/ Indigo Prophecy
    Starcraft
    - the Arthas story
    Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
  • theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2013
    Neverhood, Torment, IWD1
    Post edited by theoricus on
    edited August 2013
    Seems like I have quite a lot of games to try out.
    Wiggles said:

The story about some developers of a small gaming company using swords and not words and butt kicking for goodness.

Umm... is there a game..... about this!!

Mathuzzz said:

renerak said:

I doubt any game has sadder story ending than Mafia.
    He gets killed after he gets old so, he basically/probably lead a good life, so I don't think its sad.

Neverhood : Hard to take the game seriously.
    Valkyrie Profile: Seems good but tough conditions to get the happy end, Good game.
    Ever17 : A date simulator?
    Red Dead Redemption: haven't played it yet guess i'll try it out.
    Legend of dragoon : Well... Will give it a try.
    Heavy Rain...... It doesn't feel like a game and according to what I saw at youtube.... a sex simulator.
    Ultima 5 & Ultima 7 : I don't think i'll be able to bear those kind of graphics anymore.
    Portal : Have to try it, it looks good.
    Final fantasy 6 : heard its the best FF, so will try it.(Hopefully its not a tragedy....... Is it?)
    Silent Hill: Never liked any silent hill story but a very good horror game nonetheless.
    Fahrenheit/ Indigo Prophecy : looks very similar to heavy rain..... skeptical.
    Metal Gear : Played 1 & 2, can't say I like the story.... it has some very over the top cut scenes and narration..and stuff, but didn't really like it much. And the gameplay felt lacking for a stealth game.
    Majoca said:

I am not sure if everyone will agree but though there is a lot to be desired with 'The Elder Scrolls' games I find that the many different quests and side tracks you take to make your own version of the story and you get to really see your own character development which I feel deserves some attention. I would say there are multitude of little well written stories within those games rather than an large epic one.

I think what can really enhance a story is lore which The Elder Scrolls and Mass effect have.

In elders scrolls there is no real depth to your actions, its a wonderful adventure rpg with a good fiction written but the charcters never have the depth, but Mass Effect I agree. Hopefully Witcher 3 can combine both the open world and brilliant interaction into one, which they are promising.

Post edited by renerak on
    renerak said:

Final fantasy 6 : heard its the best FF, so will try it.(Hopefully its not a tragedy....... Is it?)

Well... Sort of yes and no...

The game itself is good and story is great, but tragic elements are very much present at parts which contain spoilers.
    Kaltzor said:

renerak said:

Well... Sort of yes and no...

The game itself is good and story is great, but tragic elements are very much present at parts which contain spoilers.
    Just Tell me, Happy ending or Sad ending.

Does the main character live happily or die tragically or live terribly?
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @renerak
    "In elders scrolls there is no real depth to your actions, its a wonderful adventure rpg with a good fiction written but the charcters never have the depth."

'No real depth to your actions' - well how many games do you play where there is true depth to your actions, you get what is scripted to happen. There is little depth to the choices you make in Mass Effect they all lead to similar goals with slight dialogue changes.

I think there is memorable characters including the daedric princes, such as sheogorath, The night mother and Hermaeus Mora plus some key people throughout the series such as Baurus, Emperor Uriel Septim VII, Gray Fox and Lucien Lachance. I think the lore and the way in which the lore is presented to you makes, like I said, lots of small well written stories that happen across the land which your playing in. I can only agree that the main quest do leave a lot to be desired for a great story telling perspective.

On the other hand much like a novel it depends on how you interact with the game and the time you invest in the lore (if there is any) this can determine whether it is a great story. Example: try reading the Silmarillion without maps and naming trees and without googling what certain names and words mean, you will find the story either boring or too hard to follow, but with some help you will find it is a brilliant and epic story well written and beautiful.

If you compare Elder Scrolls to games like Baldurs gate, what do you really know about Gorion his character has little depth? how much depth is there to the characters you meet, many people you see in the cities are called commoner or something of a description where as in elder scrolls the generic people have names and jobs albiet limited in personality.
    Well, I suppose it's a happy ending since the heroes win and all in the end for Final Fantasy 6...
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Nier
    To the Moon
    Bioshock Series
    Poker Night at the Inventory 2 (not really story at all but the dialogue is hilariously entertaining)
    edited August 2013
    Yay happy ending for ff6, ill play it.

