Skip to content

[Request] Allow AI to open doors.

HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
Hey everyone,

I know there has already been a request for better AI, but I thought I would deal with this problem specifically.

In some fights it's possible to exploit the AI by entering a room and then closing the door. In many cases the AI then can't/won't open the door.

This allows considerable room for exploitation (I remember killing mind-flayers in Bg2 this way), when really there's no reason why the AI shouldn't be able to open doors and pursue the party into the room beyond.

I think it would add considerably to the immersion and quality of the game if the AI would open doors.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I always gave praise to the fact monsters can't open doors. That saved my life a lot of times XD!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @aVENGER

Unfortunately, Beamdog cannot employ the same code/solution unless they have your written permission. Everything that ends up in the game will be intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast so the devs will never re-use the same code as found in any mod without explicit written consent of all modders involved.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    @AndreaColombo

I'd be happy to hand over my code, if the developers are interested.
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    It's not like there are alternate ways to write that code. If they ask permission for anything, it's surely out of courtesy than legal necessity.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Tanthalas: Lol!

@aVENGER: That's very noble of you sir.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @HeroicSpur

Great suggestion. Humanoids should definitely be able to open doors.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited June 2012
    @HeroicSpur I think it's a good idea, but with the caveat that you should be able to lock a door using either the specific key for that door or a thief's lockpick ability. Desperately trying to barricade yourself into a room while the monsters whose strength you misjudged are on your tail is pretty fun...
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @HeroicSpur

Good suggestion, I hope this gets fixed. Enemies being unable to open doors is just excessively easy to exploit (as well as being quite unrealistic).
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    I know it's a little unrealistic but I certanly like that when I close a door it stays that way (and the horde does not follow) :) And when I say doors I include Loading doors/Changing area.
    Post edited by Razor on
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Maybe we'll add this for the higher difficulty levels.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Or it could be a gameplay option checkbox: Cheese (Y/N)
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    ''Cheese (Y/N) ''

LOL
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @HeroicSpur I think it's a good idea, but with the caveat that you should be able to lock a door using either the specific key for that door or a thief's lockpick ability. Desperately trying to barricade yourself into a room while the monsters whose strength you misjudged are on your tail is pretty fun...
    Sounds like a classic movie zombie survival situation there with the locked door and the horde trying to break it down.

• GrungeChlapecGrungeChlapec Member Posts: 12
    @smeagolheart Nice one :D Walking dead rullez :D
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Even if you lock the door the mob should have a check to see if they can bash the lock, just like PCs can.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @aVENGER I really like that INT check. Also I've got this image in my head of a really smart mage putting the party to sleep and then leaving.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited June 2012
    Posted code may occasionally open locked quest doors and thus break something. The chance is very slim, but it is there.

A flawless solution is to ignore unlocked closed doors in the pathfinding code, but I suspect is not very possible.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    edited June 2012
    Posted code may occasionally open locked quest doors and thus break something.
    From my testing, NearestDoor() already auto-skips locked doors, so they will never be opened by the script I posted. Maybe one of the BGEE developers can confirm this.

Post edited by AlexT on
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @Communard idea with thief is really awesome! It would definitely makes more players to include thieves into their party to be able to lock the doors.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

From my testing, NearestDoor() already auto-skips locked doors, so they will never be opened by the script I posted. Maybe one of the BGEE developers can confirm this.
    I didn't know that.

I would still keep it optional though, since a percentage of players may be too fond of hiding from monsters this way.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Just my .02: I'm fine either way, though I would like it better if this was made standard rather than optional. It just makes plain sense for the AI to be able to open doors, and God knows if Baldur's Gate's AI needs some improvement to become challenging. There are parts of the game that constitute a challenge just because the AI cheats or the enemy is given illicit bonuses and resistances/immunities. If you're doing so bad you need to hide from Orcs behind a door, either cheat or reload.

Then again, as I said, I won't cry if this is made optional: I'll just turn it on for my own games :-)
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Something else just occured to me about doors. There are certain abilities which work well in conjunction with closed doors, in particular the glyph of warding. When I use that spell I tend to chuck it into the middle of the enemy and watch it explode. To plant one on a door instead, with the knowledge that the ai will pursue and open it, opens a much greater array of tactical opportunity for that, and other spells.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I can say that this request is an epic win. I just want to note that not any creature is intelligent enough to open doors. I cannot imagine doing so by spiders, for example.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    As long as certain monsters can be flagged as not intelligent enough to open doors, I'm all for it.

How about we allow the PC to re-lock doors, while we're at it--it just uses up a fair amount of game-time? While closing doors that monsters can't re-open is cheap and easily abused, I can see working the locking of a door into the overall strategy of a battle, sacrificing one of the thieves to frantically lock it in time.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Generally a smarter AI much enhances the tensions ans thus the entire gameplay experience.
    I replayed a tweaked BG with the Sword Coast Statagems, and the experience of fighting smart opponnents who cast the right spells in the right situation was marvelous!
    @Coriander @PhillipDaigle
    May we hope that this great feature has been already implemented?
    Anton said:

@Coriander @PhillipDaigle
    May we hope that this great feature has been already implemented?

Any news on implementation status? @AndreaColombo @aVENGER
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Hot damn, community's elite modders are here to fulfill all our wildest Infinity Engine dreams