Skip to content

Which class makes the most "sense"?

Comments

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    There was a similar thread that had a great justification for ranger. It inspired me to create a ranger that I played about halfway through.

A lot of folks talk about experience charts correlating to backstory in these discussions, which I don't think has a part in the narrative. A character that trained for years, or just begins their class at the start of the game, both make sense to me as long as I like the character concept.

Same can be said of race. An elf (dwarf) growing up with humans and maturing quicker than an elf in the forest (dwarf in cave) makes sense to me. It's all about the freedom to create the character you want.
    Post edited by ReadingRambo on
    BelgarathMTH
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Keep in mind...you DO start at level 1 in this game. Level one imo is more of a yearning for a class rather than proficiency, skill or ability. (Be honest here, how many DM's really start an adventure at lv. 1 when being killed by a housecat is completely possible?) With this in mind, even Druid and Ranger can make sense within the confines of Candlekeep.

Druid: CHARNAME grows up in a mostly artificial keep. Seeing any act of nature grow within must be like seeing a unicorn with a leprechaun mounted. Combine the inherent nature for death and chaos of CHARNAME's lineage with the good and order "nurture" Gorion promotes and it creates the most sense in terms of alignment. You would have someone who is trying to make sense of a world they have been brought up to believe is good and just, but there is an innate draw towards death and chaos. Given the philosophies of a druid, it would make sense that a druidic philosophy would help CHARNAME make sense of both the teachings they have received as well as the inclinations bred in the bone as it would allow them to make sense of a natural order of destruction and creation.

Ranger: This one is a bit easier imo. Rangers are at home in the wilderness - You've spent your entire life in a cloistered keep. I imagine there would have to be at least some degree of wanderlust there, and SOMEONE has to do the hunting to keep the keep's food stores up. Why couldn't CHARNAME? It would make sense that they would want to go out and hunt in order to satiate the need for killing even if only a little bit. Logically speaking, I would see a Ranger class have being the most capable of taking life prior to the start of the game, even if its only an animal. Whereas, other classes don't really have the opportunity to kill/hunt save for possibly fighters or barbarians.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I am always amazed by the problems people have with their own character and their justification... especially with classes that aren't overly obvious.
    You close your CHARNAME within tall Candlekeep walls, you shelter yourself...you limit yourself by the walls you have built yourself. You only set rules for yourself that hinder you...why?

I personally like to loosen the leash of my imagination and think of any backstory that suits me. Be it believable, or utterly insane...as soon as I am having a good time, I am satisfied.
    (That's why I am playing a MindFlayer Swashbuckler...a fledgling from the Underdark - that I helped to create on this forum)
    ReadingRamboMathmick
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Southpaw said:

I am always amazed by the problems people have with their own character and their justification... especially with classes that aren't overly obvious.
    You close your CHARNAME within tall Candlekeep walls, you shelter yourself...you limit yourself by the walls you have built yourself. You only set rules for yourself that hinder you...why?

I personally like to loosen the leash of my imagination and think of any backstory that suits me. Be it believable, or utterly insane...as soon as I am having a good time, I am satisfied.
    (That's why I am playing a MindFlayer Swashbuckler...a fledgling from the Underdark - that I helped to create on this forum)

Whaaaaaaaaa??? How is this possible?!

Furthermore, totally possible to have been raised by Gorion if he had a mindflayer fetish and somehow managed to convince everyone in Candlekeep it was a very powerful illusion-spell and CHARNAME never questioned this nor saw a reflection.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    They added class-oriented bits? Whar?

Favored Soul makes the most sense to me, but it isn't in the game...
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Obviously you can find a justification for any class/race combo. I assume the point of this thread is that some make more sense than others.

Sure, you can write a backstory for a chaotic evil half-orc kensai, but its much more of a stretch than others mentioned in this thread.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

Southpaw said:

Whaaaaaaaaa??? How is this possible?!

Furthermore, totally possible to have been raised by Gorion if he had a mindflayer fetish and somehow managed to convince everyone in Candlekeep it was a very powerful illusion-spell and CHARNAME never questioned this nor saw a reflection.
    Ahh...there was a full group of Underdark characters (a Beholder, Mummy, Myconid ...) who got drunk in a tavern and got somehow teleported to the surface...under an illusion spell that the surface-dwellers can not see thru so they look like humans/elves/gnomes to them. That's actually changing normal in-game characters appearance to MindFlayer, Beholder etc...
    We started a wacky run with other forum members and wrote a journal in one thread. Journal full of popcultural shot-outs, jokes and awkward situations especially because the group regularly misunderstands the canon story events.

