Skip to content

Experience for Scribing Spells in BG:EE

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
I would like to request increasing the amount of experience from scribing spells in Baldur's Gate:EE. Currently, it gives you 10 exp per spell level, which is really negligible, whereas in BG2, it gives 1000 exp per spell level, a 100x increase. I would like for scribing spells in BG:EE to be worth 100 exp per spell level, as I feel 10 exp is kind of insulting. Either that, or do away with the experience in both games, as finding and learning a new spell should be exciting for mage characters in and of itself. But if the experience is supposed to measure an increase in some knowledge/wisdom, then it really should be more than a mere 10 per level.

Comments

• karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    I've also thought about this. However 1000 xp/level would level your party to rapidly. 100 xp/level is still a pretty huge bonus consider most questrewards are kinda small.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Karl_maulder The most spells you will find are 1st, 2nd or 3rd level. It's only later that you start finding the 4th and 5th level spells, and darn few of those. I just find 10 exp per level pretty negligible. It's almost enough to make you say, "Why bother?" And why a 100-fold increase in the second game? A 10x increase seems to be more logical.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    I'd rather see a flat 500 bonus for scribing a scroll, +50 per spell level, exclusive to the mage/bard doing the scribing ONLY (as per the spell research personal xp bonus in PnP) for both games. It's completely stupid that the whole party suddenly gains xp when one of them learns a spell that the others can't even fathom or understand.

Completing an encounter together is one thing, they all contributed in some way, but learning a spell or picking lock/disarming a trap has nothing to do with the other party members.

And give thieves a personal flat 200 xp per lock/trap.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I agree 100/200/300/400/500 xp would be better. Anything spell scroll above level 3 is pretty rare and the amount of XP that is involved when split amongst 6 different people is pretty negligible.
    @Elminster Pretty much. Like I said, multiples of 10 exp, when split amongst a party, comes into the "Why bother?" territory.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Scale it with character level being 1% xp needed for the next level. Cap that scaling at Spell level = 2 * Charlv. So you'd still gain 1% from Charlevel 9 to 10 if you were Lv 12 and scribe a Level 5 spell.

Edit: In detail here:
    Charlevel 1: Scribing earns 25 XP
    Charlevel 2: Scribing earns 25 XP, Scribe cap for Spells of level 1
    (Higher character level won't increase the XP gained for scribing spells of that level)

Charlevel 3: Scribing earns 50 XP for spells of level 2+
    Charlevel 4: Scribing earns 100 XP for spells of level 2+, Scribe cap for spells of level 2
    (Higher character level won't increase the XP gained for scribing spells of that level)

Charlevel 5: Scribing earns 200 XP for spells of level 3+
    Charlevel 6: Scribing earns 200 XP for spells of level 3+, Scribe cap for spells of level 3

Charlevel 7: Scribing earns 300 XP for spells of level 4+
    Charlevel 8: Scribing earns 450 XP for spells of level 4+, Scribe cap for spells of level 4

Charlevel 9: Scribing earns 1150 XP for spells of level 5+
    Charlevel 10: Scribing earns 1250 XP for spells of level 5+, Scribe cap for spells of level 5

Spells of level 6 and higher should earn 3750 XP
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think that 50 XP per level sounds about right.
    I don't know, I think a flat amount works better. It's easier to understand, certainly.
  • A flat amount will yield too much XP in the earlier levels. A scaled value with caps (so it can't be exploited) works better.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I too find this perplexing. I would however like this system of approach for both BGEE and BG2EE

Spell lvl - xp
    lvl 1 - 100xp
    lvl 2 - 200xp
    lvl 3 - 400xp
    lvl 4 - 800xp
    lvl 5 - 1600xp
    lvl 6 - 3200xp
    lvl 7 - 6400xp
    lvl 8 - 12800xp
    lvl 9 - 25600xp

Perhaps too much xp. 9 is 3 squared so perhaps this may be more intuitive...

