Skip to content

[Bug] Not enough display slots for all the Known spells

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
edited February 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Observed behaviour: when a character learns all 25 level 3 spells, only the first 24 are displayed as Known spells. The last 1 isn't shown and therefore isn't available for memorisation. (I found this with a Bard, but I assume it'll be the same for a Mage since their spell-system is identical).

Expected behaviour: every spell Known should be available for memorisation - that's the whole point of learning spells! (This may necessitate some re-design of the way Known spells are displayed, currently 2 pages each showing 3 rows of 4 spells ... but so be it, that format isn't capable of displaying all that needs to be displayed in some cases, so it's not fit for purpose. I suggest adding a fourth row.)

Comment: this is an especially annoying bug for a Bard, who is meant to be capable of some physical combat when necessary - the level 3 spell "lost" by this bug is the alphabetically-last one, Wraithform, which is the ideal defensive buff for a Bard going into physical combat! It'd be a particularly crippling loss for a Blade, since he's a Bard particularly intended for physical combat who would therefore probably want that spell often!

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited February 2013
    Until a complete gui overhaul, i suggest you forget/delete the least useful spell.
    Wraithform is a new spell, i wouldn't call missing it a crippling loss :D
    Think about the less fortunate who bought the GoG version!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Wow, I didn't think it'd be quite that difficult to fix, @Avenger_teambg! There's already room on the Known spells pages for a fourth row without changing the page layout of the gui, even though the fourth row is left blank at the moment. I therefore thought it might be fixable by just changing a couple of list-display parameters.

Yes, erasing some other spell to make room for Wraithform on the Known page is a workaround. I've just tested this, and it works even after you've already learnt all 25 spells - the game doesn't forget that you've learnt the missing spell, so it does become selectable for memorisation if you erase one of the other spells. Nevertheless, you're allowed to learn all 25, so you ought to be able to use them all rather than having to erase one to fit the list! But I agree that this isn't the most desperately urgent problem.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I agree, and it will likely be fixed, but this isn't a priority (because it is easily worked around).
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Thank you to whichever moderator keeps moving my posts into the right section! I keep searching for similar posts, but I can never seem to find them.

You all remember how the developers re-added that infamously cut spell "Wraithform" don't you? Yeah, I remember that. It's actually a pretty good spell for it's level! Much better than Protection From Normal Weapons on a Fighter/Mage. There's just one teeny weeny, itsy bitsy problem they didn't consider... The game is actually LIMITED to 24 spells per spell level. We already had 24 level 3 spells in Baldur's Gate 2. So what do you think happens when you try to write 25 spells into your spellbook? Let's take a look shall we.

Screenshot 1:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here's my spellbook. As you can see, I have every level 3 spell memorized except for Clairvoyance (which would show up 1st on the list). And Wraithform is at the end of the list. Now let's see what happens when I try to write Clairvoyance from a scroll...

Screenshot 2:

UH-OH! It looks like Wraithform got bumped off the page since it was positioned last. And I can no longer memorize it at all! Gee, maybe they should have, you know... added a scrolling button? Or better yet, extended the limit up to 28 spells in that unused space below? That would have been simple enough. So now what happens when I erase a spell? Let's say the 2nd spell on the list, Detect Illusion.

Screenshot 3:

Surprise, Wraithform came back! And now I can use it again. You saw that right, folks. You can only use 24 spells and there are 25 spells to learn. Wow... I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to drop Clairvoyance for now (Farsight is way better anyways).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Thank you to whichever moderator keeps moving my posts into the right section! I keep searching for similar posts, but I can never seem to find them.

Probably Jalily.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Anyhow the same thing happens in the sorcerer spell selection screen when they first reach level 3 spells. Wraithform cannot be selected because of the GUI limits.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Tresset said:

Probably Jalily.
    Ding ding ding! You get an Insightful for guessing right. :)
  • HelvenHelven Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    My momma always told me "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all!", so I won't say anything...

I guess me saying that I'm not going to say anything *IS* in fact me saying something though...... hmmm Cunundrum. . .

:)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    This issue should be solved especially for mods.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hahaha, I started a thread like this 2 or 3 weeks ago saying the same thing, if they don't feel like fixing the GUI then why not just take out wraith form then? it wasn't in bg2 and sorcerer's cant learn it, it can be a great spell, but I have played without it for years and im still doing allright :)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @sarevok57: I suspect that Overhaul were concerned to tweak the game balance for a couple of classes which got a slightly raw deal in the original games. In particular, Bards never had anything ideal to wear in original BG1 so they introduced the Elven Chain Mail in BGee, and I reckon the Wraithform spell is also mainly intended to make Bards (and especially the Blade kit) a more attractive option. Sure, we can live without Wraithform as we used to, but it used to be a PITA to play a combat-orientated Bard, whereas now it's more viable. Thus I reckon it's one of the genuine Enhancements in the Enhanced Edition.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Gallowglass ah I sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, I remember one time I played a bard in vanilla and if im not mistaken I had -9 AC but I can bet he still wasn't a heavy hitter ( well maybe he was with 19 str, twinkle and mitties of weapon specialization )