Skip to content

Any language You want on Your iPad ! [Tutorial] (only subtitles)

migalmigal Member Posts: 14
edited May 2013 in iPad (Archive)
First thing is that You must get a file dialog.tlk which is a file with subtitles - it must be from the original PC/MAC version of the game that You have purchased (with language You want to have on Your iPad).

1. You must have an access to your file system (JB is required I think).
2. In iFile (or other file manager that has similar functionality) find a folder Applications->Baldur's Gate.app->lang->en_US.
3. There is such a file called dialog.tlk - You must delete it (first make a backup of whole folder called lang just in case sth will go wrong).
4.Copy new file dialog.tlk (with language that You want to read playing).

Now I need Your help. There is a solution to have dubbing too I think. There is a folder "sounds" so it can be replaced (look link below) but I can't find this "override" one :/

Polish version here -> http://www.applecenter.pl/2013/02/28/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-na-mac-os-x-z-polskim-dubbingiem/

Thanks to cherrycoke2l for the link and to mercantigo for the idea ;)
Post edited by migal on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've removed the link to the .tlk file from the post. We hope to have the translations ready soon, but posting links to download the raw files from the game is against site rules.

You can grab the .tlk from an existing installation on your PC or Mac. As I said, we intend to have the translations ready for release soon; I encourage everyone to just be patient a little bit longer.
  • SuperCDSuperCD Member Posts: 2
    Does this method require jailbreaking of the device?
    For Beamdog: if you are slow in doing your job, let the community do fix the game! Baldur's Gate survived up to now thanks to us, not thanks to you and your broken ipad version.
    I understand that you'd like me to buy the pc version to get the file to translate my ipad version, or to play without slowdowns, but I assure you that I will never give to your company a single dollar after this Ipad scam you pulled off...
    So let people share this solution or release the update right now! We have to wait for months for this translations and all you need is copy a file? this is BS!
    iFile is a program that allows you to browse the files on your iPad. I don't believe it requires jailbreaking.

You can also find a friend who has purchased the game and get the .tlk file from them. We just can't allow posting the raw files on the public forums (if you want to know why, take a look at our Site Rules).
  • migalmigal Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2013
    Dee said:

I've removed the link to the .tlk file from the post. We hope to have the translations ready soon, but posting links to download the raw files from the game is against site rules.

I took this link from this forum but if it's against rules then sure, I understand it :)
    Dee said:

iFile is a program that allows you to browse the files on your iPad. I don't believe it requires jailbreaking.

On iOS ? I'm afraid it does :D You can try sth from AppStore for example File Manager Pro App but I don't know how is the functionality of it.
    Post edited by migal on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    As far as I know, portraits and save folders are editable without a jailbreak, by using Ifunbox. Portraits folder allow modding too, since it can function as an override folder. But, to change dialog.tlk file you need to have jailbreak. Sadly, dialog.tlk won't work under portraits folder, unlike many other files. (.cre, .mos, .wav, .itm, .bcs, .2da)
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    @Dee What with modding? Is it piracy, when I will extract one area [bmp] and do some changes, and share .tis? Can't Dialog.tlk be modify or replace from any mod? You know mods can add all missing strings and more. Should we check all mods - maybe there are piracy? Can I share save on forum? It's absurd, this game is old...
    edited May 2013
    Unmodified files are different, @viader, and it's a slippery slope. In any case, this isn't up for discussion, and it's not up to me to change the policy.
    Post edited by Dee on
    edited May 2013
    @Dee I understand. Could you explain me what is piracy and what is modding? Here, and here we replace file... So, what files can I replace, modified and share? BGEE is friendly modding... On example, topic, which you close have modified dialog.tlk I add missing references to sounds. I fix it and share. Was it piracy or modding? I should create .tp2 pack and add references sound in it? What with files like bgee.sql, if I want add entry I must modified it. I can't make a .tp2 pack from weidu for this file... (because weidu doesn't support, extension like .sql or .gui). Should I share bgee.sql with my mod? Should you close topic with Archaic mod? He shares bgee.gui ^^
    There is a difference, but it's a subtle one. I'll try to find a more concrete answer for you today.
    viader
  • TeischusTeischus Member Posts: 28
    Dee said:

There is a difference, but it's a subtle one. I'll try to find a more concrete answer for you today.

Let me guess.. you'l get the answer "soon". Like every update is coming "soon"

i like your concrete answers..really...
    I want to make sure I'm not giving you wrong information, but I have to wait for a moment where the team members aren't neck-deep in code (which may take a while). I might not have an answer today, but as soon as I have one I'll let you know.
    i bet i know the answer, they say it's not allowed to change the file, also its not allowed to copy it from another game that is not your own, aaand they will release a patch for more languages "soon"
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Six months had passed , i know team members work hard , but it's really disappoint for the long long long time working ....

Especially , chinese is always lowest priority in the translation ,

I pre-order the game and i can pay more and more $ for developers , but i have to get what i need,
    akirachen47
    damn it, really only works with jb, have 6.1.3, so i have to wait another months..
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so I may have jumped the gun a little bit on this (which is good, in the long run). You're welcome to use the file that @cherrycoke2l posted for these purposes. @migal, you can post that link again if you want.

Sorry for the confusion--I just wanted to make sure that no one was breaking any rules (especially of the NDA variety), but everything's good here.
    TeischusviaderCuv
  • IndyJonesIndyJones Member Posts: 1
    It doesn't seems to work with the german files. Conversation texts don't work and you will get some "missing links" errors. Could it be, because there are two files, the dialog.tlk and the dialogF.tlk?
    edited May 2013
    There must be only dialog.tlk file in the folder, do not copy the dialogF.tlk file to Your iPad.
    Really no way without Jailbreak? I can only Download the file from the ipad with a fileexplorer, but its not possible to change it.. :(
    I really don't know ... You must find an app which allows You to browse folders on Your iPad and which can upload files to it.

