Skip to content

Add new mage spells

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
Additional mage spells for all levels, particularly Prismatic Spray, Prismatic wall, Summon Elemental, etc. There are plenty of interesting damage spells that can be added to the game, or even just added to the game and aren't damage spells. cf Book of Mage Spells.

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Isn't Prismatic Spray already in the game?
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    edited July 2013
    I want to see Enchant Weapon and Permanencity Damnit!
    You know, that spell that makes duration affects permanent till dispelled.

Why can't Friends last longer?! I just want to be loved :<
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Permanency, you mean? That could be interesting as well. And yes, Prismatic Spray is in the game, but what about Prismatic Wall? Antipathy/Sympathy?
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    Yeah that one. Personally, the fun I have with mages is inventing new and interesting ways to resolve issues with unusual spells that aren't "blow them to hell" damage spells.

It's a chance to be creative. That's my appeal to it. What they did in 4th edition ruined that completely. I'm always asking the GM if he's willing to include the Ritual feat and opportunities to make such an investment worthwhile.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Mages already get summon elemental (though it's supposed to be 1 spell, and you choose the type at the time of casting, rather then separate spells), and at the proper levels too.

Mages are also missing Reincarnate (A raise dead that returns the target as a random humanoid race (could be limited to just player races for balance sake)). Mind Blank, the arcane version of chaotic commands and then some.

Teleport (5th level) would be nice (though there's already a mod that adds it (though it adds as 7th level, due to acting more like greater teleport + without error), that is handled very well (Allows you to revisit Amn in ToB, if you actually played SoA with that party (only areas you actually visited), and is properly blocked from working inside Spellhold (protections against long range teleportation, though you can return to Byrnnlaw if you want to) the Underdark/Saguahin kingdom (Faeress interference), Hell/pocketplane/planar prison (teleport can't move outside the current plane and/or protections), Watcher's Keep (protections), and in Saradush (anti-teleportation spells)).

Animate Dead Animals (1st level spell from Complete Necromancer) would a nice addition. (Animates a 1/2 HD (4 hp) skeletal animal for every 2 levels of the caster), adding a little bit of extra early game summon power.
    I want Otto's Irresistible Dance! Watching Foes Shuffle Off to Buffalo would be extremely amusing.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I've modded PnP versions of Summon Shadow, Enervation, and Spectral Hand versions of Chill Touch and Ghoul touch in my own game, since I always felt that spell selection for Necromancers was rather limited.

I had to alter the Lesser Restoration spell, because it only restored psionic level drains (probably for the Black Pits), and Negative Plane Protection, since it doesn't protect against undead strength drain attacks (which it should).

I've been toying with the idea of putting together various mods I've made, including select area additions of Shade Wolves, Shadows, Wraiths, and Spectres, along with my Staff of Withering mod, and calling it "Sympathy for Necromancy." Is anyone else interested in this but me?
    the shadow magic line of spells (Illusion school) would be a nice addition. Each one can replicate all evocation or conjurations spells of at least 1 level lower (but levels of effectiveness depending on the spell used (maximum of 60% for Shadow magic to maximum of 90% for the Shade Magic spell), create any creature up to a certain HD but they only but their damage effectiveness is less then the real creature (again based on spell used) and only the Shade version can replicate their on-hit or creature abilities, or can summon 1 or more shadow creatures with total overall HD based on the version of the spell.

This would give Enchanters some offensive options, and if proper opposed schools are ever added, enchanters, illusionists, and conjurers access to evocation spells (albeit slightly weaker and requiring higher level slots).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2013
    @Mortianna I love your ideas. I've edited some areas in my game to add shadow spawn poşnts, some wraiths,spectres and even a vampire to a cave with treasure. Ofcourse, yours sound more proffesional so I am interested.

As for additional spells, some low level IWD spells could be converted, Ice dagger, Snilloc's snowball swarm, Ice lance, decastave, Girdle's electric loop, Bertyn's burning blood, Shout, vitriolic sphere, etc.This will give more elemental damage alternatives to mages, IWD was cool because it is a very elemental game:whether you used fire or ice made a huge difference against some enemies.
    @lunar Snilloc's spells are actually from the Realms. Every sourcebook for FR has tons of new spells. Snilloc's Snowball (First level) does 1-3, 1-6 against Fire Using or Dwelling creatures. Bladethirst (Level 2) makes any weapon temporarily +3 to hit. Cloak from Undead makes you invisible to Undead Creatures, Cloak Undead makes undead invisible. Mummy Touch allows the caster to inflict a mummy's rotting disease with a touch. Paralyze allows the caster to Paralyze creatures for 2-8 rounds with a touch (no saving throw). (all those are level 3). Beltyn's Burning Blood (Level 4) damages already injured creatures who are bleeding from cutting wounds. And my personal favorite, Ironguard (Level 5) negates all damage from Iron weapons, unless they are magical, and then the magic only does 1 point per "plus" of the weapon. Snilloc's Major Missile does the same damage as Magic Missile, but you get an extra missile for every 2 levels of the caster, up to level 30 (15d4+15).
    @LadyRhian cool! Most of these can be converted into bg:ee engine easily, I think.

