Skip to content

Voice actors from the original games

CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
Before I start, no this is not such a topic where I want to persuade people to have them back in the EE. Sure it would be nice, but stay with me here for a second.

Recently (as in 5 minutes ago) I released an episode of my Let's Play Shadows of Amn, where I struggle recreating Lehtinan's voice when the voice actor isn't talking. And I say it again - I STRUGGLE like crazy.

I decided to take a look then to the cast of voice actors Baldur's Gate had. Now, Lehtinan wasn't that much of a big role in Shadows of Amn, usually a character that lasts 30 minutes at best. But apparently, his voice actor is Billy West... the guy that voices Fry in Futurama among other works.

Now look at the other names of voice actors. Some might not be known directly, but if you make a more extensive research, you'll find that about 95% of them has one helluva curriculum. Either now, or also back then.

It really is insane, even more so when I think of the voice talents in nowadays AAA titles... none can actually compare to the variety the Baldur's Gate games had. (am not saying that nowadays games have bad voice acting, FAR from it)

Truly, I have no idea how far BioWare went back when they made the Baldur's Gate series, with such a cast of extraordinary actors, deep story writing and an engaging world.

My question is - what are the odds that Overhaul games could be able to cast such talented voice actors back in the enhanced editions? Maybe at a certain degree it could be possible, but wouldn't it be expensive like crazy? I mean, I believe it would be asking too much from them. They are already doing a LOT for us gamers, and we should really show our appreciation instead of criticizing :)

Comments

• jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    Interplay was a second-rate publisher in many ways, but they did not skimp on voice talent in those days. (And it was Interplay, not Bioware, which produced the VO.)

So, yeah, they're established, expensive, union actors. Honestly, I'd be a little surprised if Beamhaul's budget would support hiring that tier of actor.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Where's you lets play?
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    I concur on the Jim Cummings suggestion. In fact, let him voice ALL the characters. Then we'll see just how much ham one game can contain.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

I concur on the Jim Cummings suggestion. In fact, let him voice ALL the characters. Then we'll see just how much ham one game can contain.

Give the old guy a break. Geez.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage Now I want to hear a character sound like Tigger, and another like Winnie the Poo, and another like Darkwing Duck. ;)
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    It was BG that gave me my curiosity for voice actors too. I love the classic voice actors but it seems like everywhere doesn't want to take a chance on investing in new talent either. It seems like the dubbed voice actor for Bleach's Ichigo is in *everything* these days.

Jim Cummings and Kevin Michael Richardson :D

The lady that played Viconia was Mandy in the Grim Adventures, I thought that was pretty cool since the show gives some d&d related shout outs :)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Xan is voiced by Johnny Bravo / the dad from Dexter's Lab.

Mind = blown.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    I hear Sarevok everywhere now!

and Xan was also Prowl from transformers Animated, which is cool
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Sarevok's voice actor IS pretty much everywhere. Then again, so is Jim Cummings, him alone voiced Gorion, Gromnir, Minsc, Firkraag along others just in Baldur's Gate!

It's really a LONG LONG list :p
    @Cheesebelly Tazok and Tranzig as well, I heard.
  • XavaineXavaine Member Posts: 12
    David Warner (Irenicus) is also the evil wizard from the Gargoyles animated series and Ra's al Ghul from the Batman animated series.

He also summons freaking Cthulu in one of his movies, how badass is that?!
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    Not Baldur's Gate, but I was amused to find out Paarthurnax was voiced by the guy who does Mario.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Xavaine : Warner also SINGS in Hansel and Gretel as well as is the villain in Titanic :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80af7iSGiIk

It's obviously Irenicus and his story pre-SoA XD
  • DeivisDeivis Member Posts: 13
    Did you know that the voice actor who played Xan (Jeff Bennett) not only voiced Jonny Bravo, as was said, but he also voiced Quayle in BG1??!! He's a pretty awesome Voice actor that dude...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Bring back Jennifer Hale.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I'm now imagining Kivan\Anomen saying Poit, Narf, Zort. Or... So Bhaalspawn, what are we going to do tomorrow night?
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    Only thing besides this enhancement project that could make the BG series even more amazing would be hiring the old voice actor cast/new cast as talented and fill in the missing dialogue of BG 1&2 (the stuff that you had to read through). Imagine all of Irenicus' final words in BG2 before the showdown in the Abyss fully voiced. Awesome, right?
  • TazokTazok Member Posts: 34
    @Cheesebelly That is the best thing ever. I love the comments too "And this is why the elves kicked him out and took his soul...."

As far as I understood it, at the time these voice actors were fairly unknown. Somebody just did an exceptional job of picking them out. Hopefully they can pick another great set of voice actors for at least BG3. The new characters could be all text for all I care, just hoping they keep their eyes on the prize
  • jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    Tazok said:

As far as I understood it, at the time these voice actors were fairly unknown. Somebody just did an exceptional job of picking them out.

Incorrect. Interplay paid handsomely to get top-shelf, prolific, full-time-professional, unionized voice acting talent. Virtually everyone in the IE games had a voice acting resume a mile long before they did the game(s).
    @jcompton I still can't get over the same guy who voiced Minsk also did Gorion, Tazok, Tranzig... and does the voice of Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Chief Powhatan in Pocahontas, and Darkwing Duck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgn9k9cuTjM
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    I remember seeing some guy on the Skyrim forums insisting actors could be replaced with realistic computer generated voices. Maybe there was some recent innovation I was made unaware of, but I'm pretty sure he was a crazy person.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012
    There are 3 voices that I require to believe this game is truly Baldur's Gate.

1. Joneleth Irenicus.
    2. Sarevok
    3. The Narrator.

There can be only one of each.

Edit: Even though I prefer to run with my own party, it sure would be odd not hearing Minsc as himself anymore.
  • kkramonekkramone Member Posts: 54
    Full voice actor list of BG games:
    Baldur's Gate: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167018/
    Baldur's Gate - Tales of the Sword Coast : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196361/
    Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0224637/
    Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282366/
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    i know i really shouldn't be lazy and look this up, but was minsc voiced by whoever did the voice of darkwing duck? When he gets all righteous, i kinda hear darkwing, without the lisp.

edit: lol, after i posted, i saw the video of jim cummings, and then looked at kkromone's post, and wow, i was hearing right. I usually can't tell who does a voice, but seriously, loved darkwing growing up, and loved minsc, just never put the two together.