Skip to content

Why do priests need wisdom?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited September 2013 in Off-Topic
This thread is inspired by something @Meagloth said in another thread. He said:

... Am I the only one who thinks it doesn't make any sense that wisdom would make you a better priest? I mean spell casting wise, it doesn't make sense (to me) that the ability that lets you make good life choices also makes you able to memorize more spells. It looks to me that it does the same thing intelligence does for mages. But that's just silly little meagloth.

Here are my initial thoughts on the subject:

I've seen a lot of rpg's that substitute words like "personality", "intuitiveness", "faith", "spirit", or other such attribute names that are clearly analogous to the D&D "wisdom", as the primary attribute for priestly casting, divine magic, or healing.

Priests don't "memorize" spells in D&D lore. Rather, they pray daily, and their god gives them the mystic syllables needed. I suppose the idea is that, in order to gain this kind of power as a gift from a god, one needs to have a finely developed spiritual intuition and discipline. One needs to be able to spend long periods of time in a meditative state of consciousness, with the mental discipline to focus, and to clear the mind of all distractions.

So, that kind of mental and spiritual discipline would be what is referred to by "wisdom" in D&D, seen as the prime requisite of clerics and druids. As a side effect, that kind of disciplined, meditative mind also becomes extremely resistant to enchantment spells.

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Why not?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Wisdom in DnD basically means something like "common sense", right? If so, why priest of all people have to have high wisdom? Serving a being that barely does anything isn't something that requires common sense at all.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I was thinking it looks like wisdom is perhaps not the right word, though I can't think of a better one, so who am I to talk? I usually play a sorcerer or Mage, and wisdom is my drop stat, because in a game where you make all the choices for your character, it doesn't make any sense to give them the ability to make good choices. What you said though, about praying, is a good explanation.
    Now it doesn't make sense that they forget spells after casting them. That is the one problem I have always had with the spell system, if wizards and priests memorize spells, than casting them would reinforce the memory, not make them forget them.
    It could be said that they casting spells uses up energy, and the more you practice, the more magical "constitution" you have, but then it shouldn't be called memorization.
    And here's another problem I can't think of a good answer to, if you can read spells of of scrolls, why can't you read them out of that little book you always have with you, Mage?
    Oh well. I suppose this is the same problem action movies have: I'm clever and brilliant, as long as you don't think about me too hard. But without this, we wouldn't have how it should have ended YouTube videos, so who's complaining?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Wisdom is necessary for clerics because as the OP said, clerics pray to their gods and recieve their magic directly from them. While mages study the Weave and magic itself, priests study their deities and religion and it's message, dogma, and rituals. The higher their wisdom, the more profound their understanding of their deity will be (and thus more in line with him/her spiritually), and the god rewards the cleric with greater power.

In short. More Wisdom => Better Understanding => Deeper Connection => Greater Rewards for Prayers

Wisdom in DnD basically means something like "common sense", right? If so, why priest of all people have to have high wisdom? Serving a being that barely does anything isn't something that requires common sense at all.

All attributes symbolizes a whole heap of things each, but yes. That is one of the traits abstracted into Wisdom. Among other is one's intuition, durability of the mind, ability to perceive the world, and the ability to put knowledge to practical use.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    If you ask me, DnD is one fu**** up bitch that is out of touch with any reality. Though, I can't help but notice that this is the very thing that attracts people to it.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, the alternative is Intelligence or Charisma I guess... And to be honest, I don't really see smart and charismatic priests all that often...
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298

Except for the fact that in D&D, deities fuel spells, wage wars, and constantly wander into the realm of mortals ex: the root cause for the entire plot of Baldur's Gate. If you go with the philosophy that reality is malleable, which you would have a difficult time arguing that it ISN'T in D&D land, what with all the different planes of existence the fact that magic warps reality, etc. etc. common sense could be interpreted as having the philosophy, perspective and faith necessary to channel divine spells for various use.

The difference is,

Arcane spells are cast through recantation of a particular process, hence they require a substantial amount of memorization. Sorcers get exception as their spells are based on will and intuition (hinthint, Charisma=whaaaaa?).

Divine spells on the other hand are cast by requesting aid from a deity requiring an influential personality and the understanding to...

Oh forget this whole argument. Y U NO SWAP SORCERER AND PRIEST DEMANDZ?!?!
    Ok, I get it. Times of troubles and stuff. There are special occassions when they do interfere, I cannot deny that. Still, what gods (in DnD) are doing to their worshippers, aside from granting clerics their spells? Nothing. I actually think that Gaal in Baldur's Gate II had some valid points.

By your last sentence you mean "Why do you nat swap wisdom/charisma when reffering to priest/sorcerors spellcasting?" If so, I don't think wisdom would work for sorcerors. They are people basically born with innate talent for spellcasting, and such they don't need to study and search for knowledge. No point in giving them wisdom as a stat affecting their spellcasting.

By your last sentence you mean "Why do you nat swap wisdom/charisma when reffering to priest/sorcerors spellcasting?" If so, I don't think wisdom would work for sorcerors. They are people basically born with innate talent for spellcasting, and such they don't need to study and search for knowledge. No point in giving them wisdom as a stat affecting their spellcasting.