Spell lvl - xp
    lvl 1 - 300xp
    lvl 2 - 600xp
    lvl 3 - 900xp
    lvl 4 - 1200xp
    lvl 5 - 1500xp
    lvl 6 - 1800xp
    lvl 7 - 2100xp
    lvl 8 - 2400xp
    lvl 9 - 2700xp

No... Still too much xp early on so... last try... starting with 50 multiplying by 3 to level 5 then reverting to timesing the level by 3 level 5 onwards.

Spell lvl - xp
    lvl 1 - 50xp
    lvl 2 - 150xp
    lvl 3 - 450xp
    lvl 4 - 1350xp
    lvl 5 - 1500xp
    lvl 6 - 1800xp
    lvl 7 - 2100xp
    lvl 8 - 2400xp
    lvl 9 - 2700xp

Now that works!
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    Leveling up needs doubling your previous exp sum. So this pattern could be followed for clarity.

I like the 100 xp for level 1 scrolls. I can see how the xp applies to party members, as a good team involves every member in the party discussions for strategy. If the mage of the party learns a new trick eg: fireball, he most likely informs the party when/how they should avoid getting blown to bits.

Same way if a rogue disables a trap, she can warn the party what to pay attention to, since there are likely more of similar devices around.

I : 100
    II : 200
    III : 400
    IV : 800
    this seems best.

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    If too much XP is given, it would be too easy to abuse. Every time you find a scroll, you can just erase it and rescribe it just to get XP. If done that way, it would add up to a lot.

I would agree with LadyRhian's suggestion if the XP rewarded for writing any given spell is rewarded only for scribing it the first time.
    @Awong124 That seems like a good suggestion, too. Although it's also rare that you have that many copies of one scroll to scribe.
    @LadyRhian There are a ton of repeat scrolls you can find. Probably close to 100 throughout the game, mostly level 1 and 2 spells. If they were worth 100XP for each level, that's already at least 10000XP from scribing scrolls.
    @Awong124 True. I tend not to do stuff like that, though.
    @LadyRhian I do, lol... That's why I thought that it would be exploited in the first place, because I would be the first one to do so. But honestly, if the XP rewards for scribing scrolls are to increase tenfold, I probably wouldn't continue to do it. It would be a bit too much. Plus, the whole process is quite annoying after a while.
    @Awong124 Yeah, well, I am just upset that scribing scrolls gives so little exp in Baldur's Gate. 1/100th the amount you get from scribing spells in BG2 just doesn't seem like enough. I figured 100 exp per spell level would more accurately reflect the learning without going overboard to BG2 levels, while at the same time, making it more worth the mage's time to seek out and learn spells. I mean, part of the reason to adventure as a mage is to learn new and better magic, the more the better. It's part of the mage mindset, as I see it. Knowledge is good, more knowledge is even better! And if I can learn it all (If it's even possible), then I am in the Seven Heavens!
    @LadyRhian I do agree with you about the entire concept. The thing I have a problem with is the XP being rewarded multiple times if you erase and rewrite it. I don't think that should be the case. But then again, one can argue that you get XP every time you kill a gibberling too, not only from the first one you ever kill. So I don't know. My own preference is that the XP only be rewarded the first time, but I can't really back it up with hard logic.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Quite frankly I'm of the opinion that if you sat there deleting and relearning scrolls to the tune of 10000xp you've earned your 10000xp. Thats 10000xp divided by the number of characters you have. Its rather cost (and time) prohibitive at 100xp for level 1 scrolls to raise your characters XP substantially. You'd be better off farming ankhegs.
    elminster said:

Quite frankly I'm of the opinion that if you sat there deleting and relearning scrolls to the tune of 10000xp you've earned your 10000xp. Thats 10000xp divided by the number of characters you have. Its rather cost (and time) prohibitive at 100xp for level 1 scrolls to raise your characters XP substantially. You'd be better off farming ankhegs.

Well, you're not sitting there doing it all at once. It would be spread out over the course of the game, so it wouldn't seem quite as tedious.