Umm, wasn't snilloc's snowball swarm a 2nd level spell, area effect like a mini fireball, but only 1d3/lvl, 1d6/lvl to fire creatures, save vs spell for ½. Or are you saying there is a lvl 1 spell called Snilloc's snowball (no swarm) that does 1d3 damage to a single target? Is it 1d3/lvl or just 1d3? Save for ½?

Bladethirst:I don't know if spells can be cast on weapons in bg engine, but giving the target creature +3 to hit (with melee weapons only) should be easy to code.

Cloak from Undead:this is the equivelant of a pro from undead scroll in the game. How long does it last?

Mummy Touch and Paralyse should be easiest to code, just create an .itm file that copies the mummy's touch in the game, or a paralyse effect with no save. Though, random duration of the paralysis may be tricky to code.

Ironguard seems nice, but we allready have 'Protection from Normal Weapons' that covers all normal weapons, including non-metal ones (clubs, staves, arrows, etc). Though magical weapons do full damage to the caster, whereas Ironguard still offers very good protection. But from what I understand, a club, either magical or normal, will still bash the caster's brains in. ^^

Love Snilloc's Major Missile, should be easiest to code.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    All of the IWD spells, including Snilloc's Snowball Swarm and Mind Blank, are available as part of IWDification.
    @CamDawg wow, that looks HUGE! Very nice!
    @lunar Snilloc's Snowball (No swarm) creates a single missile, and is a first level spell. :) And yes, you can still get your brains bashed in by a non-metal weapon. But it can also be used to literally walk through bars or any barrier of iron. Needless to say, if you are in the middle of something when the spell runs out, it could result in a rather messy end to your character... Both Cloak Undead and Cloak from Undead last 1 round per level. The other interesting thing is that if you cast Ironguard on someone like a monk- they are able to attack armored opponents as if they are unarmored with their bare hands- if they are wearing normal armor. Magical metal armor prevents that. However, a creature affected by Ironguard also can't use any metal weapons- the weapons pass through their hands as if they weren't there. There is another third level spell called "Waves of Weariness" that makes your opponents extremely fatigued for one round.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Agree. More spell variety would be a great thing.
    I particularly want to see H̶a̶r̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶k̶e̶ Otto's Irresistable dance
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I would like to see some spells from " The darkest day " , espacially the otiluke ones they are really awesome
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    edited August 2013
    I think the addition of some extra 2nd edition spells would be awesome, not to mention it would be good to discuss some old school home brew spells if anyone remembers any :) Maybe they could be balanced and put into a spell pack at some point :) Have the BG:EE Forum spellpack hehe :)

Edit: Also, Necro'd
    @IchigoRXC I have an entire book of those I downloaded from the internet back in the day when AD&D had its own area on AOL, and a lot of them are horrendously overpowered. I have a bunch of magic items from the same source, and they are just as bad. I kid you not, there are gauntlets of "Asif" and "NotEven". ::sigh.:: Yes, I made my own spells and magic items, but I hope mine are not overpowered and/or horrible. My worst/funniest spell was the 2nd level spell "Surge", which makes every spell you cast as a wild mage, not just wildmage spells, ALWAYS surge. Although it's noted in the Spell Description that the creator of the Spell was crazy and fell wildly in love with a Purple Worm and disappeared afterwards (one of the original wild surge results was "caster falls wildly in love with target" as well as "Target falls wildly in love with caster").
    That sounds like a fantastic spell. I would really love to see what some of the old PnP'ers have used in the past and see if we can balance them :) Would be truly awesome. I will have to see if I can find any of my old notepads. I reckon I made some imba stuff back in the day, but I think I had some basic variations on some spells too :)
    I still have the files in Microsoft Word, if you want them. I printed them on my old laser printer and had them bound into books (separated into level and then Alphabetized, because I am OCD like that). I only recall some of my own. I did a whole series of Elemental-esque spells, with names like "Element Walk", where you chose an element, and it made you able to walk on it. Fire Walk allowed you to walk over fire and lava. Water Walk being self-explanatory, and "Air Walk" allowed you to walk over any obstacle, because you were literally walking on air. I also created a Level 9 Spell called "Conjure Greater Elemental" which allowed the summoning of Elementals with 3 times the hit dice of Ordinary Elementals, or if 50,000 gp value of gems were used in the Summoning, allowed the Summoning of a true Greater Elemental in a humanoid form with 4 to 5 times the hit dice of an Ordinary Elemental who were of Neutral Alignment, and who could befriend a mage, possibly coming if he cast the spell again.
    I would definitely like to look through that word document. I do enjoy reading through spells and what not. :) Spell creation is one of my favourite things, balancing them is another matter (not that the spells in BG are balanced, not by a long shot)
    I was thinking that maybe some more of the Greyhawk spells could slip through.. we have Tenser, Bigby, Mordenkainen and Otiluke. Why not Drawmij's marvelous shield, maybe Otto's tin soldiers and obviously as mentioned earlier Otto's irresistible dance.
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    Adding more spellsis always a good idea ;)
    Here are some from the Complete Wizard's Handbook:

