Skip to content

When is the next patch coming out?

13»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Streamhopper, your tolerance for mistakes would slay a deity.
    WiggleselminsterMoira
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Dee said:

Streamhopper, your tolerance for mistakes would slay a deity.

I guess you could say he slew the Lord of Murder? o.O

<.<

>.>
    elminsterSCARY_WIZARD
  • StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2013
    True, and props to both Dee and Wiggles cause that actually made me smile.

On the patch topic, I've already made my opinion clear. I really cant see the merit of not making deadlines.

I admit that I was one of the people at the time that was pushing for a concrete date. I was actually very happy with "early to mid" and expected it would be mid. If it then would have been early, I would have been very pleasantly surprised and vocal about it. Now, it's just back to where we were before.
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    And where we were before was "it will be ready when its done" without any sort of timeline?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Technically, where we were before was "It'll be ready in a month early May when it's ready."
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    any news? :(
  • XereckXereck Member Posts: 30
    A patch is never late nor too early, it arrives precisely when it means to :)
    PugPugWiggles
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    thank you for your wise words, Gandalf, but I'm a very impatient hobbit
    PugPugWiggles
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    I believe @Dee stated in the Ask us anything-thread that they would try to give us a heads up about a week before the open beta starts. In other words, the open beta is more than a week away.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    What's the open beta for? Or, in other words, what are we waiting for in the next patch? (I know, I'm so out of the loop.)
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    The next patch includes several major updates (multiplayer and rendering, if I remember correctly). An open beta allows this to be tested on multitudes of different hardware-setups.
    Moira
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Oh, neat. I was looking forward to an UI update, I believe I read about such somewhere.
    We've done some touching up to the UI as well, yes. Turning off the UI Scaling is a much friendlier experience now (and we're doing some polishing there as well, to make sure it works the way we want it to).
    MoirawojtekForse
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Dee said:

@PugPug
    I do that every Halloween.

I should do that, too!
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

Dee said:

@PugPug
    I do that every Halloween.

I should do that, too!
    I can't shake the feeling he dodged the question, though... hmm...
  • fmasterfmaster Member Posts: 3
    I still remember when the internet was an expensive place to go to, and patches would take a long time to download... At least now they are for free!
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    Dee said:

... Turning off the UI Scaling ...

What is UI scaling? :)

In the current version of the game, the UI elements are scaled to use the same aspect ratio on your monitor. That's why, for instance, the UI looks a bit blurry if your monitor has a high resolution.

Turning that scaling off allows the UI elements to be displayed at their natural resolution--but in the current version of the game, it causes a lot of other wonkiness. The patch introduces some things that make it work better, and we're even including the "Scale UI" option in the Graphics Options screen now that we're satisfied it doesn't look like...well...

Like something that Winthrop's inn isn't as clean as, if you catch my meaning.
    WigglesalnairMoiraPugPug
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    Seaker42 said:

As someone that's been in software dev for a couple decades in small to medium companies (dev group sizes of 2 to 50), I completely understand the dilemma Dee is facing. Many people want to get changes quickly, with no bugs, and on the exact date that was advertised. Unfortunately, development doesn't work that way.

All software products of any size have bugs, and when you're working with a large code base (like I assume BGEE is), it can be very difficult to accurately estimate how much time is required to fix a certain bug - if it can even be safely fixed. This can often make it very difficult to meet specific release dates, and accurately say what changes will be in the next release.

I think it's great that so many people are enthusiastic about the game and are eagerly awaiting the next patch. But, also I think many on these boards need to back off a bit and let them go through their internal processes to ensure the release meets their quality standards.

Also, I've seen companies that allowed the community to push them to get releases out faster than they wanted to...and it rarely ends well for the company or the community. (yes, I was with one of those companies - and we paid for one of those rushed releases for several years)

True enough. Not everything can be fixed over night guys. Give it some time and let these guys do there jobs.... there working with us not against us.

alnair
  • KalenvexKalenvex Member Posts: 6
    I've been playing Baldur's Gate since the original six disk version. So new content aside, it's still Baldur's Gate and I don't mind waiting, I've been there and done that with this game so many times it's ridiculous. I personally believe the anger/passion/frustration/patience/impatience your seeing in this discussion is stemming from a simple problem. The people don't mind waiting, if they did they would have sent you a picture of a giant hand with a single finger extended... or simply demanded a refund. :) The problem from what I can gather here is that people expect those they are paying and or have paid to be where they say their going to be, when they say they're going to be there, and to do what they say they're going to do, when they say they're going to do it. Simply put, if it was one person saying something to another and then not holding up their end of the commitment, that person would be a LIAR and not worthy of trust. But apparently when it's a group of people that aren't where they say they're going to be, or doing what they said they were going to do it's something different. Now don't get me wrong, I understand occasional screw ups due to extenuating circumstances, but let's just cut the BS for a minute and ask a simple question... which list is longer? The list of things they did when they said they were going to do them? Or the list of things that they did not do when they said they were going to do them. As someone said earlier, if this was a single person in the workplace they would have been s**t canned long ago. So we can dance around the truth until the patch is released, or we can call a spade a spade and move on. You guys have essentially pissed on our heads and told us it's raining over and over again. You seem to feel the myriad of excuses offered and the promise of eventual results is enough, but I get the feeling there are some that would cut and run on you guys if they hadn't already sunk their money in. Having said all that I feel satisfied that I have summed this up at least to my liking and want you to know I'm not mad at you guys, I'm just tired of the s**t heap your trying to pass off as chocolate pudding. Love you guys, just not how you do things sometimes.
    @Kalenvex
    You may want to take a look at this forum: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/the-road-to-v1-2

I won't address your points, because you may find that they're no longer relevant.
  • KalenvexKalenvex Member Posts: 6
    Point taken, I see my information was out of date though I must insist a good portion of my post is still quite relevant, perhaps the relevant points are not in the right discussion since this one seems to have come to an end. The beta is up and running and I'm quite happy to hear that. But that doesn't mean that a good portion of my statements are not true or relevant, though they are definitely biased with personal opinion. You guys really are always saying that we're almost there when we really just set off on the trip. However I do understand the constant "are we there yet" doesn't help. My statements about not doing what they say they're going to do when they say they're going to do it still apply to the android version that's a year late, and possibly to upcoming titles and updates to be announced/released. My rant was quite long winded and I apologize for that, I simply wanted to sum up the list of pushed back releases and false dates that have lead to the heated temperament as of late. I have stayed out of the discussions so far and simply come to the site to observe news, but after so long I had to put my two cents in seeing as positive and negative feedback was encouraged. The positive is that you guys have taken an old game and breathed new life into it. The negative is that there seems to be no end in sight for the resurrection of this epic RPG series. As before I love what you guys are doing...etc. :)