Skip to content

My 2 cents on the BGEE dev team's achievements thus far and the criticism

I am recently seeing an emergence of criticism on BGEE, the dev team on this forum. I have thus far not reacted, but the arguments and the tone of the criticism, up to the point that I saw a dev member actually extensively apologizing to a unreasonably grumbling poster for being sarcastic makes me wish to offer a different perspective.

I think the team did a pretty good job for the Enhanced Edition, especially given the contractual limitations, limited budget and other constraints. People don't understand how difficult it is to begin a small startup, to get people to work together towards a common goal and to actually get things going and achieve something like this.

The things that @TrentOster has done for this revitalization of an old classic took more guts, commitment and passion than 99.99% of the people on this forum and in this world will ever put into something in their lives. Yes you all paid some bucks for the game and this is a commercial company, but Trent and the dev team are bringing us this out of love and dedication to the game and its fans, if they were trying to make some quick and good money they would in all likeliness be doing something else.

So there are some shortcomings, but for your 20 bucks just enjoy what you got up till now and show the team your support. In any case they are working on it now and more great things are coming which would never be delivered to us if it wasn't for a bunch of enthusiastic geeks who actually put this together.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    IkMarc said:

a unreasonably grumbling poster

@IkMarc

I disagree with you as I don't think my grumbling was unreasonable, but I agree with @Dee that I could have handled the situation in a better way by using PMs instead of posting directly in the board.
    IkMarc said:

I think the team did a pretty good job for the Enhanced Edition

I'm instead quite disappointed with the current state of BG:EE for several reasons I've already pointed out, more than once, in this board. I don't think it is necessary for me to repeat myself, but if you think otherwise let me know and I will be happy to explain again in detail my reasons.

For now it suffice to say that I believe that BG:EE has not been handled very well so far, but I see from the devs some positive signs and the genuine desire to do better in the future.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited September 2013
    Erg said:

I'm instead quite disappointed with the current state of BG:EE for several reasons I've already pointed out, more than once, in this board. I don't think it is necessary for me to repeat myself, but if you think otherwise let me know and I will be happy to explain again in detail my reasons.

For now it suffice to say that I believe that BG:EE has not been handled very well so far, but I see from the devs some positive signs and the genuine desire to do better in the future.

I am aware that BGEE is not perfect and has some issues. I am well aware that you can explain some details about it and that is exactly the point. If you step away from the details and look at the big picture than you may see that the enterprise these guys are undertaking is quite an amazing and rewarding thing which deserves the full support from you as a fan.
    edited September 2013
    IkMarc said:

I am aware that BGEE is not perfect and has some issues. I am well aware that you can explain some details about it and that is exactly the point. If you step away from the details and look at the big picture than you may see that the enterprise these guys are undertaking is quite an amazing and rewarding thing which deserves the full support from you as a fan.

@IkMarc

I see the big picture, but I see something completely different from what you see.

I see sadly a game that, despite his potential and all the enhancements, offers to me (at the moment) an overall experience that it is IMO inferior to what BGTutu offers, and by that I simply mean that I'm currently having much more fun playing BGTutu than BG:EE.

Granted, that is subjective, but I believe that the most important factor in evaluating a game should be the level of enjoyment that it offers.

If you are enjoying BG:EE I'm happy for you, I'm simply not enjoying it.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2013
    post heavily edited as I did not see the point of arguing needless to say I was not impressed with the tone of the op

on a side note and a more positive one Im pretty satisfied with the EE sure its probably missing some of the things I wanted most from the re release but overall im happy I think the teams done well and the openness of the team on the forum is a breath of fresh air considering the attitudes of a lot devlopers these days

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I just visited the rome total war 2 forums, its a slaughterhouse. Im glad most critique in this forum is civilized and (mostly) constructive.
    On a general note: has the game community gotten more picky lately? (Sorry if im derailing a bit here OP)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    The dota2 forums are vile. Diablo 3 for the most part are pretty bad as well.

Anyway, I can't praise BG:ee enough. Looking forward to BG!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Erg said:

I see sadly a game that, despite his potential and all the enhancements, offers to me (at the moment) an overall experience that it is IMO inferior to what BGTutu offers,

And this is why the posts criticising the game from posters such as yourself are unfair and unreasonable and shall ALWAYS remain so because the metric by which you are measuring the "quality" of BGEE is fundamentally flawed.

You aren't comparing BGEE to BGTuTu because if you were you would prefer BGEE because BGEE is TuTu fixed.

Claiming that that is what you are doing (others make similar claims to back up their "criticisms" of BGEE and then wonder why people say they are being unreasonable) is a bare faced lie. I don't even know you and I can say that thats a complete and total lie. Or at the very least you are seriously obfuscating the issue to both yourself and to us on the forums.

You are not comparing it to the experience that TuTu offers. You are comparing it to the experience TuTu offers when EXTENSIVELY MODDED with mods like SCS, BG Npc Project, NPC mods, the BG Tweak pack, Dark Side of the Sword Coast, and so on. And that is a fundamentally unfair metric to compare BGEE to; because a modded game is almost always going to be a Superior Experience FOR YOU because you mod it to play the way YOU want.
    It's kind of the point of modding.

