Skip to content

Will you guys improve or add new content to the expansion in BGEE2?

raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
I obviously mean, TOB, which could need some , eh "fixing"? Maybe new areas etc... Because BG2 itself is more then fine, so please dont focus mainly on that. But yes, the expansion is short, and lets be honest, wasnt the best.
Also will you include David Gaiders "fix"? the storywriter from Bioware fixed a lot of the story+ bosses with his own unoffical patch.

ps! will you also improve Aerie's stats, the people demand it-.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I can't comment on ToB cos I haven't got there yet (also means I will stay away from this thread from this point onwards due to an expected debate that will likely contain spoilers for me :D)... but I don't think they can make major changes due to contract restrictions.

As for Aerie. What's wrong with her stats? She's arguably my 3rd most powerful character, after Charname and Anomen, and been consistently useful since I picked her up at the circus. I like how most NPCs have obvious strengths and weaknesses, and I've managed to compensate for Aerie's glaring weakness.

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Aerie doesn't need improved. She is already an annoying Mary Sue. If anything she needs nerfed and a personality transplant to make her not annoying.

I hope that they do add content to BG2EE; especially now with Atari going the way of the dodo Overhaul could maybe get a bit more control.

The Romances all desperately need overhauled to not be unhealthy strange messes. And as you said ToB needs padded out a little to make it feel a little less flash in the pan. A little more choice when it comes to NPC companion selection might be nice too.
    GoodSteve
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Why? How would you improve Aerie's stats, anyway? You could raise her INT and WIS slightly to make her a slightly better spell caster, but only slightly... she's already pretty damn powerful. You can achieve that through items and things you find through the game as well. Her only big weakness is her constitution and hit points, but so long as she's not leading the party through the dungeons it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I think I can safely say we won't be making sweeping changes to romances or quests, though we're definitely bringing back Dorn, Neera and Rasaad (with the addition of a new NPC, as has been mentioned a few times previously).
    SCARY_WIZARDNecdilzor
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited August 2013
    @fitscotgaymer obviously doesn't know who "Mary sue" is.

I have no doubt that Throne of Bhaal could use some improvements, but let's be honest at least once. The thing David Gaider created is not "unofficial patch", but a "mod". Furthermore, mod, thanks to which I (and not only I) won't be able to finish the game, just because of difficulty level. It basically would force me to powerbuild, and that's not how Baldur's Gate should be played.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on

Aerie doesn't need improved. She is already an annoying Mary Sue. If anything she needs nerfed and a personality transplant to make her not annoying.

The Romances all desperately need overhauled to not be unhealthy strange messes.

*Sighs*... You do know your view is not in the majority by any stretch of the imagination?

Personally I like the Aerie romance, I haven't tried Viconia, and probably wouldn't like it, and I think the Jaheira romance is a bit inappropriate.

However, I know plenty of people do love Viconia and Jaheira, so I wouldn't imagine making demands to make Viconia a bit fluffier, or somehow ban the Jaheira romance just cos I don't like it.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Just gonna pop in with the obligatory 'be cool, everyone.' We're all entitled to our opinions. :)
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2013
    Coutelier said:

Why? How would you improve Aerie's stats, anyway? You could raise her INT and WIS slightly to make her a slightly better spell caster, but only slightly... she's already pretty damn powerful. You can achieve that through items and things you find through the game as well. Her only big weakness is her constitution and hit points, but so long as she's not leading the party through the dungeons it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Strength: 10
    Dexterity: 17 <--- this is okay, the people accept it!
    Constitution: 9 <--- not okay! Really, come on guys...
    Intelligence: 16 <--- the people want it to be 17 atleast
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2013
    Aerie's stats are not going to be changed.

EDIT: To clarify, her stats are definitely not going to be changed if you don't post a request in the Feature Requests forum. :)
    SCARY_WIZARDMontresor_SPFredjo
    edited August 2013
    Dee said:

Aerie's stats are not going to be changed.

Can you, as a developer really defend her terrible stats?
    This is suppoed to be an enhanced version and her stats need a "fix".
    If you guys do a voting you will see that 95% of the community will agree with me.

I talked with my sister and brother and 4 friends, 3 of my friends agree with me.

Montresor_SP
    I don't wanna cheat or abuse some system, however Aerie's stats are broken.

I was a kid last time I played BG2 and remember how often Minsc got angry for Aerie dying.
    But even as a child I managed to finish the game - but I do remember how easy Aerie fell in battle.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2013
    Ahem. I do know what a Mary Sue is.

A Mary Sue is a character this is beloved by practically every other character. Which Aerie is (not counting the Evil characters).
    A Mary Sue is a character this is exceedingly powerful. Which Aerie is. Gameplay wise she kicks ass.
    A Mary Sue is a character whose arc is as loud obnoxious and intrusive as they are. Aerie's character arc is pretty damn intrusive.

