Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Moar weapon slots!

MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
So, my brother and I were hoping to start an Icewind Dale multiplayer game, with each of us taking only one character and not using the pause button at all. He is planning a Ranger/Cleric, while I thought I'd roll a Fighter/Mage/Thief.

I got a great stat roll and started out my character, eager to begin the multiplayer game... when I realized that apparently F/M/Ts in IWD only get ONE weapon slot! I had previously rolled one in BG and enjoyed two slots, which let me go swords or bows as needed.

Since we're trying to play a no-pause game, and since there's no weapon specialty in IWD for me to sink proficiency points, I'm going to have to bail on this character unless there's a way to equip two weapons at once in the Icewind Dale engine.

Anyone have any ideas, such as a mod that lets me use the BG engine in IWD, or an editing program? Help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It's because of your class, you have too many options (casting, thieving, fighting) to fit on a quickbar so they axed one weapon slot.
    Changing engines or editing stuff won't make a difference.

Also, a no-pause game will be very difficult, regardless of how easy you can equip different weapons :-p
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I know why my weapon slots are reduced. I'm looking for a way to circumvent that. The BG version of FMT gets two slots, so I want the same for IWD.

I'm perfectly comfortable playing no-pause when I'm only controlling one character, so that's hardly an issue.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    bg 1 had the same problem, and its because of the "defend" icon is hard coded for F2 i believe, and then when the SoA engine came out, they took out defend so that every class could have 2 slots ( originally, mages in bg1 before the expasion also had just one slot) now if you install HoW with icewind dale you might luck out and it might give you 2, if not, then you are probally hooped, or if you're lucky, dale keeper might be able to force it in for you, but im not sure
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    IWD-in-BG2 let's you play IWD in the BG2 engine. It's still technically a beta, though pretty stable and playable at this point. However, we've had no testing for MP at all.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @CamDawg Thanks! I'll definitely give that a shot. I'm a bit worried about how it'll work in MP, but I'll eagerly try it out.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited September 2013
    @CamDawg - Just started a solo run of IWD. Got to Kuldahar and then spotted this. Installing now, it sounds really cool. It'll really breath new life into IWD, I had forgotten there were no such things as weapon styles in IWD.

Also the single quick weapon slot available for a F/M/T was killing me...

Quick question, I installed the new Fix pack but noticed there was no Bag of Holding install option as there was on the normal IWD fix pack. Is there a way I can patch this in?

[EDIT] Ignore that. I used my brain and used Shadowkeeper...
    Post edited by moody_mage on
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    The BG2 mod Neverending Journey let's you pretty much play Icewind Dale in BG2. That might be worth a shot if Camdawg's suggestion doesn't pan out.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    decado said:

@CamDawg - Just started a solo run of IWD. Got to Kuldahar and then spotted this. Installing now, it sounds really cool. It'll really breath new life into IWD, I had forgotten there were no such things as weapon styles in IWD.

Also the single quick weapon slot available for a F/M/T was killing me...

Quick question, I installed the new Fix pack but noticed there was no Bag of Holding install option as there was on the normal IWD fix pack. Is there a way I can patch this in?

[EDIT] Ignore that. I used my brain and used Shadowkeeper...

IWD Tweaks has a component to add some bags. The Fixpack is meant to just be fixes.
    edited September 2013
    So IWD tweaks can also be used with IWD-Tutu. Cool, wasn't sure if it was compatible.

I somehow broke the widescreen mod, it was working then I stupidly tried to update the Fixpak whilst the game was running and it all went badly wrong. May need to reinstall everything.

I was having issues with the Weapon Proficiencies and Weapon Styles. I chose the BG2 Style with Weapon Styles with the intention of starting a new game. However it then spewed reams of error and failure messages, the end result being that it kept the IWD style proficiencies *with* weapon styles, however there were lots a 'Unidentified' spots in the weapon proficiency list. I guess where it had tried to add in BG2 options but failed.
    @CamDawg
    So re-installed, all of the above is now fixed. However it started my character off with 89K XP and Bhaalspawn abilities. Any clues?

Also the Bag of Holding fix wouldn't work as it didn't recognise HoW as being installed (even though it clearly is). There were also several issues when trying to install anything which deal with tweaking magic (spell progression, save penalties from high level casters, loosing cleric weapon restrictions etc...)

I've Shadowkeepered by character back to level 1 and allocated him a bag of holding so no worries there.
    Ah, I think it's dead. AOE spells do nothing and Lysan refuses to trigger (I've definitely agreed to kill her and she is gone from the inn, yet not in her cave).

Shame, I was really quite enjoying the solo run.