Edit: http://www.i-funbox.com/ I think this is a solution. It says "no Jailbreak" and I see there on the screen (raw file system) a /var folder in which is the /mobile and /applications folders so try it :)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Here's the problem - iFunbox does let you browse the whole filesystem, but you can only write to certain folders unless you jailbreak. In this case, the language directory is part of the application bundle, and is therefore read only unless you jailbreak.
    lunar
    edited May 2013
    I see ... I didn't know that because I have JB. So it is clear now - You won't do this without JB for 100%.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah, without a JB you can only edit portraits folder. Fun thing is, creature, script, 2da, item and spell files all work when put in Portraits section. Dialog.tlk does not work, though.
  • MikeDeltaHHMikeDeltaHH Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2013
    Dee said:

You can grab the .tlk from an existing installation on your PC or Mac. As I said, we intend to have the translations ready for release soon; I encourage everyone to just be patient a little bit longer.

Are you kidding??? We have to wait SIX months now and the only answer is "release will be soon.." again and again! This ist totally BULLSHIT! We´ve payed for the game and we need the Translations NOW and not soon!!!
  • christian1715christian1715 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

Hello, @Dee! Please...how is the progress about the translation to ipad? Do you have any idea? Many people want to play this game with subtitles in other languages like PC.

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited September 2013
    viader said:

@Dee I understand. Could you explain me what is piracy and what is modding? Here, and here we replace file... So, what files can I replace, modified and share? BGEE is friendly modding... On example, topic, which you close have modified dialog.tlk I add missing references to sounds. I fix it and share. Was it piracy or modding? I should create .tp2 pack and add references sound in it? What with files like bgee.sql, if I want add entry I must modified it. I can't make a .tp2 pack from weidu for this file... (because weidu doesn't support, extension like .sql or .gui). Should I share bgee.sql with my mod? Should you close topic with Archaic mod? He shares bgee.gui ^^

@Viader: So I'm no dev but I think I can help with the understanding difference.

Lets start with game files. If you are allowed to post 1 unmodified game file on the forum, what about 2? 3? 20? 50? How about the whole installation as a download? Where does the line get drawn? I assume this is why there is a ban on posting unmodified game files on the forums here...allowing one means allowing any.

So where does that leave us with Mods and Config files? Is posting a copy of bgee.sql bad? What about posting a copy of a mod for the game?

Configuration files are different game to game. If I'm required / asked to modify a file for game play (as we are with things like baldurs.ini and others) then I see no problem with posting that file...it's intended to be user modifiable and thus public.

Mods then are the sticking point and you make a good case here. I'll rebut by saying that a game modder walks a fine line. Lets take BG:Tutu for a moment. BG:Tutu changes a HUGE number of files in a base BG installation. It would be VERY easy for the BG:Tutu folks to simply include everything in their BG:Tutu package that needs to change instead of forcing people to have BG and BGII installed and then install Tutu. Fact is, however, if they were to include all the modded files directly it's likely that players could play without owning one or both of the games.

Modders have every right to post whatever they need to for their mod...but at the end of the day, if their mod breaks an EULA by distributing propriarity portions of BG without permission, then the BG Folks (in this case BeamDog/Overhaul) have every right to ask the Modder to take that mod down and/or if significant damages have been done, go after that modder in court for piracy/license infringement or whatever else they deem suitable to recoup costs from the infringement.

Even though this HASN'T happened, doesn't mean it can't. When you are a modder, there is an informal agreement between you and the game developer that what you are providing enhances the game in a way that the original rights holder would approve of to the benefit of the player community and the right's holder all at once. If your mod crosses into an area (such as delivering more files than it needs to or enabling easier breaking of copy protection) that no longer becomes beneficial to both parties, you are stepping into a dangerous area. Don't forget: Modders are only allowed to mod these games at the behest of the right's owners. Whether through direct acceptance or benign neglect, BG Tutu only exists because someone actively allows it to. There is no "right" for someone to hack the internals of a game and release enhancements.

So, to the question of: "So, what files can I replace, modified and share?", the answer is actually very simple: "None that you don't have express permission for."

You may not get your hand slapped for posting something that is beneficial to the community at large and OverHaul Games, but unless you have an actual legal agreement, anything you release to the public is technically copyright infringement and actionable by BeamDog/OverHaul.

So the real answer to your question about what is the best way to replace and modify content in BG:EE without getting in trouble is: Follow the rules of wherever it is you're releasing that content, ask for permission before releasing proprietary content if you can get it, and be respectful of takedown requests if they happen.

Otherwise: It's well known that BG and BGII have a huge modding community. Have fun, Mod, but don't get upset when something like this happens. Work with the people asking for you to take down your mod or files and see if there's a better way to make that content available.

In this case, through discussion, we've gotten the following "Acceptable" solutions:

1) Buy a copy of the PC Version and Use that.
    2) Find a friend with a copy of the PC Version and use files from that copy.
    3) (New) Obtain the original file as identified in the original link above and use that (the authorization has been given that this file is ok to obtain through a reference on these forums).

or 4) Wait for the official release of the content. :)
    Zeckul
    edited September 2013
    @Illydth If I link on official forum Baldurs Gate, here, my mod and it won't be delete, then I have Beamdog "accede"?