Skip to content

Top 5 Most Overpowered Items for BG1

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
I love these items, they make life easy. :)

5. Wand of Sleep. Basically, ANY character can boast the single most powerful 1st level arcane spell.
4. Helmets. For a single gold piece you can become immune to critical hits. This is more of a class perk than an item, but it is also an item.
3. The Lost Gift (necklace of fireball). Same as sleep wand except this time ANY character can double as a 6th level mage casting fireball with no chance of spell interruption. I love solo runs.
2. Drizzt's swords. Take the ring of fire resistance, the helmet of defense, and Icing Death. And you have 110% fire resistance. Combined with a +2 AC and a +3 to hit and damage with each arm...and whao...
1. Scrolls of magic resistance. Just wow. I laugh at mages. The use of the word "resistance" here is pretty much inaccurate. It's flat out immunity. Go ahead, ask Davedorn.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    I found the Stupefier to be quite silly, as stun-immunity is fairly rare in BG1.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 380
    Before it was nerfed I found that the Cloak of Algernon was all too powerful.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited September 2013
    "Wand of Sleep. Basically, ANY character can boast the single most powerful 1st level arcane spell."

Not quite. The spell sleep has a penalty (-3) to any enemy trying to save vs spell against it. The wand doesn't have that. Its still is powerful though but you will notice more enemies avoiding the wands effect.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

I found the Stupefier to be quite silly, as stun-immunity is fairly rare in BG1.

I would agree except for the simple fact that I keep missing with it. :(

BTW Boots of speed should be #1, I messed up. You can outrun spells, trap effects, and even missle weapons. And if you are a backstabber? Forgetaboutit.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    The stupifier mace is high overpowered
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think the big-fisted belt is a contender.
  • setsunaluvrsetsunaluvr Member Posts: 29
    Boots of Speed. If we were talking the second game, well, there is nothing that tops the Cloak of Cheese *ahem* I mean Mirroring.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Boots of speed is the most useful item, I agree.

The other items you mentioned are way overpowered and I edit them down in my own game. I also think all wands are very powerful and they are plenty in bg.

Wand of sleep:5 charges, only usable by mage/bards, can not be sold to recharge.
    The lost gift:3 charges, can not be sold to recharge.
    I also lower the charges of all wands in the game and make them unsellable. So no more sell/buy it back at 100 charges shenenigans.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    1. Stupefier
    2. Stupefier
    3. Stupefier
    4. Scroll of Magic Resistance
    5. Katanas
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    much as i hate to say it, Ashideena, Varscona, Ankheg Plate, Ring of Wizardry. You can get all these items before you even tackle the Nashkel mines and it makes life easy for most of your time up until you get to Baldur's Gate city (and even before the city if you want, you can have a second Ankheg Plate made)
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Dagger of Venom.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Lateralus said:

4. Helmets. For a single gold piece you can become immune to critical hits. This is more of a class perk than an item, but it is also an item.

My Thief says "What helmets?" :-(

Anyway...

#5) Stupifier Mace (Although I rarely use it)
    #4) Drizzt's Scimitars (Although, I can't use the -2AC one)
    #3) Dagger of Venom (Look ma! I am an assassin now too!)
    #2) Boots of Speed (Paws of Chiktika Fastpaws)
    #1) scrolls of (magic) protection (what "dangerous mages"?)

Honorary mentions - Shield Amulet, Greenstone Amulet, Wand of Monster Summoning.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2013
    no mention of wand of paralasis that thing works on pretty much anything including most of the more powerful enemies in the game
    Southpaw said:

Lateralus said:

My Thief says "What helmets?" :-(

Anyway...

#5) Stupifier Mace (Although I rarely use it)
    #4) Drizzt's Scimitars (Although, I can't use the -2AC one)
    #3) Dagger of Venom (Look ma! I am an assassin now too!)
    #2) Boots of Speed (Paws of Chiktika Fastpaws)
    #1) scrolls of (magic) protection (what "dangerous mages"?)

Honorary mentions - Shield Amulet, Greenstone Amulet, Wand of Monster Summoning.
    When my second lev fighter fights an ogre; I feel confident. When my 6th lev bard fights and ogre, I cringe everytime the ogre winds up.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    element said:

No mention of wand of paralysis that thing works on pretty much anything including most of the more powerful enemies in the game

Wand of paralysis is fine. Though it has not worked wonders for me. And it can be operated only by mages (if only thieves could :-( ).
    Another honorary mention - the Wand of Heavens. Operated by Clerics, great damage...it's a bummer you can only buy it in Baldur's Gate, Branwen loves the thing.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Arrows of Detonation.

Since they're essentially 6d6 fireballs fired at a minimum of 2 ATT/round, you can carpet bomb most enemies into oblivion in just a couple of rounds. Sure, they're expensive, but your party amasses so much gold that you can eventually buy scores of these. Not that using them isn't fun, but I try to limit my use of them so that the game is still challenging.
    Mortianna said:

Arrows of Detonation.

Since they're essentially 6d6 fireballs fired at a minimum of 2 ATT/round, you can carpet bomb most enemies into oblivion in just a couple of rounds. Sure, they're expensive, but your party amasses so much gold that you can eventually buy scores of these. Not that using them isn't fun, but I try to limit my use of them so that the game is still challenging.

Yeah it's pretty devasting when ur always 100% immune to fire damage too, because u can generate 12d6 fire damage at ur feet.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I totally agree with @element on the wand of paralysis. Get a couple of them & ensure any mage or bard in the party has them quickslotted.

Demon Knights, Aec'Letec, Loup Garou, Sarevok, none of them are immune. And there are several wands lying around from fairly early on.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Dagger of Venom
    Stupefier
    Arrows of explosions
    Wands of fireballs
    Wands of summoning
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Mortianna said:

Arrows of Detonation.

I like to target different enemies with them, and my wands of fire! :D! Wands on those little fellers on the outside, arrows on one of the fellers on the inside~
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Honourable mentions to oils of fiery burning. They may only be 5d6 fireballs but they use a save vs. breath as opposed to save vs. spell and so are usually harder to save against.

Give them to anyone who can't use a wand of fire. Good times.
  • Dalis918Dalis918 Member Posts: 37
    Hmm. Keyboard with CLUAConsole enabled makes the Keyboard the most overpowered item in the game. I mean look at the stats, Instant heal/ressurection, teleportation, High damage, trap high-lighting, polymorph, summoning and many other powers. Seriously that combination needs to be nerfed. *nod*

Aside from that, boots of speed, potion of power, Any +3 weapon is op for BG. +2 is all you really need. Also, Vampiric Longsword. Very overpowered and rightly so considering the lengths you go through to get it.... just not overpowered for you.... T_T