Skip to content

IWD - Install issues

BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
So a few days ago I found out that chronologically IWD occurs way before BG. Now, I want to beat IWD before I fully commit to finishing off my BG run to do a full chronologically correct run. Problem is, I can't install the game. Everytime I attempt to install it, it opens up a setup.exe command line...but the install program doesn't actually fire up meaning I click install, the autoplay menu closes and then.....nada. The odd thing is, IWD 2 BG, and BG2/ToB work and install just fine.

Things I have tried already:

1.) Ran the setup program in compatibility mode
2.) Ran setup straight from the CD
3.) Made an image of the CD - same results as running the disk (not much of a surprise there)

Things I have thought of trying but haven't yet:

1.) The game is installed on my brother's PC. I've considered a hard-transfer of all the raw files to a flash drive and just use the copy/paste method to copy all the files onto my computer. Theoretically, once the game is installed any issues should be fixed by the HoW patch/engine overhaul and it should be smooth sailing.

2.) Something something making a 32-bit setup file somehow compatible with a 64-bit OS - not entirely sure how or if this needs to be done, or if it would have any impact at all.

Anyone have any other tips I haven't thought of yet?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Sounds like a registry problem, especially if IWD has ever been installed on that computer before. Could be it wasn't properly uninstalled previously. I'd tell you what to do but I'm not 100% sure, and playing with the registry can mess up your system so I'm going to hold off until I know better, or someone else comments.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    On the comp with issues the game *may* have had an installation issue. The game was mid installation when my anti-virus (it has one as it was connected to a university network a year ago) isolated the file mid installation, but the game has never worked on the computer in the first place.

Also, the version on my brother's PC is working 100%, hence why I was considering a file transfer.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited August 2013
    Try disabling the DEP:
    Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Settings -> Performance -> Settings -> Data Execution Prevention -> Enable DEP for all Programs with the following exceptions -> Add... -> Browse for the IWD setup file.

Some older copy protections cache CPU instructions as data, which nowadays fails.
    Alternative: http://www.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_complete