2nd level- Choke, which is a necromancy spell that materializes a pair of bony hands to choke the target of the spell (must be within 30 feet of the caster). It causes 1-4 damage per round and prevents the target from casting spells. Filter (Abj) is like Zone of Sweet Air and protects against everything but Green Dragon Breath (you only take half damage from that, though). Ice Knife (Evoc.) creates a knife of Ice that you throw. It does 1d4 damage, plus a wave of cold that numbs everyone within 5 feet of the target. Numbed creatures are restricted to half movement and have a -2 to hit. But there is a save given.

3rd Level- Bone Club (Ench./Nec.) enchants a bone, making it a club +4 vs undead only, and a +1 club against anything else. It lasts 1 round per level. Delay Death (Ench./Nec.) keeps characters alive until they reach -10 hit points rather than 0. Iron Mind (Abj.) Prevents charming and hold spells from affecting the character for 1 hour. Pain Touch (Div.) Keeps the target in pain, giving them -2 to hit, +2 to their AC (worsens). It lasts one round per level.

4th Level- Fire Aura (Abj.) Makes the person protected completely immune to fire, even magical fire for 2 rounds per level. Anyone touching the person so shielded goes up in green flames for 2-8 damage that lasts 2-8 rounds. They can only be extinguished by Dispel Magic, and cause an additional 1-6 damage for every round after the first. Being on fire gives the victim a -2 to hit. Halo of Eyes (Abj./Conj.) creates a row of eyes around the top of the caster's head. They have 60' infravision and while they cannot see invisible, they prevent the caster from being backstabbed or taken by surprise by attacks from the rear. It lasts 1 turn per level of the caster.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2013
    Some of my favorite spells from second edition include:

Cloak of Adeamozs Level: 3
    (Abjuration)
    Range: 0
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Casting Time: 3
    Area of Effect: 1 being
    Saving Throw: None
    Description: This spell protects the caster, or a single spell recipient being touched during casting, against spells of 3rd
    level or less and equivalent magical item discharges. It does not prevent such magics from reaching or affecting the protected being (having no effect on saving throws and the like), but lessens damage done by such attacks. For spells that inflict random damage, a cloak of Adeamozs reduces their harm by 3 points of damage per die for 1st-level spells, 2 points per die for 2nd-level spells, and 1 point per die for 3rd-level spells. For spells that cause a set amount of damage or a certain base amount augmented by a number of points per level of the caster, a cloak of Adeamozs reduces the damage by 12 points for 1st-level spells, 8 points for 2nd-level spells, and 4 points for 3rd-level spells.
    The material components of this spell are a handful of iron filings from metal that was once part of a plate worn as body armor and a scrap of cobweb.