As an example it would be like Bethesda releasing an HD version of Morrowind for modern systems on skyrim's new engine (thereby rendering the old mods unuseable without expensive tweaking at least), and me going and complaining the playing the original game offers a better experience because the Less Generic NPC Project was a thing, or because I could play with a mod that let me play as a new race or something.

And the moment you do something that, then from the very start you are being unfair and unreasonable and have expectations that the developers CAN NOT POSSIBLY live up to in any realistic way.
    I think you may be a bit overzealous here. @Erg has explained a couple of times that the reason he's playing BGTuTu is because the mods he uses haven't been updated to be compatible with BGEE.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2013
    @Dee

That was precisely my point.

He is comparing BGEE to BGTuTu because of TuTu's modding that makes it "superior" which I conceed it does, cos well why would you mod a game if it made the game less fun to play for you?

And when that is your starting point, it makes it a completely unfair and unreasonable metric to measure the quality of BGEE by.

It's essentially comparing apples and oranges.
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    IkMarc said:

I am recently seeing an emergence of criticism on BGEE, the dev team on this forum. I have thus far not reacted, but the arguments and the tone of the criticism, up to the point that I saw a dev member actually extensively apologizing to a unreasonably grumbling poster for being sarcastic makes me wish to offer a different perspective.

I think the team did a pretty good job for the Enhanced Edition, especially given the contractual limitations, limited budget and other constraints. People don't understand how difficult it is to begin a small startup, to get people to work together towards a common goal and to actually get things going and achieve something like this.

The things that @TrentOster has done for this revitalization of an old classic took more guts, commitment and passion than 99.99% of the people on this forum and in this world will ever put into something in their lives. Yes you all paid some bucks for the game and this is a commercial company, but Trent and the dev team are bringing us this out of love and dedication to the game and its fans, if they were trying to make some quick and good money they would in all likeliness be doing something else.

So there are some shortcomings, but for your 20 bucks just enjoy what you got up till now and show the team your support. In any case they are working on it now and more great things are coming which would never be delivered to us if it wasn't for a bunch of enthusiastic geeks who actually put this together.

I like what you're saying!

However, "99.99% of the people on this forum and in this world will ever put into something in their lives" you're just overstating that.
    edited September 2013

@Dee

That was precisely my point.

He is comparing BGEE to BGTuTu because of TuTu's modding that makes it "superior" which I conceed it does, cos well why would you mod a game if it made the game less fun to play for you?

And when that is your starting point it's a completely unfair and unreasonable metric to measure the quality of BGEE by.

BGEE has currently much more bugs than BGTutu and at least one of those is seriously affecting my enjoyment of the game, i.e. "the spawns disappearing on reload". It is the reason way I went back to Tutu in the first place: basically I went for the bugs, I stayed for the mods :)

Also, I'm not blaming the devs for everything. I know that updating mods is not their responsibility, but knowing that unfortunately is not affecting in the slightest my lack of enjoyment of the game.

Besides, the fact that most of the big names of the modding community are actively involved in developing BG:EE and BG2:EE is really good news for the enhanced edition, but at the same it may have a negative impact, at least on the short term, on the modding community itself, slowing down progress on mods both old and new.
    edited September 2013
    I apologize in advance for the double post, but what I'm going to say will not work IMO as edit of my previous one.

If @fitscotgaymer and others still think that I'm being unreasonable, I invite them to read the following discussion on the GOG Forums:

http://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/baldurs_gate_2_ee/page1

It is relevant and interesting IMO for the following reasons:

1) it shows what people with unreasonable complaints really look like
    2) it shows that the developers are aware and acknowledge the reasonable complaints
    3) @CamDawg is in it :)

I especially like this part
    CamDawg said:

There are many legitimate gripes to be had with EE. The price point is high for many; the fact that many mods haven't been ported to run on it is another; the fact that (even after they're ported) BG/BG2 + mods is already sufficient; BGEE is currently too buggy--these are all reasonable and legitimate criticisms, and there are even more arguments you can put forward why EE isn't worth it. I have no beef for anyone who prefers BG/BG2

but there are also reasons to praise the EE version, e.g.
    CamDawg said:

BGEE and BG2EE have BG2 Fixpack incorporated from the get-go, and thanks to source access EE also fixes many things that can't be fixed in BG2. The QA team has also spotted and fixed several bugs heretofore undetected, and these fixes will be coming to BG2 via BG2 Fixpack in future releases.

The upshot of all this is that the mere existence of BGEE and BG2EE will improve your BG2 experience, even if you never support it.

My own 2 cents:

There are several good reasons to like (pro) or not (cons) BG:EE. It's up to every one of us to evaluate them and decide if the good outweights the bad or viceversa. I personally believe that, at least for now, the bad outweights the good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong with me or my reasoning.
    Post edited by Erg on

I like what you're saying!

However, "99.99% of the people on this forum and in this world will ever put into something in their lives" you're just overstating that.

