Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Loving the sound of some of this stuff! Multiplayer updates sound great.

Thanks, as always :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2013
    Okay, I'll answer these in reverse order:

1) I have to tell you guys, since I really haven't yet, that I absolutely *loved* the last update you guys put out. The new kits are great, so my first question is: are there plans to continue to put out new kits the same way you did with the February update?

Nothing concrete planned at present, although that's not to say we won't do something in the future.
    2) Perhaps I ought to cross-post this to the Features Request board, but are there any plans to open up the Blackguard kit to Half-Orcs? (as currently Dorn is breaking the game's rules [probably because he's evil])
    I don't think we'll be changing that, but if that's something you'd like us to look at, I'd definitely post a Feature Request.
    3) I really like the addition of the Baeloth NPC. Are there any plans to add more NPCs to BG:EE?
    We may look at them later on, although adding a new NPC is an investment of more than just development hours (you need artists for the portraits and areas, writers for the dialogue and quests, and at the absolute minimum one voice actor for the voiced lines), so it probably won't be a surprise addition like Baeloth was.
    4) Last question, I swear: when BG2:EE comes out, will features continue to be added to BG:EE? For example: let's say BG2:EE comes out, and it includes a new playable race, five new classes and twenty-six new kits. Would these hypothetical, as-yet-unnamed features be incorporated into both BG2:EE and its predecessor, plain-old BG:EE?
    Without guaranteeing anything, yes, any enhancements that get made to BG2EE will be ported to BG1EE (and vice versa). At this point the only thing that separates the games is the specific resources (items, creatures, animations, spells, etc.) and the UI.

And the plot. The plot is different from BG1, certainly. But the engine is the same.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like that's about it as far as questions I can answer.

@LordLeviathan, I'll try and get some word today with regard to your question.

Keep the questions coming, everybody! This is definitely the most fun part of my day.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    edited August 2013
    Just want to thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions, it's really brilliant to see such great customer interaction! :)

Anyway, onto the questions:

1: Will the next patch offer any further enhancements to the game's potential to be modded? (such as the ability to create sorcerer kits that was implemented last time) If so, are you able to share any of them?

2: One of the most popular feature requests that's been drifting about for some time now is a request to make the INT and WIS stats more desirable/less dumpable for non-mages. Are there any plans to implement something like that or will the bonuses offered by stats remain as they are now?

3: Did BG:EE do as well (financially) as was hoped? I know you guys can't disclose specifics, but would you say you met your expectations?

4: Will your relationship with the new companions be carried over in BG2? For example, will any romance with them be acknowledged when you meet and will they be friendlier towards you if their personal quests were completed?

5: Finally, are more races/subraces still potentially being worked on?

Thanks again. :)
    Post edited by Tome on
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    Will all the old items from BG1:EE exist in BG2:EE?

Specifically in vanilla BG1/BG2 there were certain items that were replaced with other items when you crossed from BG1 to BG2. For example, the ring Evermemory (the one the doubles 1st level spells for mages) is replaced by the Ring of Acuity (at least I THINK its this ring). In BG2:EE the ring Evermemory just doesn't exist in the game resources so importing a character from BG1 will change that ring to the Ring of Acuity. I am just wondering if BG2:EE will fix that so old items from BG1:EE can transition to BG2:EE without being replaced.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Dee said:

Keep the questions coming, everybody! This is definitely the most fun part of my day.

What the heck? More fun than lunch? :)
  • Laurensvo92Laurensvo92 Member Posts: 33
    The new rendering engine contains performance features. What else?
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Since it seems you're adding a LOT of content to BG2EE, will you boost the XP limit on BG2 as well ? Will you add new powers / spells ?
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    edited August 2013
    it would be really great if adventure Y be for free as another update, i think when we say about enhanced edition this kind of related adventure is most valuable and desirable. I am really glad about the new content added already to BGEE2, smg about 350 000 words, but BGEE2 is already huge game without it , that's why i would like to have some new content in BGEE , some new missions and so on and would be really great if it would be in a main game not DLC
    so my request is of course if it is possible to give some new content to BGEE, which in my opinnion is not to much. it is really great and thank you for your work ! but don't forget about adding something new which will be as a free update
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Nic_Mercy I don't believe we have any plans to change how the transition works or bring through the BG1-specific items at this point. You can always make a feature request if you have ideas about how you would like to see it changed. :)

@Palanthis As far as I'm aware we won't be changing the XP cap for BG2, no.
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Nic_Mercy said:

Specifically in vanilla BG1/BG2 there were certain items that were replaced with other items when you crossed from BG1 to BG2. For example, the ring Evermemory (the one the doubles 1st level spells for mages) is replaced by the Ring of Acuity (at least I THINK its this ring). In BG2:EE the ring Evermemory just doesn't exist in the game resources so importing a character from BG1 will change that ring to the Ring of Acuity. I am just wondering if BG2:EE will fix that so old items from BG1:EE can transition to BG2:EE without being replaced.