Recently, we have re-started it... (I hope it will last)
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    hmmmm mage would be a good sense one for roleplaying as you would be folloing in gorions footsteps.... sorcerer (new for BG:EE) could be roleplayed as your "divine" bloodline fuels your magic. cleric makes the least sense unless your worshiping an evil god as i would think the good gods would see the truth (trying to avoid spoilers) and thus not accept you. barbarian makes sense aswell (GIANT SPOILERS BELOW DO NOT READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH)

your "natural" ability to kill being the son of bhaal makes sense for some form of inner savagery after being kept up in an impenetrable fortress for god knows how many years
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    As a multiclass, these may make sense:
    Fighter/Thief: You were trained by the guards, but learnt some tricks from Imoen in your free time.
    Fighter/Mage: You were trained by the guards and by Gorion
    Fighter/Cleric (of Oghma): You trained with the guards in the use of blunt weapons and chose a spiritual path under Oghma.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief: You learnt from Imoen, Gorion and the guards a bit of each, but did not perfect any of the paths.

Cleric (of Oghma)/Mage: Being initiated as a cleric of Oghma, you also chose to learn the arcane arts under Gorion's tutelage.

Mage/Thief: You chose to be under Gorion's tutelage, but in your free time, learnt from Imoen as well.

Not making sense:
    Fighter/Druid: Nope. I doubt Jaheira could have visited Candlekeep often.
    Cleric/Ranger: No known ranger under Gorion's relationship and nature is outside of Oghma's scope.
    Cleric/Thief: While possible to learn from Imoen, I don't think Oghma's dogma permits shady skills.
  • XereckXereck Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2013
    When the big patch hits I'm going to make a playthrough with a character which I think will fit the storyline perfectly:

A Chaotic Good Human Fighter whom, as he learns more and more about his heritage and identity of his real father, gains a deeper interest in the Divine and begins to go down the Cleric path.

Thus I'll end up with a Dual-classed Fighter/Cleric. My plan is to dual around the end of BG:EE in order to justify his devotion to becoming a Cleric in the period between defeating Sarevok and being caught by Irenicus :)

With that being said I think that Ranger and Druid are the least suitable classes for the storyline. Not remembering ever having been further away from Candlekeep than the outer walls and having spent most of your time in the stables and looking at birds from the towers, makes a weak argument :p
  • theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2013
    None of the classes makes sense from this point of view, really.

At the character creation player should only be able to set up abilities, in the following manner: "...ok, so the protagonist is quite strong for his age, he wrestled a lot with Winthrop during childhood, I'll give him 18 STR, but on the other hand, he read a lot of books from Tethoril's private library, so let's give him 16 WIS". In the next step, player should asssign weapon proficiences and skills. And this is all. As a result, the protagonist is described only by above-mentioned elements, he has no class whatsoever, but he is now predisposed to become, for example, fighter (as he is strong, dexterous) or cleric (you know, books and all that knowledge coming from high WIS) but definitely not a mage, since he is quite dumb (low INT), etc.

But I can only dream ;P

This is why I prefer Planescape: Torment over BG ;) where you can change your class during playthrough. Of course P:T is a completely different case, because Nameless One has no memories whatsoever - IMHO this circumstance justifies that he starts as a pure fighter.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    The most sense is fighter/mage/cleric

