Skip to content

Question: Transfer the main character from BG:EE to BG2 - is it possible?

zelszels Member Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Windows PC (Archive)
As per the title, if it's possible will any issues arise with learned spells and the like?

PS: I believe that the game calls it "importing a character".

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's possible in theory--a lot of people have done it successfully, and there don't seem to be any issues (unless you're using one of the new kits or a spell that didn't exist in BG2), but it's not "officially" supported.
    zels
  • JessicaJessica Member Posts: 29
    Yeah, despite it not being official, I myself have done this briefly to check if I could, though BG2 seems to be jumpy on windows 8 despite the tons of power beyond what it requires (which most machines should have anyway.
    The most consistent way I've been able to load the character in is to copy the save file from my documents folder to the BG2 saves folder, select new game, and then select load character. Note that because BGEE is a pseudo BG2 engine (close enough anyway), that it will NOT bump your character's xp up to the norm. You may want to invest time in retreiving ShadowKeeper save editor in order to adjust your xp to the appropriate default (I think it's 135k xp total among any dual/multiclassing). This will also allow you to undo/change kits or spells if they're conflicting. I have a little bit of fun adding an innate spell of find familiar, because having a spell that only the protagonist can cast but you have to be a mage is lame, even if the spell kinda stinks anyway.
    You'll know you're importing the right save file when you see the portraits not fitting in the loading screen thing for the save select.