Skip to content

Scariest moments

Based on this thread by @rdarken

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21038/what-enemy-scares-you-the-most/p1

Instead of enemies, which moments in BG or BG2 were the most impressively scary for you?
The ogre mage's "art room" in cloakwood? A section of Durlag's tower? Kangaxx's speech during the fight? The dreams or trials? Demogorgon's chains laying on the floor?

Elaborate on why they disturb you.

For me it's probably [spoiler] centeol. My first time in cloak wood I ran in that building to escape spiders and drink some antidotes, but I ended up with a depressing nightmare-story/ ambush [\spoiler]

Comments

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    edited September 2013
    Oh wow, I inspired a thread! /blush

I think for me it would be that lich in the Docks district. My first BG2 run, I was picking all the locks I could find for the exp and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down. Guess that was karma.

Oh or that guy at the end of BG2 who is really a Doppelganger. Didn't foresee that.

Irenicus' dungeon is creepy, too. Now it's just annoying, though, after so many runs.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Shin said:

For me it's definitely the second floor of Durlag's tower...

That is the floor with the blood-filled goblet engraved with "taste my fear." freaking horrifying. Imagine finding that in your basement.
  • SearonixSearonix Member Posts: 15
    For me it was the first time going to the Windspear dungeon. "Wow this is a pretty cool dungeon...Well I killed Tazok, now to find that Firkraag guy and finish this quest...holy shit, what is this?!"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Isn't there a guy in a jail cell that you can free, but he turns out to be a doppelganger? Or is that BG2? I can't remember...
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    That's early BG2.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2013
    Neb.

Also, I think the beginning of the "Evil in Umar Hills" quest is quite spooky as well. It always rains when I arrive there.
    rdarken said:

Isn't there a guy in a jail cell that you can free, but he turns out to be a doppelganger? Or is that BG2? I can't remember...

I'm pretty sure it's in Cloakwood Mines.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2013
    Pretty much everything on this map creeped me out the first time I played:

image{/spoiler]

The sound these critters make still makes my blood run cold:

[spoiler]image

edited September 2013
    Oh, it could be BG2. Well, scratch that one. Still, doppelgangers are scary.

Know what else?
    The part of BG when you get framed and everyone wants to murder you is pretty nerve-wracking.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Oh yeah, especially the frozen bear. I had no clue what was going on until it was too late. Definitely creepy.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    All the vampires in BG2. Gave me lots of nightmares and dreams of frantically trying to secure my home while searching for Daystar and maybe the helmet too.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    To me, in BG? None, it's not a game to make people get scared, that's another game type. Let the enjoy of a nice roleplay be the reward to baldur's gate and let the scares left to Amnesia and Outlast :)!
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Landrin's house. spiders. cloakwood. more spiders. i. hate. spiders. -.-

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    These days it's all too familiar, and I don't scare as easily as I did when the game first came out (funny how 15 years will do that). But I agree that there's a certain terror to the second level of Durlag's Tower. It's not scary in the way most modern horror is scary. It's scary in the way that HP Lovecraft is scary. Something is just deeply wrong about the world, and yes it's probably going to kill you, but you just know by the time that happens it'll be a relief.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    [spoiler] THAT F***ING CRUSHER WALL IN DURLAG'S TOWER. I see you have an almighty power gaming party here...aaaaaaand its gone. Scared the crap outta me.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    The way the scenario music fits with the environment. Especially the first time you enter new areas. My bf made comments about the music the other day finding it spooky. Sigh I will never convince him to play bg....
  • NerdiGamingNerdiGaming Member Posts: 8
    Lightning. Scares me every damn time.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

Yeah. Imoen just got scortched during the second encounter with Dorn.
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    Yes. Fireballs and Lightning that go to the back of my party. That is truly worrisome. ._.

Or lightning in narrow corridors.. Penta kill. :b
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I remember thinking in Chapter 2 of my first playthrough (back in high school) that Journey to the Windspear Hills would be a great way to get most of the money I needed for Gaelan Bayle. The whole quest was just one nightmare after another, finally ending in a 5-man flambé, Minsc running away in uncontrolled terror, and me swearing enough to get grounded.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Wilbur said:

Yeah. Imoen just got scortched during the second encounter with Dorn.
    And this was actually a lightning storm. No magic was used in the battle.