Fighter - You are the biological son of the lord of murder
    Mage - You were raised by gorian, a mage, in candlekeep
    Cleric - You are a demigod! You even gain cleric spells as natural abilities as your power matures. And gorian knew what your father is and should have directed you towards devoutness towards the gods of good in order to help ensure you turn out a good person and that you have someone "on your side" when you stand up to your heritage as a good person.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i still claim that people who choose cleric of a good god are....hopeful that the holy gods might ignore that little factoid about who your father is :P thief i can see even at a rebel standpoint, in a giant fortress full of guards, a good test of skill would be "can i outsmart them?" as a child....bard could also make sense if you think a bard might have worked for winthrop and that's how you learned to play an instrument and all the thievery skills etc came from imoen and again with magic in your blood (being a demigod) would explain magic and gorion explains your control of said magic
    XerxesV
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    He's a Cleric/Mage/Thief. We're getting there...
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Bard makes a ton of sense from a RP perspective. Visiting bookworms need booze and song too, that's where you come in. Anybody born in that place, and raised by an arch-mage, is gonna grow up with some INT. I often sense that the games fun has been maximized around the bard class.
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    It's just a pity I absolutely hate bards. No idea why but the idea of them completely annoys me - probably because on the board game if you're a bard you're the first one to die no matter where you're standing since monsters can be picky too.

Need to make an extra slot for Bard/Cleric/Mage/Thief. With the description on it being a single word, "Why?"
    EntropyXII
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The only thing I disliked about the Nameless One is that he should've simply become a mutliclass as you awakened his other classes, instead of swapping like it did...that's the only thing that really bothered me overall. (remedied quite easily once I had done his mage and thief quest and just used the editor to swap him to F/M/T). Since he's effectively a maxed level of each class anyway, and simply remembering his skills as time goes on, I see no point not to.
  • boudicaboudica Member Posts: 6
    I think blackguard makes the most sense because you are the lord of murder. Really, they all could make sense. I think there is even a rabbit or chinchilla bhaalspawn in TOB
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013

The only thing I disliked about the Nameless One is that he should've simply become a mutliclass as you awakened his other classes, instead of swapping like it did...that's the only thing that really bothered me overall. (remedied quite easily once I had done his mage and thief quest and just used the editor to swap him to F/M/T).

Holy balls I have to remember that when I replay PST. I didn't even know you COULD be an F/M/T in PST(since there's no character with that class)
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013

i still claim that people who choose cleric of a good god are....hopeful that the holy gods might ignore that little factoid about who your father is :P thief i can see even at a rebel standpoint, in a giant fortress full of guards, a good test of skill would be "can i outsmart them?" as a child....bard could also make sense if you think a bard might have worked for winthrop and that's how you learned to play an instrument and all the thievery skills etc came from imoen and again with magic in your blood (being a demigod) would explain magic and gorion explains your control of said magic

1. Clerics don't need a god.
    2. You can be a cleric of yourself, especially as a demi-god
    3. They are called the GOOD gods for a reason. And having the son of bhaal become one of their clerics in good standing is a huge freaking victory for what they preach.

The only thing I disliked about the Nameless One is that he should've simply become a mutliclass as you awakened his other classes, instead of swapping like it did...that's the only thing that really bothered me overall. (remedied quite easily once I had done his mage and thief quest and just used the editor to swap him to F/M/T). Since he's effectively a maxed level of each class anyway, and simply remembering his skills as time goes on, I see no point not to.

I agree, they really dropped the ball on that one.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    taltamir said:

1. Clerics don't need a god.
    2. You can be a cleric of yourself, especially as a demi-god

Neither of these things are true, at least not in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
    Mrpenfold666
    edited September 2013
    1. Actually in Faerun ALL divine casters MUST have a god (otherwise they lose all spellcasting and supernatural abilities, but not stuff resulting from training). In a more generic setting (Greyhawk for instance) you can worship an ideal or alignment instead of a god, but in Forgotten Realms, it's all about the gods of you want to wield divine power or not end up in the Wall when you die. (Some deities will actually refuse to allow their raise spells to work on atheists, since they are literally the enemy of all gods, due to the God's strength and existence being tied to their number and fervor of their worshippers (hence why the God of psionics has been asleep for 1700 years...his worshippers are more interested in plumbing the depths of their own power and thus have basically no fervor since they don't need his power, even if they do at least acknowledge the god as their patron and by practicing Psionics are worshipping him in their own way, if indirectly).

2. Could happen, but you would be keenly aware that something was wrong and different vs other clerics and the PC's essence doesn't begin to stir until after Gorion's death.

3. Is HIGHLY unlikely, because AO forbid any god from directly interfering with the Bhaalspawn and granting spells to you is directly supporting you since it's the same as directly protecting you themselves, but granting spells to a companion who then helps you of their own free will is not, the deity simply can't ORDER them to help/hinder you...even Cyric had to get your permission to specifically send his favored to fight you.