Your character's inventory doesn't transfer from BG1 to BG2 anyways (unless you use the pause exploit). The exceptions are outlined here: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm
    diggerb said:

Nic_Mercy said:

Your character's inventory doesn't transfer from BG1 to BG2 anyways (unless you use the pause exploit). The exceptions are outlined here: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm
    By your own admission your inventory DOES transfer. You just don't get to keep it. The point I was trying to make though is that BG2 actually replaces data from BG1 with different data. Using the exploit is not actually relevant to my question. The fact that item data can be different or overridden by BG2 concerns me. I know it wont affect BG1 but it seems a shame to actually LOSE content by moving over to BG2 (I dont mean lose items. I mean data actually disappearing from the game files and being replaced with different data).

I will however put in a feature request. I see no reason to replace item data with different data when you can simply add a data entry to allow both items to exist in the game files. Especially when some of those items have no equivalent in BG2. Whether or not those items are accessible isn't important. The fact that they exist in the game data is. That way if someone does want to use the pause exploit, or console a beloved item from bg1 into their inventory, the data actually exists to do.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Nic_Mercy @diggerb At this point I should probably point out that the pause exploit is no longer available.

As for including BG1 items, definitely make a feature request. It might get missed here. :) In fact I seem to remember there already being one, but it never hurts to doublecheck.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2013
    Kaeloree said:

@Nic_Mercy @diggerb At this point I should probably point out that the pause exploit is no longer available.

(I've actually never used it and wouldn't if I could :D )
    edited August 2013
    Kaeloree said:

As for including BG1 items, definitely make a feature request. It might get missed here. :) In fact I seem to remember there already being one, but it never hurts to doublecheck.

Good to know! I never much cared for that exploit but there have been occasions where I have missed an item from BG1 that didnt make it into bg2 somewhere and consoled it in. The cloak of the wolf (which actually exists in the bg2 files but doesnt drop anywhere) was one in particular that i always had a fondness for. Being able to change into a wolf no matter your class was always kinda cool IMO :)
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Kaeloree said:

... WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS. This is NOT an enhancement. ... I am feeling nerdrage.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Stradlin said:

Is the massive-in-scale RPG trilogy based solely around life and times of Xzar going to be PC only, or is it being developed for next gen consoles as well?

I heard BioWare is dumping its plans for any new Dragon Age games and taking on the Xzar project themselves. The initial plot involves Xzar's first meeting with Montaron, and describing their earliest adventures together, travelling across the Realms solving mysteries. Or, you know, also causing them, too.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Dee said:

Is that a silent cry for help?
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    elminster said:

Lier

elminster said:

Lier
    Nope. Its the truth. I wasn't even aware of it until I came onto these forums.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    Synching of saved games across all platforms has always been party of the plan. When it drops will be a great day...

I'm already using my Google drive to keep save games current across my complete now.
  • MikaelMikael Member Posts: 33
    Will Totemic Druid's spirit animals further improve in BG2:EE or will they remain the same? Just wondering if it's worth making one :)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Any word on whether content from "Ascension" (other than the dialogue bugfixes) will be integrated into the game? Last we heard Trent and Phil said they were interested and looking into it...
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Hey @Dee, I saw this on the new BG2:EE page!

[...] remastered area artwork from original renders

Does that mean that Beamdog was able to get their hands on the original MAP art assets for BG2?
  • Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    No new dwarves in BG 2 EE?!!?
    elminster said:

edited August 2013
    ignore this
    Post edited by elminster on
  • k8eycatk8eycat Member Posts: 21
    Okay, I gotta ask, but I imagine I won't get a solid answer. Here goes: We've been waiting a long time for the Android version and I understand you are still working on it, however, is it possible that you could let us know which devices are being tested or are planned for the Android release? I would just like to know whether or not all this waiting was in vain. If I could have a general idea, then maybe I could either just give up or continue waiting, but checking back everyday is going to feel so awful if you guys say "Dude, sorry, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is even being considered. This is just for Nexus. We thought you knew that."
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    k8eycat said:

Okay, I gotta ask, but I imagine I won't get a solid answer. Here goes: We've been waiting a long time for the Android version and I understand you are still working on it, however, is it possible that you could let us know which devices are being tested or are planned for the Android release? I would just like to know whether or not all this waiting was in vain. If I could have a general idea, then maybe I could either just give up or continue waiting, but checking back everyday is going to feel so awful if you guys say "Dude, sorry, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is even being considered. This is just for Nexus. We thought you knew that."

Taking a look at this page http://www.baldursgateii.com/buy.html the system requirements for android will be:

- Requires an Android tablet with a Tegra 2 or equivalent graphics processor.
    - Storage: 2.5 GB of free space

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Simple question: Will be that new female thief romanceable ?
This discussion has been closed.