Because wisdom has to do with willpower, correct? Maybe I read wrong somewhere but don't sorcerers cast as a result of their innate ability/intuition and raw will, which is a direct stem from wisdom? The description of studying and searching for knowledge is more of a description of intelligence, hence why its a requisite for Mages and not Sorcerers. I don't see how intuition and willpower has anything to do with your personal magnetism.

I do see it having a great deal more to do with priest as they are trying to gain influence with their gods to fuel their spells, and with the common people to spread the will of their god, not necessarily their own life perspectives, which is a trait of Charisma rather than your ability to reason and understand save for being able to rationally define the perspective of one's particular god.
    Sorcerers casts spells because they have innate ability and talent do do so. They are born with it, which is why I hate them. I don't think they need to struggle to learn how to use and control their power - and such, I cannot see why they should posses high wisdom, and therefore willpower. Willpower is something that wild mage could use, just to maintain control of his spells and to prevent a wild surge.

About priest, well, you have some valid points. It's actuall MORE fitting than wisdom, anyway.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited September 2013
    as i (& the p&p group i play w/) interpret it, Charisma is force of personality & leadership, perhaps your ability to bend the will of others to your own...
    Wisdom, in addition to common sense, is your ability to be in tune w/ the cosmos (dude)...or to interpret the will of the gods...
    rexreg said:

as i (& the p&p group i play w/)
    Wisdom, in addition to common sense, is your ability to be in tune w/ the cosmos (dude)...or to interpret the will of the gods...

Yeah, like a supernatural perception, no? I think Wisdom should still come into play for priests, but they have to pray for their spells. In my mind, a deity would grant spells to wiser, more influential priests who could better spread the will of any given god. In my mind the ideal would be that CHR is a main attribute for a priest while WIS is a secondary attribute much like the STR/DEX/CON interaction with warriors.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Battlehamster...yes, & Wisdom is when you walk into a room and your 'spidey-sense' starts tingling...you realize something is wrong before being cognitively aware of it...
    @rexreg

No, that's perception you have just described which is a trait of Wisdom, not a full fledged definition of it. It would be like saying the term "red" and "color" are the same thing. Red is indeed a color, but not all colors are red, if that makes any sense. I think the problem with defining Wisdom in D&D is that one of the traits of Wisdom often get isolated as being wisdom rather than a part of the soup that is wisdom.

@ZelgadisGW
    Wisdom also incorporates utilizing your experience, having common sense, being able to provide insight, etc. etc.. Sorcerers become more powerful as they learn to better channel their own intuitive powers based on their experience in channeling them, hence why I've always felt Sorcerers would benefit more from Wisdom than Charisma. I do not see ANY connection between having a cult of personality and a person's own intuitive ability to "channel their energy" for lack of a better term.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    So what does Elminster use stat wise ?

He is a mage, but also a priest of Mystra. ( And at one time her lover )

Does that mean he is multi class ? Cleric / Mage ?

At least he got to nail a goddess. Good job old man !
    Elminster uses the "Awesome" stat - Its at 25.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2013
    Elminster's stats are:

STR: 13
    DEX: 18
    CON: 24
    INT: 24
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 17

Source: http://www.angelfire.com/d20/vaelos/Elminster.html
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Elmininster goes to a gathering of mages.
    All the attending sorcerers are bragging of their exploits.
    One says " I fought an Undead Beholder and defeated him and his minions "
    Another " I created a new spell that binds Demons "
    And on and on...
    Finally noticing Elminster was not saying anything. The mages gather around and begin to pester him on latest conquests and experiences.
    " So great one..what have you been doing lately ? "
    Finally tiring of their banter and annoyance..he replies.
    " I've been doing Jello shots off of Mystra's stomach "

-Insert cricket sounds here-

@battlehamster
    That part of definition sounds like fluid intelligence. Thank you for being insightful.
    @ZelgadisGW

I think the argument can be made that the fluid intelligence vs. crystalline intelligence is very similar to, if not the same as the intelligence vs. wisdom comparison. Fluid being closer to D&D "Wisdom" and Crystalline being closer to "Intelligence"
    @Battlehamster

Yep, I saw this similarites some time ago.
    Just trying to make the reference so others can make a run to the all-knowing internet. I know had I not previously heard about the relationship between the two types my reaction would be, "what the #*&% is fluid intelligence?".
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It seems as though the answer to most of the questions presented on this thread is "magic, duh", Like with so many other things. A good answer, in my opinion, since we are dealing with magic.

None of these questions should really be thought apon to hard, seeing as we are talking about made-up problems, we can have made-up answers.

Not that we should stop making up answers.....
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @meagloth, I think that pondering the differences between "Inteligence", and "Wisdom", and the specifics of fictional characters who draw magical power from one or the other of those attributes, and the differences in methodology between drawing "magical" power from "Int", or from "Wis", are of some importance to human concerns.