It's also why Irenicus $%#^%slapped Rilifane...because Irenicus had basically become a Bhaalspawn himself, Rilifane couldn't act against him directly.

It's also why Elminister can't help you. His chosen status makes him much more liable then a mere worshiper of a god is, and what little support he supplied was pretty much the extent of what he was allowed.

Some areas like Sigil, or a few out of the outer planes that exist in multiple cosmologies are exception to this, since AO won't interfere with travellers from other Cosmologies, but much like in Ravenloft those traveling outside their cosmology feel disconnected and distant from their divine source (but without the complete silence happens to those who fall into Ravenloft).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    Mrpenfold666Madhax
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    The thing is Candlekeep itself manifests the reason you could be almost any of the classes or kits. Lets face it, it is a hub for adventurers. Any of the options present at chargen would have reason to travel to Candlekeep to research whatever quest they were on, even Druids, Rangers and Barbarians. Candlekeep is THE greatest single repository of books in the realms. The steep entry fee means that those that do gain entry are likely successful and medium to high level.

When considering Clerics, think on the number of Clerics from around the realms who would have cause to research some obscure point of scripture, it doesn't just have to be from the Candlekeep temple. You would also likely have a regular and steady stream of adventurers of all stripes passing through, so the PC merely needs to pick up points and basics from each one of his/her chosen class that passes through over 20 years until voila he/she is a level 1 0xp representative of said class.

Even if people want to go with 3rd ed Barbarian illiteracy, it is perfectly possible for an adventuring party passing through to have one who might have little better to do than teach the PCs whilst the rest of the party gets on with research.

I think Candlekeep was a very clever location to set as the PCs origin as it really does allow for anything.
    Mrpenfold666
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited September 2013
    @Samiel - in D&D I never really consider Barbarians as they are on a cultural sense. I mostly consider Barbarians in Candlekeep as young, unruly warriors who do not take to lessons easily and dreams of leaving the keep. He/she would often have a short temper as well.

Barbarians in my mind are simply fighters, without the disciplined training. I would see it as CHARNAME did not take well to the orders and lessons of Hull and the various other watchmen. Probably got into a couple of fights growing up also.

In DnD terms their are two types of Barbarians:

1) Barbarians who grew up culturally nomadic, living in harmony with nature and cry Tempus when they charge into battle. These barbarians are mistrusting of civilisations and magic and have a culturally defined code of honour. These types of barbarians are illiterate and have no need of useless books and schools.

2) Barbarians who grew up in civilised lands. They resent the rules and limitations placed upon them and long for freedom and adventure. They prefer the freedom of the open lands but have no problem walking amongst cities. They can lose their temper easily and fight in such a barbaric and violent manner that they could be labelled barbarians. They are not as well trained and as disciplined as fighters because they do not take well to lessons - a reason this type of barbarian would still be illiterate (you could say he constantly skipped classes at Candlekeep).

The above does 'not' describe a Berserker. A Berserker is a well trained and disciplined fighter who trains to harness their anger into the berserker mode. The barbarians rage is much more feral and wild.

Can I also ask: Why do people keep referring to the fact that Blackguard and Fighter would be the most obvious types because CHARNAME is the child of the god of murder?

Bhaal was an Assassin! Not a fighter or Blackguard. Bhaal liked to sneak about in shadows and stab people in the back with his +5 withering bone daggers!
    MoradinJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    edited September 2013
    You actually have it backwards....Barbarians are the ones trained to harness their rage in a controlled nature due to it being a part of their traditions (most tribes veiw it as opening themselves up to channel the might of their ancestors/sacred spirit/etc), while berserkers go completely bat$%#^ insane with rage (hence by berserkers get winded and barbarians don't. The Barbarians don't push themselves completely beyond their physical limits)...which sadly BG didn't implement that part of their rage (the PnP berserker is barely hanging on to their sanity to point that they have 30% chance while in combat of going completely out of control for the remainder of their rage).

Easiest way to describe it as barbarians being able to give themselves a short, on-demand adrenaline rush when they need it, while Berserkers work themselves into a frothing at the mouth insane frenzy that messes their bodies up from pushing too far.

