Skip to content

familiar bonus HP upon exporting

MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
Bug i've encountered on vanilla BG2 (no mod whatsoever, haven't found it on the forums so it might not be an issue anymore. Still... better safe then sorry)

Current behavior : upon exporting a mage character with familiar, you keep the extra life but the game doesn't remember you have casted the find familiar spell. Thus, in a new game if you are the main player, you can gain additional HP again, and again.

Expected behavior : I propose two solutions
1) upon exporting, the game should remember whether the mage had a familiar, or not. If the answer is yes, the next time he summons one it in another game, there will be no additional HP.
2) upon exporting, if the mage have a familiar, export the HP minus the familiar gain. (seems more easy to me)
Post edited by Balquo on
Daedalus87mHvitrEbrithilGriegSethDavis

Comments

• AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    Hm, never noticed that. Interesting. A friend of mine will love to know this (recently began trying BGTutu, but feels like his PC -- a mage -- dies way too easily).
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    This is not a bug, but a great way to fortify your puny hitpoints pool, especially if you are a puny mage. You don't like, you not use. Whatever is NOT broken, should stay as is.
    CrevsDaak
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2013
    Umm, yeah it's pretty clearly a bug. Also, regarding the whole 'You don't like, you not use'' bit: for someone importing a character with a familiar from BG1 to BG2 (or someone who just wants to do another playthrough of BG2 with the same character), this bug will be unavoidable.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    alnairsarevok57SethDavis
    TJ_Hooker said:

Umm, yeah it's pretty clearly a bug. Also, regarding the whole 'You don't like, you not use'' bit: for someone importing a character with a familiar from BG1 to BG2 (or someone who just wants to do another playthrough of BG2 with the same character), this bug will be unavoidable.

Bonuses and boosts are nice augmentations. Who wouldn't like a free gift of 12 Hitpoints? This is neither game making nor game breaking. Yes, you can avoid it if you want to. By not finishing the game with familiar inside bag! Park it into a corner or something, somewhere it cannot be killed!
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Exactly. This is something you will most likely use ACCIDENTALLY. If you want to cheat then it is obnoxious and silly to abuse import/export mechanics when you can just save edit using shadowkeeper or use the console to award yourself whatever. (which I have personally done when I felt it appropriate)
    alnair
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @DeathKnight could you explain further how this bug can be avoided? I don't really understand what you meant in your last post. I should probably mention that I have no personal experience with this bug, so I'm going off what was said in Medillen's post, so if there are important details that he didn't mention please let me know.
    edited September 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

@DeathKnight could you explain further how this bug can be avoided? I don't really understand what you meant in your last post. I should probably mention that I have no personal experience with this bug, so I'm going off what was said in Medillen's post, so if there are important details that he didn't mention please let me know.

If your character does not have the familiar inside inventory before export or save, which you are going to import to 2, then there is no exploit, nothing happens. Simply have it outside and take care not to be killed.

I like this trick. Used it 3-4 times on my main from previous playthrough. It really fortifies a weak player's Health Pool. Exploit or no exploit, many people like using such things. Best thing is not to cut if off, but those who do not like it avoid using (exploiting).