Playing and having fun with our games, stories, and entertainments, and wrestling with the insights that those things can give to us, is an important part of being human, which might lead to an increase in Human Good. (See Henry Nelson Wieman, Creative Event).
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    There's w simple comparison one can make to explain why Innate Casters use CHA instead of INT or WIS:

Intelligence is mind dexterity.
    Wisdom is mind constitution.
    Charisma is mind strength.

So when you're talking about "will" used to resist magical effects and the willpower of the innate caster being the source of his magical prowess, you're actually mixing up two different concepts because they sound alike. Charisma, just like the other attributes, represents a lot of things - it's not just looks, leadership abilities, or social skills, it's also the innate force of personality and the force of your mind/spirit/being itself. Since natural casters draw power from themselves, their main stat is CHA.

As for clerics having CHA as the main stat for magic... No, that wouldn't really make sense. They're not casting from themselves the way Innate Casters do, they're just channeling their deity's powers. In 3.5, however, CHA is still a pretty influencial stat governing over the none-spellcasting abilities of Clerics (and let's not forget Paladins getting a bonus to all their saves equal to their CHA bonus).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @scriver good answer.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    Wisdom is both insight and willpower. Divine casters with low wisdom (12 or less) are supposed have an increasing chance of spell failure (5% at 12, and 5% more for each point under 12), because they lack the willpower to channel and focus their deity/nature's power properly through themselves. However, divine casters with greater insight due to exceptional wisdom can not only cast spells without failure, they can actually cast more spell then a less wise caster could due to better understanding and communion with their deity and their ideals.

Unlike Arcane magic, which requires a particular level of intelligence to fathom secrets of a particular spell level, divine magic can be used by anyone their deity/nature accepts as a servant because they're merely acting as a conduit for their deity/nature's will.

The minimum wisdom a cleric can have at creation is 9, which is a 20% spell failure penalty, but other effects can potentially lower it further for additional penalties.

@ogreb
    3rd - (3.0 FR Campaign setting)
    A fighter 1, thief 2, cleric 3, Mage 24, Archmage 5

13, 18, 24, 24, 18, 17

2nd - (From Heroes of Lore supplement)
    29 Mage (while he dabbled as a fighter, thief, and cleric in his younger days, he didn't do so long enough for it to count as actual classes, and has long abandon anything beyond his mage training since).

(Due to being a chosen of Mystra he has no maximum limit on known spells and can remember and memorize any spell he's ever cast, without needing a spellbook. Is also immune to 1 spell of each spell level, chose at the time of his raising to Chosen of Mystra).

13, 18, 14, 18, 18, 17
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited September 2013

This thread is inspired by something @Meagloth said in another thread. He said:

... Am I the only one who thinks it doesn't make any sense that wisdom would make you a better priest? I mean spell casting wise, it doesn't make sense (to me) that the ability that lets you make good life choices also makes you able to memorize more spells. It looks to me that it does the same thing intelligence does for mages. But that's just silly little meagloth.

Here are my initial thoughts on the subject:

I've seen a lot of rpg's that substitute words like "personality", "intuitiveness", "faith", "spirit", or other such attribute names that are clearly analogous to the D&D "wisdom", as the primary attribute for priestly casting, divine magic, or healing.

Priests don't "memorize" spells in D&D lore. Rather, they pray daily, and their god gives them the mystic syllables needed. I suppose the idea is that, in order to gain this kind of power as a gift from a god, one needs to have a finely developed spiritual intuition and discipline. One needs to be able to spend long periods of time in a meditative state of consciousness, with the mental discipline to focus, and to clear the mind of all distractions.

So, that kind of mental and spiritual discipline would be what is referred to by "wisdom" in D&D, seen as the prime requisite of clerics and druids. As a side effect, that kind of disciplined, meditative mind also becomes extremely resistant to enchantment spells.

The wiser the divine follower is, the stronger his will and guidance will be. Thus equalling more recognition by the divine entity, which in turn leads to more rewards in the form of more power to be issued through them.

Clerics are vessels chosen by a deity to carry out their will, it has nothing to to with how well they can read or memorize things. They are conduits for a divine beings will, power is not granted to them, it merely passes through them. Of course they are also mortal, so they have wills of their own as well. Which could lead to giving up religion for arcane knowledge, in which case wisdom wont help them much.
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    When Midnight's spell book was stolen she realized she became the first sorceress. It's ability granted by the godess of magic to her chosen. The introduction of sorcerer also marked the removal of the spell fire ability from Mystera chosen. :). Elminster was like a cleric/Mage till Midnight assumed Mystera's place in the heaven. Elminster could actually heal himself using spell fire. It's also when the godess of magic stopped sleeping with her followers like Elminster, just a little FYI. Clerical spells don't have mentally/physically tiring effects of true spell casting. Cleric spell casting is not as easy to interrupt as a magic users spell casting. Wisdom is not comparable to intelligence in that wizard do not gain bonus spells. An evocation specialty wizard requires more constitution because those types of spells are more physically taxing. Where as an enchanter requires more wisdom because those spell affect the mind. Looking at the different stat requirements for specialty wizards might help one understand the philosophy behind the magic system in DnD better. Hope that helps to bring some insight to the difference between spellcasters and divine granted abilities.