Galather’s Gnostic Chain Level: 4
    (Enchantment/Charm, Evocation)
    Range: 10 feet/level
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: 1 being
    Saving Throw: Special
    Description: Galather was an elven mage who won many spell duels during his long adventuring career by means of this spell, until the Simbul defeated him. Galather’'s gnostic chain is effective only on spellcasting beings. If cast on a being using magic or magiclike forces that are the result of psionics, natural spell-like powers, or magical items, the spell is wasted.
    The chain appears as a glowing, snakelike spiral of light in the air above the chosen target, and settles down on him or her. The chain can form even if the target is invisible or surrounded by magical barriers. There is no known way to escape a gnostic chain as it forms. If the chosen victim is not a spellcaster, the chain falls past him or her to the ground and vanishes in a harmless chaos of winking lights.
    On the round after the gnostic chain is cast, it affects the chosen victim. The victim is forced to cast only spells of the same level as the last spell cast before being affected by the chain. The victim may choose which spell (if more than one remains) and when to cast, but any magic she or he works must be of that spell level— except magical items triggered or scrolls read. If all memorized spells of that level have been exhausted, the being has to engage in study before being able to cast spells again.
    A gnostic chain is immune to dispel magic. It can only be escaped by a successful saving throw vs. spell. The first saving throw allowed to the victim is two rounds after being affected, and it is made at a penalty of -6. The second saving throw, two rounds later, is at -5, the third is at -4, and so on. The penalty decreases to zero (0) and then becomes a bonus of +1 added every other round until a maximum +6 bonus is reached, whereupon the modifiers reduce by 1 again until -6 is reached, and the cycle begins anew. If a saving throw is ever successfully made, the spell is broken. The death of the victim also ends the spell. A resurrected or raised victim is free of it.
    The material components of a gnostic chain are at least three joined links of any sort and size of chain, a lock that has been used to confine any living being in the past, and a horseshoe nail. All the components are consumed in the spell’s casting.

Kyri's Chain of Events Level: 4
    (Enchantment/Charm)
    Range: 150 yards
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Area of Effect: 1 humanoid
    Save: Special
    Description: This spell creates a brief streak of bad luck for the targeted being. First, the next attack roll the being makes (for whatever reason) is considered a 1 for all purposes and consequences. After this occurs, the next attack roll made against the "chained one" is automatically considered a 20 for all purposes and consequences. Once this happens, the next spell cast, psionic power used, or magical item employed, mysteriously fails for the being and is wasted. Finally, after all this, some fiendish but harmless misfortune befalls the "chained one" at any time of the DM's choosing thereafter (DM's are encouraged to be maliciously humorous on this last one, but must remember that it can't be anything that causes physical harm to the being...e.g. IRS shows up, in-laws visit unexpectedly, the arch villain gets off on a technicality, or anything else that disgruntle the being.). The target of this spell is marked by a tattoo of 4 chain-links on their right wrist (or equivalent). As each curse occurs, the being must make a save vs. spell -4, success means that the being avoids that part of the curse and it moves on to it's next segment. Also the "chained one" hears the shattering of a chain-link and Kyri's bubbling laughter each time a curse occurs (whether or not it was successful) and a link fades from the target's wrist. Clergy of Beshaba are immune to this spell and clergy of Tymora can dispel it's effects with a Bless spell. A remove curse from any source instantly dispels the chain's effects.

Kyri's Flame Trance Level: 5
    (Alteration)
    Range: 0
    Components: V
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: Caster
    Save: None
    Description: This spell places the caster in a state identical to a Feign Death spell. The one difference is that the caster's spirit wanders her mind and can perceive her memorized spells as small pillars of silver flame. These flames can be unraveled and their energy transformed into magical healing. Spells so unraveled are considered wiped from memory until the caster has time to rest and study her spellbooks. Spells spent in this way recover 1 hit point/level of the spell unraveled, but this healing occurs very slowly and requires 1 turn/level of the spells sacrificed. The caster can linger in this state until she no longer has spells in memory, at which time she will awaken. This spell cannot be cast if the caster has no other spells in memory. If a great amount of spell levels are expended, certain other benefits are visited upon the caster. If more than 9 spell levels are spent, the caster receives a Cure Disease effect. If more than 12 spell levels are spent, the caster benefits as if she received a Neutralize Poison. And finally if more than 15 spell levels are spent, any broken bones or critical injuries are mended, though this does not heal any hit points, it will allow the recovery of hit points normally unrecoverable until the injury was healed. This spell is very useful when combined with the Contingency spell.

Kyri's Spell Transference Level: 7
    (Alteration)
    Range: Touch
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time 1 round
    Area of Effect: 1 spellcaster
    Save: None
    Description: This spell allows the caster to imbue a being with up to 2 spells from her memory. these Spells are considered wiped from the caster's mind and free the spell slots they occupied. In turn the recipient can now cast these spells once. The recipient must be a being who can memorize wizard spells though the spells given can be of any level or school, and can be wielded by the recipient without restriction. When released, the spells are cast at the level of the original wizard but are under the complete control of the being releasing them. Such spells remain in the recipient's mind for up to 1 day/level of the original caster or until released. When released, the spell has a casting time of 2 but can be disrupted if the releaser suffers damage or fails a saving throw. A being can only be under the effects of one spell transference at a time and cannot benefit from spells such as Imbue With Spell Ability, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, or other spells that increase the amount of spells in a being's mind, nor can the affected being benefit from magical items with the same effects such as rings of wizardry.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    What about more divine caster spells? Cos Clerics are really sub used in BG/BG2 in comparison with mages. Some versions of Breach, ruby ray of reversal, Khelben's Warding Whip, spell pierce, mantle, globe of invulnerability and etc...