And nomadic barbarians or those from tribes have ritualized rages as part of their culture (Complete barbarian), while "civilized" barbarians (The Complete fighter barbarian) simply have a unique life-style and outlook that makes people like or hate them more strongly (depending on if they view that outlook as cool or savage) and can't rage at all (they just have unusually high minimum str/con requirements (15 each vs the 9 str minimum a fighter requires) making them much physically stronger and tougher on average then fighters, but are also less skilled in combat due to looser and rougher martial traditions (aka, can't go beyond specialization).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    Madhax
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I somewhat like BG for not making much sense at all. Everything is so inherently broken and inconsistent that I can't help but agree with... @Southpaw
    Things get all the funnier when you try to roleplay something utterly ridiculous. A psychotic murderous Bhaalspawn squirrel that is very rude to Elminster and yet lives to tell the tale? A valiant gnoll swashbuckler who, offended by Drizzt's offer to betray his kin roasts his chicken-tasting meat with his comrades the very evening? An orc bard that sings so terribly that most of his enemies behave like Khalid when they hear his song? An evil siren who achieves almost all her goals by showing some boob to a conveniently-placed male? The reasons for their existence within the realm of BG (which is noticeably different from P&P D&D, as film adaptations based on books are often different from the actual books) are just as good for any 'regular' Bhaalspawn, and that is because there is just so little reason within the realm. So, if you play it, play it so that you enjoy it. Though, I must say that the discourse contained within this thread is certainly a good start if you work on a dissertation in certain fields of the humanities and social sciences.
    Southpaw
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @ZanathKariashi - I stand corrected and shamed.

-hangs head in shame-
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

3. Is HIGHLY unlikely, because AO forbid any god from directly interfering with the Bhaalspawn and granting spells to you is directly supporting you since it's the same as directly protecting you themselves...

I find this highly dubious. Granting spells doesn't grant you the wisdom to use them well, or channel them effectively, or prepare a lot of them. Granting spells does not inform CHARNAME where to go or what to do. Seems about as indirect as it gets, like handing somebody a weapon but not telling them how to use it or who to kill.
    edited September 2013
    Go read up on it. That's EXACTLY how granting spells works from a God to his clerics, what the cleric does with the spells if up to him, unless he's under a specific mission from his god.

But that doesn't apply to you, because you are a Bhaalspawn and granting you spells is the same as the deity protecting you themselves, and especially if you used those spells against another Bhaalspawn now they're clearly playing favorites by aiding one Bhaalspawn against another.

But if they give spells to a non-Bhaalspawn, who then aids or hinders Bhaalspawn because they because they felt like it, rather then because their deity said to, that's indirect.

Letting one of their servants give you some general advice about a situation, and directly putting a spell capable of destroying a city into your mind to use for your goals are to VERY different levels interference.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

As I've mentioned twice before, the character lack-luster interest in learning (but not dumb by any stretch), at least in his younger days, has been outright stated several times, in game, therefore a mage or bard, at least at the start is likely impossible. (He's also implied to have had a chaotic (frequently shirking duties and classes to have fun) but benevolent streak (if a little snarky at times), making CG his mostly likely starting alignment).

I reject this entirely. Where is it stated? There are several references to possibly goofing off in several of the setup conversations, but if you avoid those types of choices in the dialogue, then I don’t see it. I think a Mage or Bard are easily very likely choices being that you are raised in Candlekeep by Gorion (who is a powerful mage).

As far as others’ perceptions of your behavior (benevolent, if a bit snarky), these are perceptions of other people. They only represent who your character actually is if you choose to let that be the case. A person can be one way to the world at large and another way entirely in their own mind. Worse still, people often ascribe attributes and personalities based on their own personalities. Someone who is snarky and jovial might tend to see everyone as a bit snarky and jovial. We filter based on our personalities and experiences.

A thief (Imeon being one of his best friends growing up) or a fighter (Fuller implies the PC has trained with guards many times before) are the most likely candidates.

I agree that these are viable choices as you have ready made examples of others in your environment who have the same skill set (suggests that there is some form of training available).

Druids, barbarians, rangers are rightout, you cannot learn those skills from a manual, they need practical experience as well.

Hold on there. I reject this as well. There are plenty of creative ways that you could learn these.

