Skip to content

Durlag's Tower

How do you get to the 4th Level of Durlag's Tower. I made it up to the top
where the witch/female magic user was who kept Dire Charming everyone.

If that is the top floor I completed it. Imon(thief) 100% on opening locks could not
open 3 or 4 chest due to traps even with Potions of Master Thievery. Any Help would
be appreciated

Wigmonster

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    You can go further down, the level you enter the keep at isn't the last floor so take the stairs down from there.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Hmmm... u need to disable traps before you try to unlock chests (same button as picking locks). I am guessing you cannot disarm the traps because Imoen's Finding Traps is not high enough. You need to have 95 for Finding Traps to effectively explore Durlag's Tower, the labyrinth below the tower is the real 'main course' of the quest, the tower itself is more of a 'starter'.

Potion of Mastery Thievery does not help with finding and disarming traps. You can buy Potion of Perception from Erdane (and other merchants), that will boost Find Traps by 20. But there really is too many traps in the labyrinth for you to drink perception potions constantly.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually you might need 100% in find traps for durlags tower, and yes the place where the succubus is ( the female witch magic user) is the top most floor you can go
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    sarevok57 said:

actually you might need 100% in find traps for durlags tower, and yes the place where the succubus is ( the female witch magic user) is the top most floor you can go

Oh I thought it was 95, or at least I read 95 somewhere. I think I got Imoen to 100 anyway just for a nice complete number, also it'd seem very metagamey for her to stop learning the trade exactly at the point I knew it would suffice.

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I've seen both values listed. If you run into a trap she can't detect at 95, you can chug a potion or cast Luck on her.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There is one trap (the altar) which I don't think you can successfully disarm. You just need to take the hit and hope you save vs. spell.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Corvino said:

There is one trap (the altar) which I don't think you can successfully disarm. You just need to take the hit and hope you save vs. spell.

About this trap, I presume the cloudf&*#! spell that launches about 3 different variations of a cloud at you? A few possibilities to deal with this one:

1.) Zone of sweet air - (Not sure if this is in EE or not as I don't have it)
    2.) Have everyone move to the rear of the alter. In vanilla this makes it so you only have to save against one cloud and the fog prevents the other two dopplegangers from jumping you if you fail your save.

To the best of my knowledge this trap cannot be disarmed even with a 100% find/disable traps. You NEED a thief to be capable of reliably finding and disarming traps of high difficulty to have any hope of completing and exploring durlag's tower.

Also as others have said, go down - not up! You haven't even gotten to the real dungeon yet!

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Battlehamster: I actually think it's a charm person spell on the second tower level, on the trapped altar with a tome of wisdom on it. If you have a Cavalier with their charm immunity, a raging Berserker or Barbarian, a potion of clarity, or just a dwarf with ridiculous saves then you can take it quite safely.

Failing that, you just sit your party out of sight and wait until it wears off. It can be a game-ender for solo runs though, as if you get charmed without a party it's an automatic game over.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Make sure you go outside on the upstairs of the tower, as well. There are some fun pets out there for you to meet.