Skip to content

BG3

I hope BG3 plots deals with attracting followers to the god of your choice. During the time of troubles Ao decreed that a god's power was tied to his number of followers. So when one creates their PC choosing a god would be part of the process/early quests. It would be epic to have different gods courting CHARNAME. I would like to see priest/paladin/monk kits for every god. After earning status/rep PC would become one the chosen like Mystra did, granting special powers for non-faith based classes. I could imagine demigods attracting mortal followers and viaing for god status. Wars erupting against different factions could be a online RTS aspect of the game. Race wars and alliances would be another aspect. All the money gained from adventuring could be spent in new ways like building temples and building up large amounts of followers. End game could be becoming chosen/king/high priest/general/rock star of your chosen race and religion. Forgotten Realms has a wealth of history to draw upon and that could be the crown jewel of BG3 as it was in the previous installments.

Starting areas would be different based on race and religion giving epic replay ability. For example a wizard would might become a pupil of Elmister. A drow ranger could be a pupil of dritzz. Evil surface elves could start out the game by being cast out of elven society (one of my favorites). Could you imagine being able to play any race from the forgotten realms and having your own custom area based on your character creation? :).

Mounts as status symbols/something to buy/faster travel would be epic. Every kind of mount from Dragons to flying owls and everything else one has read in a novel. Mounts based on race. Female Paladins/ Elves get unicorns. Spellcasters and Druids gain special travel advantages like teleport/flight!

Non-weapon profiencies would be round out the role playing aspect of the game.

Online gladiator pits! Online profiles of your charcters and so guild could be formed. Everyone would try it once.

P.S. If you remake the TSR games for the Ipad ill buy 'em.

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    No. BG3 is going to be a sad tale about a young Dryad named Tom and his missing acorns...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Anduin said:

No. BG3 is going to be a sad tale about a young Dryad named Tom and his missing acorns...

An Dryad (female by nature) named Tom? Does she have a gift in the end?

Just hope, without much expectation, that BG3 have 2 separated storylines, 2 world wide adventures with tons of gamehours to play in the same title. One for a charname that choose to become the new deity of murderer and another for a charname that refuse the essence at the end of BG2, ToB.

An divine adventure in D&D could bring a new perspective to D&D games, as this was never done before. To play as a god in the multi-verse could bring many new elements, as clean and secure your divine plane as an reflex of who you are, manipulate events in the material plane, manifest as an avatar and act in the material plane, invade other deities planes or take control of non-claimed planes, gather faithful to worship you.

An change in the nature of the plane based on the main char alignment, the new deity, could even move that plane from it's position in the multi-verse, draggin it from the abyss to other related aligned places in the multi-verse (as was done in PS:T with the neutral plane that was being dragged to Carceri).

People can (and some probally will) disagree with me, but i see a lot of potential here.

By another side, an main char that refused the divine ascenssion in ToB would be an very powerful mortal anyway, leading him to a lot of new important events and draggin the attention of many powers on Faerûn and the multi-verse.

But then, maybe i'm just rambling about something not possible of be done.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @kamuizin I'd like that a lot - definitely a more complex, challenging and refreshing project than the standard solution of just making a relatively unconnected game set on the Sword Coast with a new, low-level protagonist and slapping the BG title on it.
    edited September 2013
    Shin said:

@kamuizin I'd like that a lot - definitely a more complex, challenging and refreshing project than the standard solution of just making a relatively unconnected game set on the Sword Coast with a new, low-level protagonist and slapping the BG title on it.

I would love other D&D titles or even another adventure in the sword coast with a low level party, but then, with no link to main char in BG or the NPCs that wouldn't be Baldur's Gate.

The divine char name BG3 would probally follow some features of Black & White game. Of course D&D is a much more complex game and we would need to go a lot deeper in terms of storyline and lore than the pointed game. I never played black & white but i believe it's an strategy alike game, in my idea of a BG3 this can be part of the game but not the whole game otherwise will not be an D&D RPG system anymore.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited September 2013

That doesn't sound much like Baldur's Gate, more like some other DnD/Forgotten Realms title. Not a bad thing, mind you, just there is no real reason to tack the name Baldur's Gate on it.