Leaving a cozy well paid career, starting a company for something with an unclear chance on success, taking risk of (personal) bankruptcy, motivating and getting together a team, aligning all the interests of different parties who are known to form obstacles, get through doing this despite all the contract limitations, arranging financing, controlling the project... all out of love for the game.

That takes some freaking severe commitment and audacity which I don't see often...
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    Erg said:

BGEE has currently much more bugs than BGTutu and at least one of those is seriously affecting my enjoyment of the game, i.e. "the spawns disappearing on reload". It is the reason way I went back to Tutu in the first place: basically I went for the bugs, I stayed for the mods :)

I never encountered this bug, nor any other bugs in BG:EE for that matter. I find it outright odd that people find this game so bug-ridden.

As I remember my tutu playthroughs, they were bugged with choice strings, and errors all over the place, possibly due to a myriad of mod on mod installing, that are as easy to get right, as french-kissing a cobra.

When I compare the two products - BG:EE wins by far on accessability and a bug free gaming experience.

But I guess it's maybe hardware related, or the fact that I simply don't see these bugs as bugs, thus they aren't interfering with my gaming experience.

I hope for you though, that these bugs gets sorted for you :) - cause I think it's a brilliant game, and it's a shame you can't enjoy it.
    edited September 2013
    killeah said:

But I guess it's maybe hardware related, or the fact that I simply don't see these bugs as bugs, thus they aren't interfering with my gaming experience.

@killeah

I agree on this.

Hardware:
    I may consider myself lucky in a sense because I'm playing on Windows and with an Nvidia video card. People with Intel graphics or some of those playing with the iPad have to deal with much worse bugs than mine.

Gaming Experience:
    Most bugs that others find annoying doesn't bother me and viceversa. That's way I'm focusing in my posts to the subjective nature of one's perception of his own gaming experience.

Edit:
    killeah said:

I never encountered this bug, nor any other bugs in BG:EE for that matter. I find it outright odd that people find this game so bug-ridden.

The bugs are there, the developers themselves are saying that the next patch alone should fix hundreds of them.

Edit2:
    killeah said:

I never encountered this bug

The official bug report for "the spawns disappearing on reload" is here.

The TL;NR version of it is that after an initial attempt to deny that this was a bug in the first place, there was confirmation from beta testers that indeed it was one and that it was worked on and that it should be fixed by the coming patch.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    IkMarc said:

The things that @TrentOster has done for this revitalization of an old classic took more guts, commitment and passion than 99.99% of the people on this forum and in this world will ever put into something in their lives.

If you want just to insult some people, trash, then do so directly, will you?
    edited September 2013
    CamDawg said:

it's worth noting that two of those are actively being addressed. BG:EE is already a great product; mods being ported and patches being released are just going to continue making it better.

I never doubted that :)

My only beef is with the current status of BG:EE. As I have already said elsewhere, I will keep playing exclusively BGTutu, until the bugs I find most annoying are fixed and all my favourite mods are ported. After that I will be happy to switch permanently to BG:EE and maybe even praise it :)
    edited September 2013

IkMarc said:

The things that @TrentOster has done for this revitalization of an old classic took more guts, commitment and passion than 99.99% of the people on this forum and in this world will ever put into something in their lives.

How is this insulting some people? The things these guys who started BGEE are undertaking is more than I ever did in my life and I'd say that counts for most people... Just saying we should appreciate that and give them our support..
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @CamDawg

Yeah I participated in a similar thread and tried to be as reasonable as possible, but I gave up when it was clear that some people were totally set in their ways and you can't debate somebody who won't listen.

I didn't notice you were in the GoG forum though!
    edited September 2013
    CamDawg said:

Yeah I participated in a similar thread and tried to be as reasonable as possible, but I gave up when it was clear that some people were totally set in their ways and you can't debate somebody who won't listen.

I was aware of that, but I didn't mention @Heindrich1988, because by his own admission he never played with mods, so he was merely comparing BG1 vanilla and BG:EE. That doesn't mean that I don't respect his opinion however :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

IkMarc said:

Did you just call somebody "trash" because they didn't name names?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I called someone trash, because that certain someone implied, that no one here is able to commit/dedicate to something, which I find insulting. Regardless if that was his/her intention or not.

For @Schneidend information, you can insult someone without "calling names". It's not kindergarten anymore, you know.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Direct insults constitute flaming, which (as I've stated numerous times already) is against the site rules. Really, you should know better by now.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    2 cents, 5 cents, 50 Cent...
    Uhfff

We need MOAR topics like that!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I called someone trash, because that certain someone implied, that no one here is able to commit/dedicate to something, which I find insulting. Regardless if that was his/her intention or not.

For @Schneidend information, you can insult someone without "calling names". It's not kindergarten anymore, you know.

I said they didn't "name" names, as in nobody was specifically insulted. You, on the other hand, specifically insulted somebody. As Dee has mentioned, that is against the rules, and you are currently the only one in the thread guilty of doing so.

Further, what the OP actually said was that Trent has "more guts, commitment and passion" (emphasis mine) than others, not that he is the only one who has the capacity to commit/dedicate.

I did not imply such a thing, you are fighting a straw man. I did not wish to insult anyone, reread my posts literally if you wish and you might understand I didn't.