Skip to content

Boots of haste + Haste spell stack to form super haste

Casting haste on a person wearing boots of speed results in that character moving at 4x their normal speed (or so it seems).

Tested via 2 mages with haste prepared.
Mage A wears boots, and competes with Mage B, mage A runs faster (normal haste speed)
Mage B casts haste on self while mage A stands far away to not be affected, the two tie in terms of speed
Mage A then casts haste on himself and becomes speedy gonzales, just zipping across the map at amazing speeds.
Also, APR on my charname is 4 without boots, 4 with boots, and 5 with boots AND haste.

Can someone verify if this bug exists in vanilla? I have some mods installed

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    First of all I think the boots of speed messing up APR has been recorded before but it never hurts to bring up stuff just in case it was missed :)

To clarify...

APR on your character is 4 without boots with haste active, 4 with boots without haste, and 5 with boots and haste?
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013
    elminster said:

APR on your character is 4 without boots with haste active, 4 with boots without haste, and 5 with boots and haste?

4 with neither
    4 with boots
    5 with spell
    5 with spell + boots

Even if the APR thing has been recorded, has it been noticed that the actual movement speed boost stacks for boots + spell?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in vanilla bg1, the boots and haste did stack together, you only get extra attacks per round from the boots if your attack has a half ( 3/2, 5/2, 7/2,9/2) but this seems to be bugged in bgee because it doesn't round it up like it did in SoA, plus haste will give you an extra attack per round/ round up to your next attack, that is why you are getting a full extra attack with haste, and nothing with the booties
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    that's why everybody loves the boots of speed, cheesyness at its finest
    CrevsDaak
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    That's weird, I actually found the two cancelled each other out when I cast haste and forgot that I'd left the boots on Keldorn.
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2013
    for those interested, I modified the boots so that they are a cursed item now, and make the wearer immune to any kind of speed-up items/spells. This way the wearer is only granted double, not stacking, speed bonus. Just extract the .itm file and place it in your override folder
    Saradas said:

that's why everybody loves the boots of speed, cheesyness at its finest

I love boots of speed because it cuts down exploration time in half, I can just zip and zoom around the map. focusing on actually doing things

Also useful in combat to reach enemy wizard before he can cast protective spells and gank him quick
    CrevsDaak
    Saradas said:

for those interested, I modified the boots so that they are a cursed item now, and make the wearer immune to any kind of speed-up items/spells. This way the wearer is only granted double, not stacking, speed bonus. Just extract the .itm file and place it in your override folder

if they are cursed you can't take them off... would the druid stronghold quest where you are stripped naked to fight the dark druidess with nothing but a staff manage to remove the boots from you?

Also, what if you want to cast improved haste on someone?
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    This is not a bug. This is one very fine example, of why this particular item, boots of speed, is widely used and appreciated. Do not fix what is NOT broken!
    SpaceInvaderCrevsDaak
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    I would say : to see Yeslick with the boots of speed is already an hilarious little wonder.. but to see him with BoS + haste, is literaly exceptional... when you need your medecine, he comes quick.. what a good (registered) cleric as would say Neera!... :)
    CrevsDaak
    edited September 2013

This is not a bug. This is one very fine example, of why this particular item, boots of speed, is widely used and appreciated. Do not fix what is NOT broken!

this is most definitely a bug and it has the potential to be negative. I have charname wearing the boots so he can explore a map fast and close in on enemy casters fast. But I like having the option of equalizing everyone's speed by buffing the rest, allowing everyone to close in fast. This makes it difficult to do as I have to make charname run far away so he doesn't get hit by doublehaste. It also requires that I be perfectly aware of this bug (which explicitly goes against documentation), otherwise charname is the first in and thus gets ganged on by enemies instead of having them split their attacks between him and my other 2 tanks.

Furthermore it feels like cheating and cheating should be optional not forced on a player. Personally I am perfectly fine with some of the cheesier bugs, like this one, being made toggleable so you can choose to still use them if you want to.

Also, boots of speed are widely used and appreciated because they are awesome, not because a bug causes them to stack with the haste spell.
  • WateversWatevers Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    Dude, this isn't a bug. And to seal the deal: it works this way in BG1EE on patch 1.2, too. It's always worked this way in every version of both games.

This is the OP trolling because he doesn't like how the boots make your character run so fast. This goes even further in not making sense because 95% of the time, you're playing a single-player game. So there's nobody to cheat but yourself. If you don't like how easy it makes the game when you wear Boots of Speed + Haste, then here's a shocker: How about not wearing them?

Also, I have to LoL at the guy who actually modified and posted a file to change this. How soul-crushingly bored do you have to be to ruin the best boots in the game not only for yourself, but also for other people? One would think there are more important things for you to worry about than a pair of boots.
    inksaint
    Watevers said:

Dude, this isn't a bug. And to seal the deal: it works this way in BG1EE on patch 1.2, too. It's always worked this way in every version of both games.

1. How does it happening in BG1EE as well make it not a bug? A bug can happen in multiple versions of the game.
    2. Have you tested it in BG1?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    It's not a bug.
    CrevsDaak