As for elder scrolls, I realized you are gonna stand by your point no matter what I say, so.... why try.
    Still..... can't help but try, A wonderfully created world full of lore, while it can enhance the story, it is in the end the presentation and the story itself which is the definer.

For instance in Metro : Last light, Bioshock and a lot of other games, while they create a world where you are able to derive what happened from the surroundings and while the world is full of its own stories to tell, the main character(Usually the one you are playing as in a game) should be the focus and the path he takes is the focus. In games where the player himself is assumed as the main character, the stories are always lacking(there is no definite identity to the player character in the other world(even more so in RPG's)).

I am pretty sure most of my arguments seem invalid to you cause your definition of story is different from mine, while you compensate for the lackness of the world and the characters with your imagination and deep involvement, I prefer looking at stories from a third person perspective, and never as my-own.

Nier: looks good, never heard of the game, but looks quite nice so will have to try it out.
    Poker Nights: ..... ........... ...................... I HATE POKER.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Here's a little something about Nier: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1703-Nier

Usually I don't really care about reviewers opinions, but Yahtzee does seem to have quite a good taste in games, and he can spot the bullshit that the industry is pushing to gamers.

Silent Hill 2. Can't decide whether I like this for the story or the unbeatable atmosphere. Probably for the latter.

Since there seems to be a lack of shooty games, I'm going put forward Spec Ops: The Line. Average shooter with an interesting story, to say the least.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    renerak said:

Yay happy ending for ff6, ill play it.

Happy-ish. Depends on how much you did in the latter part of the game. Beelining it to the boss is not a good idea.

Once the world gets destroyed halfway through, stuff gets horribly depressing. The party's split up, you don't know who died and who didn't when you jumped off the flying exploding island of DOOM, you play only one character who wakes up from a coma after two years, the world has gone to shit and only your grandfather is alive as far as you know. And he dies. (unless you figure out how to work a very obscure subquest).
    So the only surviving member of your party climbs a cliff to kill herself, but doesn't.

From there on, it gets slightly more uplifting as you work to put the band back together (wearing sunglasses), but be prepared that for every "aww" moment, there will be a dozen "well that's fucking depressing" moments. Until you save the world. Or what's left of it.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    People suggesting Nier are correct. Forgot that one. Fantastic story
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    renerak said:

Poker Nights: ..... ........... ...................... I HATE POKER.

i'ts really not that bad. you get to play either Texas or Omaha hold 'em with Brock Samson (Venture Bros), CL4P-TR4P (Borderlands), Ashley Williams (Evil Dead), and Sam (Sam & Max) with GLAD0S (Portal) as the dealer. i'm terrible at poker (more of a blackjack kind of guy), but it is rather entertaining and as i said before, the dialogue between all of them is hilariously awesome. Reginald Van Winslow (Monkey Island) is even there to introduce you to everyone. it's a nice casual game to play when i feel like chilling =)

Imperator said:

Here's a little something about Nier: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1703-Nier

Usually I don't really care about reviewers opinions, but Yahtzee does seem to have quite a good taste in games, and he can spot the bullshit that the industry is pushing to gamers.

LOL, that was an awesome review, I have to see more of his reviews.

Drugnar:
    -First, what is the profile picture, I can't seem to make it out.
    -FF6, Nice spoiler... hopefully I can have the will to play through the entire game (or it will be broken by the drama). Looks good but, ill play it on my phone, since the sheer boredom of travelling might triumph over my will(I hate tooooooo much drama) and let me play the game.

Grim Fandango : I don't know what to make of the gameplay, kinda skeptical.

Poker Nights : I hate poker and I don't know how to play poker. Well, the funny dialogues does get my attention, I ll try it out sometime when I am dying of boredom. But looking at the no. of games I still got to try, that will be a long time from now and hopefully I'll still remember the game then.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    renerak said:

Drugnar:
    -First, what is the profile picture, I can't seem to make it out.
    -FF6, Nice spoiler... hopefully I can have the will to play through the entire game (or it will be broken by the drama). Looks good but, ill play it on my phone, since the sheer boredom of travelling might triumph over my will(I hate tooooooo much drama) and let me play the game.

*Drugar
    -Click my profile to get a bigger version, it's a dwarven battlerager in mid-charge.
    -There's not much drama overall (though some occasionally, like when an entire castle gets murdered by poison) and when it is there, it's pretty appropriate. It's a very solid game, I recommend it.