I can give you three reasons for tacking the Baldur's Gate name on it:
    1. recognizability
    2. profitability
    3. fucking money

I.e. same reasons why we got Syndicate sequel... as an FPS.

That doesn't sound much like Baldur's Gate, more like some other DnD/Forgotten Realms title. Not a bad thing, mind you, just there is no real reason to tack the name Baldur's Gate on it.

I can give you three reasons for tacking the Baldur's Gate name on it:
    1. recognizability
    2. profitability
    3. fucking money

I.e. same reasons why we got Syndicate sequel... as an FPS.
    Terrible reasons from my old fan perspective, nothing personal. Disapoint me once and i don't give the company to try it twice.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Such terrible reasons are not reasons, they are excuses.
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    It seemed natural that BG3 would deal with a world changed by the time of troubles? BG is all about the "Time of Troubles" and how it changed Forgotten Realms. I hope the plot is just as clever as the other games and incorporates some modern gaming aspects into Role Playing experience we all enjoy. Lets all pretend that 3rd and 4th E. never happened.:)
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    Barring a significant divergence from the Forgotten Realms canon, I don't see how a Baldur's Gate 3 would really be possible.

If the PC became a god, I guess the first question would be whether he survived the Spellplague. There's also the fact that outside of the Immortals set and a couple other very old products, D&D has never really supported playing a deity.

Mucking things up more is the fact that in terms of Realms canon, the main character (in this case, Abdel Adrian) recently got featured in the Murder in Baldur's Gate module, which in my opinion feels like a kick to the nads because, without going into spoilers, it renders the main goal of the saga pointless. Regardless, that is now out and it's the first module targeted at the new 5th edition Realms, so it's pretty firmly in continuity.

Maybe WotC has changed a bit, but my understanding is that they don't like computer games that muck around with the continuity of their settings. A Baldur's Gate 3 would probably have to change some significant details about how the Spellplague turned out and would have to throw out Murder in Baldur's Gate entirely in order to work effectively.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Anduin said:

Oh, I think I've heard about this one. Doesn't the ending involve choosing 1 of 3 different plots of soil that change the way the acorn grows?
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited September 2013
    ...or it may build up from there. After all, Bhaalspawn saga != CHARNAME's story :)
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    What do you mean by Realms canon? I would assume that the CHARNAME is a retired NPC and would old be mentioned in name only. I do not want Abdel Adrian even mentioned once in my game. Not a fan of the books. AD&D has always retired god-like characters. I would hope that BG3 uses AD&D rules. I would also hope that everything that happened in 3rd and 4th edition are ignored. I would like too see cities like Water Deep, Shadow Dale, and other place I read about in the novels, to be in BG3. How many people are fans of BG serious and fans of anything after AD&D. 3rd edition and beyond are too similar to WoW, LOTR, etc. IMHO. I would like the series to stay true to it AD&D Forgotten Realm roots. If it doesn't, then what gonna be special about it? BTW I'm not interested in Murder in Baldur's Gate. I'm not a fan every product with the D&D label. Only the real awesome games that I spent years playing.
    edited September 2013
    @chbrooks, there are lots of divine magic in D&D (really divine) and divine epic stats. There are tables that control the number of avatars a deity can have based on her power, divine ranks, characteristics, immunities, spell like abilities and a lot of other features.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Divine_Ranks

So in fact there is material to use into an divine adventure, the question is that really it was never done before, will Beamdog have the guts and skill to make it epic? That's something to be seen yet.

This sole link already gave me thousands of ideas for a divine adventure!
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    The only way I can see BG3 working is if you don't play CHARNAME again.
    IkMarc said:

We need a prequel in the Time of Troubles. Imagine epic battles with the gods, the story of Gorion and the harpers, the sect of Bhaal and the birth of CHARNAME and Sarevok.