Ex: Barbarian. Growing up, you were always a bit of a wild child. You took well enough to martial training, but there was something deep inside you that yearned a wilder and more basic nature. You trained hard with the Candlekeep guard but never quite got the hang of armor or weapons, and your style was raw and far more aggressive than your teachers would have you. One day, a member of the guard, a Barbarian from the north who had left his tribe to seek his fortune but now serves in Candlekeep, came to you and told you why you were so restless. He told you stories of battle and glory and the ‘Old ways’. Finding a kindred spirit of sorts, you listened and absorbed everything you could about his tribe. Several visitors who came to visit the old guard also brought stories and lore about Barbarian ways and you always badgered them for more when they came. Over the years, your mentor furthered your training until came the day when you could learn no more from him and needed to go out in the world to tell your own story. You are a level 1 Barbarian.

EX: Druid. As part of your training, you had to learn herb lore and botany. These areas you always excelled in. Very quickly you surpassed the lore master on herb lore and plant medicine, and you always had an affinity with the animals that were kept in the Keep. Digging into the library, you studied all of the gods associated with animals and druidic life until you found one the touched your soul. You read about the druidic circle that was just outside Candlekeep and the druid rites that were performed there until you could perform them blindfolded. One day a member of a local druid coven came to Candlekeep to speak. You sought her out and you both talked late into the evening about all things druidic. You became fast friends and every time she returned, she brought news of nature and the rule of balance. Eventually you adopted your chosen Deity into your heart and began praying to them nightly. Miraculously, the small plants that grew outside your tiny window sill flourished. And one day, while walking in the grove, you swore that a bird spoke to you telling you that someone was hurt, but it must have been in your mind. You ran to the training fiends “just to be sure” and found that one of the guards had gotten hurt in combat practice. When you touched his wound it miraculously healed. You were touched by the power of your deity. Hey presto, you are a level 1 Druid. (most level 1 and level 2 divine spells are 99% faith and 1% divine ability anyway).

Monks no, Candlekeep isn't that kind of Monastery.

Clerics would only be possible if they're drawing on their divinity for spells, but I'm sure they'd notice very early on that their patron wasn't speaking to them the way that other clerics commune with their deities for inspiration for new goals.

Candlekeep has a chapel to Ogma. Surely there is at least one cleric there and probably several, any of which could have taught you the basic concepts of faith and devotion. Add to that the vast library of tomes on hand so learning about whatever Deity you choose would have been child’s play. Given the type of world that Faerun is, just about everyone in that world worships someone, so there is more than a fair chance that representatives of most of the major churches would visit or have local temples that could be visited for anyone wanting to learn more. Anyone with enough drive and inventiveness could easily have found someone to tutor them in the particulars. And again, most divine abilities at 1st level are more about faith and devotion rather than Divine powers granting abilities.

Sorcerer is unlikely due to their known frequent training with the guard. Sorcerers without exception develop their powers early and due to the ease the Art comes to them, disdain pretty much all other pursuits beyond exploring their own powers.

I took a bunch of classes in high school and college that have nothing to do what so ever with my chosen profession. Just because you are forced to take a class, doesn’t mean you want/like or excel in it. Other than that, you are right in that sorcerers are innately developed talent. Once that talent manifested, there would be any number of people at Candlekeep who could teach a budding sorcerer how to control these powers. If anything, since sorcerers powers are innate, they manifest regardless of who or what you want to be. It would seem inevitable that sorcerers would manifest in Candlekeep (or get sent there to learn once their powers did manifest). Since no initial training is necessary, this seems like the MOST likely, not the least.

Due to the explicit timeline involved, only really Human, Half-Elf, and Half-orc fit as possible race choices. An Elf would be around 40 to be Charname's level of development, while dwarves and Gnomes would need about 28-ish, Halflings are pretty close, but not exactly there.

This is in fact a problem with the game. I give you that one.

As mentioned earlier I'm reasonably sure that the PC is a CG Human Fighter, who later duals to a mage after getting to experience what an epic level mage can do to you when you are focused only on physical combat first hand. (and keep in mind 8-10 are a level of experience for grizzled veterans that most people will never reach in their lifetime, so in-setting they are a group of very experienced adventurers getting roflstomped effortless by enemies with powerful magical aid).

That is one interpretation. Not the one I subscribe too, but one possibility certainly.
    BelgarathMTHEntropyXII