Skip to content

favorite items from BG/IWD and why

Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
i was just wondering what everyone's favourite weapons, armour, rings, etc. was from either series and why. there's a lot of choose from and so i was wondering which ones y'all liked the most.

for me it would have to be (off the top of my head)

Ashideena and Varscona: i loved the stories behind both weapons and i remember whenever i played vanilla bg dreaming of how great it would be to be able to duel wield them. then bg:ee showed up XD when i started watching the anime Soul Eater i imagined how great it would be to see a version Ashideena and Varscona as part of the whole meister/weapon combo

Shield of Falling Stars: how cool of a name is that?

Celestial Fury: a flashy looking katana with an awesome name that creates thunder and rattles your screen? smexy!

Pale Justice and Cera Sumat: beautifully written stories. I enjoyed the humbleness behind both weapons vs the 'look at me i'm awesome' that Carsomyr presented itself (at least in my head)

Mail of the Dead: a great concept that was in the story (it's would have been an interesting little side story to be chased swarms of undead all under the command of the original owner of the armour)

Cairn Blade: less is more in terms of looks. i like simple.

Ring of Wizardry: spamming magic missiles, identifies, and wild surges has never been so much fun

King's Tear (gem): a sad story. i always wondered if they would expand on the idea.

Conlan's Hammer: it's so useful in the final battle. plus it's got the simple but efficient look to it, which i enjoy

Dead Cat: the dialogue for walking around with a dead cat in IWD2 is pretty funny. the dialogue in general with those three guys in red (one of which could only say "Ungh!") at the camp by the entrance to Targos was all together amusing

Melicamp: "A-a-a-ah!!! Unholy magics are afoot! This chicken is possessed! This bird is FOUL!!!" I can never stop laughing at this XD

Gesen Bow: a bow that shoots lightning? winning.

Wandering Sky: I liked the name. and the story

Comments

• ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Pale Justice is something that I always pick up (Paladin is therefore a must in my party). Bathed-in-Blood is another favourite, it's just looks so cool. There is something about Misery's Herald, that bone looking handle, so grim.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The flail of the ages, for the simple reason that I love flails (or any weapon that's more dangerous to the wielder than the enemy really) and being able to smack an enemy with three (or five) heads at once, all doing bonus damage, is v. nice!

Varscona is v. stylish and I love Cera Sumat's story.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Let me pick teh one item : boots of speed.
    Reason why is without that the bg gameplay would miserable since I can not bear with sluggish basic mundane moving speed.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    My main reason for disliking Carsomyr is that the sword is crap. 95% of it's abilities are supposed to be a paladin class feature, rather then on the weapon itself.

Holy Sword Class Feature - When wielding any holy sword a paladin gets 50% magic resistance vs evil beings, an antimagic aura that functions identically to anti-magic shell, but only effects evil characters lower level then the paladin, and the ability to dispel magic once a round (as per the spell) equal to their level in place of attacking, only the targeted dispel is possible, not the area version. Also all holy swords strike as if +5 with regard to what they can hit when wielded by a paladin, regardless of their actual bonus.

Avenger Holy swords are just +5 2hded swords that deal +10 damage vs chaotic evil when used by a paladin. (+2 with no other abilities when wielded by non-paladin).

Purifier Holy swords are just +3 bastard swords that deal +5 damage vs undead and raise the wielders effective level by 2 for turn undead attempts when wielded by a paladin. (+2 with no other abilities when wielded by non-paladin).
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    IWD2: The Drakkas Fury Chainmail (HoF) and the Light of Cera Sumat longsword (HoF). Two incredible items.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    @ZanathKariashi that's very interesting. i didn't know about any of that stuff. what rule books are you referencing?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited August 2013
    The core book. Holy sword is a basic ability for paladins, and lists what I put in the holy sword section, but says that each type of holy sword has other abilities as well beyond those and to refer to the Complete guide for more information. The complete paladin guide goes more in detail about the other types of holy swords. The Avenger type is the one used as an example in the Dungeon master's guide for holy swords, and says to refer to the complete paladin guide for more examples of holy swords.

Holy Avenger - +10 damage vs chaotic evil

Purifier - +5 damage vs undead, boosts turning power by +2, +2 all saves vs attacks from undead creatures. (only applies to innate abilities of the creature, such as a ghoul's touch, vampire's charm)

Divine Protector - Prevents the paladin from being ambushed or back-stabbed (Constant 360* detect evil out to 120ft. Invisible attackers aren't specifically revealed but lose their bonus to-hit when attacking), and can be used to deafen all evil targets within 10 ft if they fail a save, once per round.

Invigorator - Doubles the healing from lay on hands, and allows it to also remove poisons and disease.

Hallowed Redeemer - Constant protection from evil 10ft centered on the sword's wielder, all evil characters attempting to enter the area of effect must save or be struck with fear, as per the spell.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Lilarcor is my hands down favorite item, it gets more great one-liners than most of the NPCs. Also available early, useful throughout BG2, and of a weapon-type that has a couple of NPCs with default proficiency. Equip Minsc with Lilarcor, it's a match made in heaven.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think I heard rumor way back in the day, icewind dale made a talking weapon, a longsword I think it was? or was that some sort of whacky mod or some such?
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    @sarevok57 There was a talking longsword in Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark. He was pretty hilarious if I recall. Anyways going to second @imperator on the Pale Justice/Bathed-in-Blood combo as they're just plain badassery.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Korevas17 ah I see, most interesting
  • CantabCantab Member Posts: 56
    Spider bane sword - because I hate spider traps. Also giant spiders are legibility scary, therefore I prefer them dead.

Bag of holding - Because the inventory game grows old

Boots of speed - Really good to have on your tank in IWD or your thief in BG.

Ring of Free action - Only in IWD as it does not make you immune to haste.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    @Cantab i'd prefer a Spider's Bane ICBM to deal with giant spiders. no need to get close if i don't have to. i hate spiders O.o -shudder-