I finally completed the game with SCS installed. As you know this mod is a must have for those who have a good understanding of the game mechanics, especially in BG2, and even though it makes the game more challenging, I think it makes the game more realistic as well.
Nevertheless the one fight I’ve found to be really hard is the final battle. I was waiting for the new patch to come, but when I heard that BGEE was on hold I decided to start a game with a custom party (which I never do), trying to create some powerful builds (mostly duals). And this party was powerful enough to kill his way through demonknights, cultists, werewolves and whatever with ease.
So I’m standing out of the temple, characters are max level, best gear at my disposal, spell books are filled and I have all kinds of potions, scrolls, magic arrows… But first, some hints about this fight:
- Sarevok is a beast: 3APR, -9THAC0 (better than drizzt), -6 AC, 25+ damage, permanent haste, plenty MR, and, as you know, he can’t be killed until all of his friends are dead
- Angelo and Semaj are both level 12 mages, and you know how funny SCS mages are (both can cast PfMW)
- Tazok is probably the weak link of the group, but at the start of the fight he drinks so many battle potions that he also hits hard and often, and his berserker rage makes him immune to most disabling effects for some time
- Diarmid (the new guy) is a fighter/archer who reads a scroll of protection from magic at the start of the battle and loves to fire arrows of biting to your mages. He works really well with Angelo, since the later loves to cast dispel magic and often success at it.
- Something that I didn’t remembered, anytime you kill one of them, an hostile skeleton warrior appears from the dead corpse (yes, the ones worth 4.000xp)
- As you can see there’s no way you can effectively tank sarevok with just one character. Assuming AC -16 vs slashing (-9 plus full plate modifiers plus girdle) he still hits 65% of the time. Given his APR and high damage output is really hard to survive him more than 2 or 3 rounds. Besides there are 4 more people to worry about. Summons aren’t really useful; when not simply ignored they are killed in a heartbeat.
My first attempt was somewhat chaotic. I managed to win the fight, but everyone died except charname (swash 5 -> Fighter 8).
My second attempt was much better. Instead of waiting for them to come to me, I sent the fighters ahead. Speed is the key to this battle. I had all my 3 fighters protected from magic and drinking lots of potions; mage, sorcerer and avenger were casting spells like there was no tomorrow, especially web, chaos, slow, summons, pro-normal missiles, minor globe, confusion, emotion, spellthrust, insects… They always kept a good distance of course… First one to fall is Tazok, then Diarmid, Semaj, and Angelo. Time for the skeletons and finally Sarevok. Nice!
But now that it's done I have a question, have you ever solo this fight? Because I think it would be quite hard. I guess an elf F/M with a whole arsenal of pro-magic scrolls, potions, arrows of detonation, arrows of dispelling… might have a chance. You know, making yourself immune to magic AND physical attacks while running around and fireballing everybody. But still, dropping sarevok’s 250 [email protected]
wouldn’t be easy… What do you think?