Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2013
    Glad to see you guys are back on track! I've been checking in ever week or so to see when the troubles were past, and hopefully they are (though everything seems pretty vague still).

Would it make sense for you all to post a new News thread saying as much? I almost missed the fact that BG:EE is back in action, since the announcement is buried under four pages of Patch info and the last News thread concerning the delays was locked due to randomly turning into a gay romance discussion.

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there an actual patch notes list somewhere on these forums or are we waiting for the release of the patch for specifics? I get the main intent of the patch (renderer, etc.), but I've had a Dragon Disciple game on hold since patch 2014 waiting for his breath weapon to work properly and I'm eager to see if any work has been done on that sort of thing.

I'll be playing the hell out of the open Beta once you release it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Madhax said:

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there an actual patch notes list somewhere on these forums or are we waiting for the release of the patch for specifics? I get the main intent of the patch (renderer, etc.), but I've had a Dragon Disciple game on hold since patch 2014 waiting for his breath weapon to work properly and I'm eager to see if any work has been done on that sort of thing.

I'll be playing the hell out of the open Beta once you release it.

There's a partial list here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19010/patch-status

We'll probably post something more comprehensive closer to release, although it's a very, very long list, so it might take a while to compile and sort everything (and then make into a post that doesn't make people's eyes bleed).
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    Have the contract problems you just went trough made a EE version of Icewind Dale More or less likely?

And btw, thanks alot for all the work you are throwing into these old games, much appreciated :)
    ElectricMonk
    Kharas said:

Have the contract problems you just went trough made a EE version of Icewind Dale More or less likely?

And btw, thanks alot for all the work you are throwing into these old games, much appreciated :)

The contract issues were related to BG:EE, so I don't think they affected anything else we might do in the future.
  • peteepetee Member Posts: 4
    What's the deal with the new mulitplayer features.... Are we going to have a multiplayer lobby?

How will hosting multiplayer games work? I'd like to be able to setup a dedicated server and just leave it running. Will I be able to do that or will I only be able to host a game if I'm an active player in that game?
    Jairyanna
    petee said:

What's the deal with the new mulitplayer features.... Are we going to have a multiplayer lobby?

How will hosting multiplayer games work? I'd like to be able to setup a dedicated server and just leave it running. Will I be able to do that or will I only be able to host a game if I'm an active player in that game?

Ah, sorry--I saw your question before, but didn't get around to answering it.

Multiplayer will work more or less the way it does now, except that when the host creates a game, it will show up on a list of games (by session name) that other players can view. As a player, you'll then be able to join the game by its name (instead of the host's IP address).

So you won't be able to set up your own server, no; you'll need to be a player in the game itself in order to host a game. We may look at other options down the line, but for the moment that's how it will work.
    rdarkenItomon
    holodar said:

Is it really so difficult to release a mini-patch with all complited localizations? Beta testing is a long-term undertaking, and those who ALREADY bought the game, NOW want to play in their native language.

I've got some more information regarding the Russian translation for you:

We do have the completed text translation, but we're still waiting on the voice-work. But we'll make sure that the text is included in the Open Beta.
    elminsterAntonermoJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    What colour is the new GUI based on? Is blue just like BG:EE's original GUI colour? Or perhaps something entirely new, such as neon pink with Care Bears Hamsters motives on it?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2013
    Cerevant said:

What colour is the new GUI based on? Is blue just like BG:EE's original GUI colour? Or perhaps something entirely new, such as neon pink with Care Bears Hamsters motives on it?

Damn. Alright, who broke NDA?

Looks like someone let the hamsters out of the magic bag :)
    edited August 2013

It's a cleaner version of the existing UI that scales better for high-resolution displays and uses less screen space overall. I can't say much more than that, but I can assure you that hamsters do don't make an appearance.
    KamigoroshiermoelminsterCrevsDaak
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    So, then, it's not possible to participate if you bought on Steam?
    kab said:

So, then, it's not possible to participate if you bought on Steam?

That's correct. Steam updates take too long to allow for quick fixes as issues arise, so the Open Beta will just be for people who bought through Beamdog.com.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    So to clarify about the multiplayer. Is it going to be like Torchlight 2? Where someone can set up a game (say "elminster's game") and other players around the world will be able to see the game and join it (but the game itself will be hosted by that player and not use Beamdog servers).
    elminster said:

So to clarify about the multiplayer. Is it going to be like Torchlight 2? Where someone can set up a game (say "elminster's game") and other players around the world will be able to see the game and join it (but the game itself will be hosted by that player and not use Beamdog servers).

That's correct. We'll take care of the initial connection on our end, but once the game is set up the host's resources are used. (Which means that you can still play multiplayer games with mods installed, as long as everyone has the same mod configurations.)
    elminsterAnton
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    But the option to play a LAN game via direct IP connection (no internet required) will remain in the game, right?
    elminsterlolien
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    That's unfortunate. Would have thought you could apply the update directly to the game files under the Steam folder, aside from the executable... oh blah you're messing with the executable a lot aren't you.
  • aqzinaaqzina Member Posts: 28
    Dee said:

elminster said:

That's correct. We'll take care of the initial connection on our end, but once the game is set up the host's resources are used. (Which means that you can still play multiplayer games with mods installed, as long as everyone has the same mod configurations.)
    @Dee Do you guys have anything planned for an easy way to check whether everyone in a multiplayer game has the same mod configurations before the game starts? It could be nice to have a tool on everyone's side that checks (real time. or not) the md5 of each file and somehow communicates that some files are different? It would be awesome to share the mod configurations as well (such as host broadcasting everyone his/her configuration and the guests downloading) I can understand for heavily modded configurations this might be cumbersome, but nevertheless such a tool would simplify the mod configuration issues. Maybe this could also be a way to have other platforms modded.

The more I think, the more I like the idea :) Should I instead create a feature request for this?
    ermoFlashburnelminsterGrieg
    @aqzina
    I would post a feature request, yes. I can't guarantee it will be implemented, but it will at least be looked at.
    ermo

I've got a question.

Why is Thundersoul so very, very awesome?

Some things are just true, and it is not for us to ask why.
    elminsterFredjoElectricMonkCrevsDaak
    Adul said:

But the option to play a LAN game via direct IP connection (no internet required) will remain in the game, right?

That's correct, we haven't removed the TCP/IP protocol, for those who still wish to wrangle with port forwarding and the like.
    Adul
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Because I want to beat a dead horse further... Only Beamdog client will support the open beta for Windows users? And we no longer need a third party support application (like Hamachi or Game Ranger) to play LAN/online?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Did something happen in the land of Baldur's Gate? Or something changed with the forum? There's way more people active tonight than usual... according to "Who's Online" anyway.
    elminster
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Yes something big happened, patch news was has been released and sale of the game re-opened not long ago. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
    sarevok57Starflower2525
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    IchigoRXC said:

Yes something big happened, patch news was has been released and sale of the game re-opened not long ago. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

Nah that happened a few days ago. The sharp increase in 'forum member active' only began tonight. I suspect it has something to do with forum change, cos actual activity hasn't really increased as far as I can tell.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Where can I read about an open beta? It's being discussed here and in the Patch Status thread like some info has been posted.. but I don't see anything other than references to it existing.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2013
    @agris There's no official announcement thread for it yet if that's what you're looking for.
    It won't happen for another couple of weeks yet; as soon as we solidify some of the logistical details we'll post an official announcement in the News section; for now, if you have questions about the Open Beta you can ask them here.
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    All I can say is, it better be Tuesday.
This discussion has been closed.