Skip to content

Saved games disappeared...

tlwallstlwalls Member Posts: 28
edited August 2013 in Mac OS X (Archive)
After I updated my Mac's OS to Lion (not Mountain Lion), my saved games disappeared. I found the files on my hard drive. Is there a work around for this?
Post edited by tlwalls on

Comments

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I know nothing of Macs, but I'll give it a shot anyway,

Did the save files literally disappear from the save folder? And nothing else? And the files you found, if they were the save files, can't you just copy paste them back in?

As long as you still have the save files, you can always just copy them back into the folder, even on a new installation.

If the files are still there, but they just don't show up in the game, they might be set as read-only. If that didn't help, I'll need more information.
  • tlwallstlwalls Member Posts: 28
    They are in the folder, but within the game when I go to "load saved games" there is nothing there.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Sounds like it might be an error with the references. Easiest solution would probably be to make a backup of your saves, reinstall the game, and just drop them back in.

Also, you do know the save "files" are more like save "folders", right? Each save is a folder with multiple files in it. The quicksave for instance, would be a folder named "000000001-Quick-Save", with Baldur.gam, BALDUR.SAV, WORLDMAP.WMP and the BMPs for your party portraits and screenshot of the save location. This might be slightly different on a Mac though, but that is the gist of it.

Failing all of that, it might just be that Lion doesn't support BG:EE, in which case you'd need some emulation software like Wine or Rosetta, or maybe dual-boot with Boot Camp. If the problem persists, you might have better luck asking in the Mac Support forum. (This one is for welcoming new people anyway. So... welcome ^^)
    Whoops. Seems to run fine on Lion, saves games okay just no access to old saved games. Here's a puzzle: I saved a couple new games thinking that once I found the location of saved games I'd just drop my old ones in there; however, although they are available to me within the game , I can't find them on the hard drive. Crazy, no?
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    You probably can't find it because they're inside the Library, which (starting with Lion) is hidden by default.

I'll refer you to this for several ways of accessing it; the full path of BGEE saves folder is
    ~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save
    (where ~ is your Home folder).
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @tlwalls, I forgot to add that you should also find a link to the BGEE data location in your Documents folder.
    Aaaaaannnnd... that did it! Found the Library, saved folder, etc, moved old saved games into file, and I was back in the saddle. Thanks a million!