There is really no need to be rude. As Kaeloree said, we are all entitled to our opinions. IMO, Aerie qualifies as a Mary Sue (admittedly only just but she defo qualifies).

If they dialed her back just a smidgen, made it so the romance didn't auto begin and didn't take over all interactions with her, made her a slightly less "oh my god im broken!"
    I get she has been through a terrible time and is still hurting about it but she is constantly talking about it. She whines more than Carth.
    It seems to me that someone like Aerie ought to be more focussed on moving on rather than staying in place.

I am not against the romances by any stretch, and I get why people like Aerie (she is very sweet when she isn't whinging about everything), like Jaheira (she has a very maternal personality), and like Viconia (she's pretty badass) but just taking the romances as they are... they aren't very good.
    I'd like the romances to stay, I just want them tweaked so they don't feel as strange and out of place as they currently do.

It's just my opinion. Even if it's not a majority one.

EDIT:
    I should say I do like Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia. I just don't like the implementation of their romances.
    Messi
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    If you don't like some inconsequential bit just tweak it yourself. I always use Aerie and have never had an issue with her stats personally, but if I did I would just tweak it.
    ErgTJ_Hookerelminster
    Dee, im not trolling or anything but can you make an unique/special item for each character in BGEE2?
    Maybe some super item (... staff,cloak etc) to find for Aerie exclusive etc.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We might not be able to do that, but post it in the Feature Requests section and I guarantee it will get a look. The Harper Pin was one of my favorite items, I'll say that much.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Keldorn only has 9 DEX, so you should probably fix his stats too. Better spruce up Haer'Dalis and Viconia as well (less than 10 CON, what were they thinking?). You know what, just go ahead and give all the NPCs 17 or 18 in all the stats relevent to their class, K thanks.

Quiet, Hooker.
    TJ_HookerFredjo
    edited August 2013
    ;)

Anyway, all i'm saying is, just like every other developer charge money for extra items etc im willing to pay for it as well O_o to make Aerie good.
    raxtoren said:

I don't wanna cheat or abuse some system, however Aerie's stats are broken.

I was a kid last time I played BG2 and remember how often Minsc got angry for Aerie dying.
    But even as a child I managed to finish the game - but I do remember how easy Aerie fell in battle.

I rather like how squishy she is. It accentuates her vulnerability and the damsel-in-distress persona. I countered it by giving her most of the best equipment (Robe of Vecna, Bracers AC 3 and Cloak of Mirroring) the party has came across, which again is realistic for a good or even neutral Charname who's supposed to be falling in love with her. Even so I almost always keep her safely in the back, and the main thing that got her has been AoE attacks like Horrid Wilting, which of course is no longer an issue cos of the lovely cloak she's now got.
    BelgarathMTH
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Poor Edwin and his 10 dexterity. However will he survive...even with his 16 constitution he still only has comparable health to Aerie after all.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Why would you pay money for an item to make aerie better when you can shadowkeeper her some stats if you so wanted (or EE-Keeper, as it is now fantastically known)

Buying buffs is just as much a cheat as changing her stats. You are merely catering to your desires either way.
    NecdilzorFlashburn
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    raxtoren said:

Coutelier said:

Dexterity: 17
    Can you, uh, clarify as to how 17 INT would make Aerie a better character?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

raxtoren said:

Coutelier said:

Dexterity: 17
    Can you, uh, clarify as to how 17 INT would make Aerie a better character?
    She will have a 5% better chance of memorising spells, 3 extra spells learned for each spell level (most of which you probably will never use), and +2 to lore. So basically she wouldn't really change all that much.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    raxtoren said:

;)

Anyway, all i'm saying is, just like every other developer charge money for extra items etc im willing to pay for it as well O_o to make Aerie good.

Why not make a poll and see if there's true demand to change her stats? I don't think it's needed, as @dee said, her stats are great. She's just vulnerable... why do you need an ultimate character? That wouldn't be fun after all.

The only thing I can think of that needs fixing about her is her personality. But since she is a character from an RPG, we need a variety of personalities ;)
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited August 2013

Ahem. I do know what a Mary Sue is.

A Mary Sue is a character this is beloved by practically every other character. Which Aerie is (not counting the Evil characters).
    A Mary Sue is a character this is exceedingly powerful. Which Aerie is. Gameplay wise she kicks ass.
    A Mary Sue is a character whose arc is as loud obnoxious and intrusive as they are. Aerie's character arc is pretty damn intrusive.

I don't think just because a lot of other characters like a character makes them a Mary Sue; they've got to have some reaction, and Aerie is just polite and generally inoffensive. Anyway, most NPC's like Imoen as well... it's only the evil ones who are widely disliked, and that's because they antagonize their companions. And all the NPC's are powerful, but like Aerie have weaknesses too. We've been over whether or not she whines in another thread (she doesn't). Although I do agree her romance could be improved a bit.

I also agree her low constitution suits the character... I don't see any reason to change it.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    (She does.)