Skip to content

List of party-safe AE spells?

I typically play on Core setting and have rarely used area effect spells, due to them harming my party more than my enemies normally. The spell descriptions are inconsistent and don't provide key details if they are safe or not, so I just assume that all aren't safe, though I know this isn't the case. I'd like to enhance my experience and start using some of these spells, but I haven't had much luck searching. Could anyone provide a list of party-safe spells or, at least, point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Mage Spells
1st Level:
2nd Level:
3rd Level:
4th Level:
5th Level:
6th Level:
7th Level:
8th Level:
9th Level:

Priest Spells
1st Level:
2nd Level:
3rd Level:
4th Level:
5th Level:
6th Level:
7th Level:

Innate and Special Abilities

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The best one is probably Abi Dalzim's Horrid wilting at mage level 8.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    So I'm getting status spells are safe and damage spells aren't? So first level mage spells color spray, grease, and sleep are all safe?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Holy Smite is generally safe to use. It is safe long as your party members are all neutral/good.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Enchantment spells are generally party friendly. Damage spells are generally not party friendly. Battleground spells (AoE spells that persist for so and so many rounds) are generally not party friendly. The specifics come with the Zen of knowing the game.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Jidokwon said:

So I'm getting status spells are safe and damage spells aren't? So first level mage spells color spray, grease, and sleep are all safe?

I'm not particularly experienced, but your observation seems to be generally correct. AoE attacks that deal damage tend to harm friendlies, whereas status effects does not. There are a few notable exceptions to that rule.

Non-damage spells that affect friends and foe,
    1) Dispel Magic
    2) Web
    3) Entangle
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Persistent effects work out safer than explodey effects. It tends to be pretty easy to tell if you're too close to an ongoing web or stinking cloud effect, but its easy to catch a party member in a fireball accidentally.

Back to the topic at hand, Sleep is a perfectly safe level 1 spell.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Grease and Stinking Cloud will affect your party members.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Holy Smiting is awesome for a good aligned party. Call in fire on your own position...
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/AreaSpellChart.htm looks to list most of them. I'd swear that I've hit my party with greater command, though.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    I'm not sure about (un)holy word and false dawn in that list.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    They can, but only if the targets are valid. Holy word only effects evil characters (reverse only effects good), and false dawn only works if the target is undead (so it'll damage your skeleton warriors or any commanded undead)
    Aye, a few spells are alignment specific, so, if you're using a mix in your party, you could very well hit good or evil characters. If playing a modded game with an undead character, false dawn or turn undead should hit them. I've also heard evil clerics can use turn undead on paladins.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Greater Command is bugged in vanilla BG2. At some levels it affects the party and at some levels it doesn't. Holy Word is party friendly, while Unholy Word isn't.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    The point is that the linked site lists (un)holy word as targeting only enemies.