Ok, *that* would actually make sense with the label. Gorion might even be a good protagonist for the series! Always felt he got too little attention...
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2013
    well to me for BG3 to be worth while they would need to make it linked to the origional saga. That said it would also need a new character otherwise it would be very hard to make the game work because you'd be way to powerful and there would be far to many variables for them to import and contend with. Returning characters would also be essential not as joinable NPCs but certainly to some capacaity
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I like the idea of a prequel. It deals with the canon issues, and would give us more details on existing characters. I rather be in a party watching how Gorion dealt with Khalid, rather than watch Jaheira follow CHARNAME's godly-self. You lose characters like Imoen but I won't miss having her following me around or having to chase her down in a new game. I definitely would like to see a prequel over some deity game that doesn't feel like a Baldur's Gate title.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    It may have to be set hundreds of years prior or post the events of 1&2. The real relation to the previous games would only have to be the city and region IMO. Bhaalspawn(s) don't have to be the major plot, different forces could be at play for a more original tale.
    edited September 2013
    @CoryNewb: same problem as the other ideas, it would have the BG name just for marketing purposes, not because it genuinely has anything to do with the series.

I really like prequel-idea. Several plots to weave in, even Firkraag! Sounds like fun.
  • This would not be Baldur's Gate at all.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330

@CoryNewb: same problem as the other ideas, it would have the BG name just for marketing purposes, not because it genuinely has anything to do with the series.

I really like prequel-idea. Several plots to weave in, even Firkraag! Sounds like fun.

Maybe, but I don't think the overhaul would have the desire to touch such a sacred story. And they may not be able to do it for contractual reasons. Sometimes the best thing is to move in a new direction, for the sake of creativity.

Plus, if they did do a direct sequel or prequel, they would have the bar set so enormously high that fanboys would never give it the credit it deserved...because....nostalgia is a bugger.
    Well, one can dream... I personally doubt it's going to happen, too, but hey who knows.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Tom the Dryad will venture south!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I've said it before. Here is what I would like to see happen.

You start out as a level 1 character. As you move out into the world, you start hearing rumors about "What ever happened to the Bhaalspawn". You explore further into it and start uncovering interesting things like Saravok and Irenicus. Only someone is stirring the pot again.

It could go on from that perspective, possibly making you a descendant of the original Charname, possibly in the same way that Charname was a descendant of Bhaal. Or you might end up fighting Bhaalspawn that never got nicked in the original series. Or maybe you got deposed as a God and got sent back as a level 1 and have to fight your way back? That is the theory that I like the best.

I personally think that any story line attempting to push your original character beyond level 40 would not be D&D. It might be fun and all, but it wouldn't feel the same game in my estimation.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    CoryNewb said:

It may have to be set hundreds of years prior or post the events of 1&2. The real relation to the previous games would only have to be the city and region IMO. Bhaalspawn(s) don't have to be the major plot, different forces could be at play for a more original tale.

so, we would get another Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance?

Honestly, I don't care if they destroy my levels for entertainment. Besides, sometimes I have a character that I want to roleplay further and bring them to an entirely new series just because Baldur's Gate only goes so far. Wherever I take them they are level 1 all over again
  • phase_nzphase_nz Member Posts: 12
    Why cant BG3 be a direct sequel? Godhood is based on followers I would imagine a young god's powers are no more powerful than a greater demon? The devs could expand on building and expanding the bhaalspawn pocket plane the ultimate stronghold simulater.

And we know a showdown with Cyric would be epic....maybe with a god killing sword that he has a past
    with? maybe tie the conflict to the spellplague? And how bout companions that are equal in power and ability Elminster,khelben blacstaff etc.

How about a visit to Waterdeep? There is so much more to expanding this story arc than a prequel or new
    story all together.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd also think (since this has turned into another thread about what people want in BG3) that it would be refreshing to have such a game continue the story from ToB and deal with a character who is a god (or an exceptionally powerful mortal who declined godhood). Imo it would be a much more innovative take on D&D at this point than yet another game where you start at level 1, roam the countryside killing goblins and gnolls and have random cameos of characters from the first two games.