By the way, BG works clerical spells only to the top of lvl 7 spells, however seems me a bit unjust to put in comparison a lvl 5 mage spell and a lvl 5 cleric spells when they have to face a globe of invulnerability, from my view point clerics are a lot harmed in BG/BG2, so even if a spells is at the 5° level circle of a cleric, his effects maybe should be considered from higher circles for reasons of spell block, absorb or reflect.
    edited September 2013
    Because that's not a cleric's job....Also clerics get nearly double the spells per day mages do, even accounting for mages having 8/9th levels.

Clerics have more capacitiy, fewer restrictions, but also their spells tend to be weaker in some aspects. On the other hand they also have stuff a mage cannot do or requires extremely high level spells to accomplish

That said though....Spell Immunity is actually supposed to be a cleric spell, instead of a mage spell (it works similar to Globe of invulerability, except it only effects spells of the chosen school up to 4th level, instead of all spells up to 4th like the mage version does).

The mage version of spell immunity is 8th level and just grants a flat +10 bonus to saves vs spells, instead og blocking spells.

Also chaotic commands is supposed to reflect the effects it blocks back on their caster.

And shield of archons is almost identical to spell trap aside from not using absorbed spells to refill expended slots.

Also NOTHING is supposed to block dispel magic, doesn't matter if it's a spell or racial immunity. (Though some protective spells like Globes, Spell trap, or Shield of Archons will protect other effects from dispel magic, if the dispel fails to remove them first. Racial immunity never blocks dispel magic) Dispel magic is a universal removal spell and works on anything,, but unlike specialized removal spells which generally don't allow a save, dispel magic has a chance of failure.

In other words, most of the problems are with Bioware's $%#^%^ coding...as usual.
  • NordomNordom Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2013
    And don't forget to expend wild spell selection!
    You can find good example of implementation in Wild Mage Additions mod
    http://mods.jo-ge.net/bg/dl/Spells.pdf

I just luuuv 7th lvl "Summon Cow"..
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @ZanathKariashi in fact you're wrong in this, almost all mage spells have a counter part for clerics by PnP, ok 3° edition is a bit different, but even then in the AD&D spell possibilities the game fails in representate clerical spells.

Icewind Dale for example is an excelent example of well made druid spells, a mage in baldur's gate is yet more powerful than a druid in Icewind Dale, still they're closer than a cleric and a mage in baldur's gate.
    3rd edition has nothing to do with 2nd edition. 3rd added counterparts to homogenize everything now that anyone could be anything. It's why they buffed divine casting up to 9th level as well.

And yes...I'm 100% correct actually, since I've been digging through the source books over the last couple days making a list of spells that could be added.

Clerics get nearly all of the non-campaign specific spells, including several supplement book spells. There's really nothing else to add that would work in BG, other then a handful of FR specific spells, none of which do what you're wanting to happen (2nd edition clerics just aren't built for that).

Druids on the other hand didn't get $%#^. I have nothing against buffing Druids, but their spell list is only part of the problem. Their shapeshifting also needs a lot of love.

As I mentioned earlier...clerics don't need new spells.

They need to have Chaotic Commands tweaked to work properly (adding the missing reflection effect for the spells/abilities it blocks)

Remove Spell Immunity (5th) from Mages (they have no such spell that works even remotely similar to that spell) and give it to clerics (toned down to only affect spells up to 4th level, as proper).

That's it...that's all clerics need to have done to them.

The other change is more universal. Fixing Dispel magic to work correctly. Racial immunity has no effect on dispel magic. And spell protections (such as Globe or Spell trap) only block dispel magic if it fails to remove them (i.e. the spells itself isn't immune to dispel, but if it isn't dispelled it will prevent the dispel from working on anything else.)

As long as dispel magic works properly, Clerics will have a universal magic remover, that due to their generally faster leveling, will always work better then a mage of similar experience total (aside for that little band between 8-11).

A large part of the seeming imbalance isn't because clerics are lacking spells, it's because mage spells are lacking penalties/horrible implementation, and the lack of rest limits (and Wish being FAR more powerful then it should be) makes the Clerics ridiculous spell capacity pointless. Mages are worthless without spells/back-up casting items...clerics without spells are fighters who don't get bonus attacks and are "limited" to a selection of great weapon types.