Skip to content

I'm sick of BGEE haters

As a fellow fan of the Baldur's Gate series, it really pisses me off that there are some people who complain that there shouldn't be an "enhanced edition" and stuff like that. Recently I read a Youtube comment on the BG2EE teaser trailer, and the person who posted the comment said that he/she doesn't see why there is an enhanced edition when the original can be bought off gog.com

One of the reasons why I bought the enhanced edition instead of going to gog.com to get the original edition is because if the game experiences any serious bugs, I don't want to go through so much trouble on my own finding the right patch to fix it, or to tone down my PC's graphics card or something like that because I'm not very experienced in this sort of thing. As for BGEE, if there's a bug, the developers will soon offer a patch that'll be downloadable. I recently bought Icewind Dale off gog.com three weeks after I bought Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2, and I am having some serious problems with Icewind Dale. When I try to start a new game, the game doesn't go to the part where you create your characters, the screen just turns semi dark and freezes on you. The only way to unfreeze it is to press Enter, but it doesn't take you to the character customization parts.

So, to all the old school Baldur's Gate fans, cut BGEE some slack and let new fans like me join the family without being forced to buy an old edition of a game that may not work on our advanced PC at all. BGEE is more suited for the up to date PCs. At least BGEE hasn't frozen up on me like Icewind Dale.
Cuv[Deleted User]Musaabsarevok57[Deleted User]ShapiroKeatsDarkMageSCARY_WIZARDIkMarcalnairDurenasAristillius

Comments

• JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    There should be a "Rant about BG:EE" thread where all the rants have been combined into one.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477

People are entitled to their own opinions. I don't think Icewind Dale not working for you is a particularly good counterpoint to those opinions on BG:EE though.

It is your opinion on whether it is a good counterpoint or not.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It's all about opinions anyway. I don't play BGEE as i don't find it interesting and to me it's actually a downgrade from the original game. But i still did buy BGEE and i'll support them, because anyone that can draw more people to this amazing game and make it todays news, deserves that support.
    ErgStuckinMudghostowlRnRClown
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

There should be a "Rant about BG:EE" thread where all the rants have been combined into one.

They will be assimilated. Resistance is futile :D

Personally I'm happy with BGEE. I'm incredibly lazy and I don't want to have to go through the process of getting wrappers or other software to get the game to work (I'm on a mac). I tried that with IWD2 and despite my best efforts I could never get it to run in full screen properly. Anyways, hopefully this upcoming patch addresses any technical problems people are having with BGEE.
    TJ_Hooker
    SionIV said:

It's all about opinions anyway. I don't play BGEE as i don't find it interesting and to me it's actually a downgrade from the original game. But i still did buy BGEE and i'll support them, because anyone that can draw more people to this amazing game and make it todays news, deserves that support.

I disagree with the "downgrading" part, but I'm glad you support Baldur's Gate in general. Plus, I would love to see Baldur's Gate 3 if possible. A sequel to a great game like this does not deserve to remain cancelled. I know the 3rd sequel of some, if not most games don't turn out to at least be equal to the 2nd installment, but I have hopes that if there will be a BG3, it will be equal to BG2 in greatness.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Between BGEE and a modded BGT it is a downgrade. But i'm all for supporting them and who knows, i might end up enjoying BG2EE much more.
    StuckinMudErg
    SionIV said:

Between BGEE and a modded BGT it is a downgrade. But i'm all for supporting them and who knows, i might end up enjoying BG2EE much more.

Then again, I never grew up playing the original BG and modded it, the only Baldur's Gate related game I ever played before BGEE is Dark Alliance. I guess that means BGEE is meant to bring in new fans more than offer the fans who have been part of the fanbase since 1998 something completely fresh.

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think bg is worth it just for bringing sorcerers into bg1. And all those bard kits. And the iPad edition is worth its weight in gold. People complain, but when they diss beamdog doing anything at all, there not really thinking about it. If you don't like ee, buy the original of gog. Then they say beamdog hasn't done enough. Well, Would you rather have a "bad" (as they put it) EE or none at all?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Padenton[Deleted User][Deleted User]Flashburn
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    I don't know about you, but I support EE fully. And the best way I demo'd that is by pre-purchasing both 1:EE and 2:EE.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Okay, now we've got way too many "sick of the haters" threads.
    redline[Deleted User]FredjoTJ_Hooker
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I get where the op is coming from (even if he doesn't like donuts). I have a heavily modded version of BG on my laptop and it's awesome, much more fun than EE. However half the time I load it up it doesn't work properly. So EE is worth it for me just for that reason.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Support? Yes, absolutely.

But I WANT THE BLOODY PATCH ALREADY!

Ahem.

Thank you.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I think you're exaggerating a little bit to get your point across. You don't have to go really looking for a patch, it's out there, just google it and it makes your game very stable (less inherent bugs than the current BGEE) You also don't have to configure your video card to play the game...well at least for BG2 anyway.

I would agree with you on BGEE makes life easier by developers but the problem is, the current BGEE patch is very late and everyone is anxious about it...while the originals have a stable version that has a patch already available.

I think your logic doesn't make sense...while I do appreciate you supporting the game, try to understand why some of us are frustrated (although most of us are awaiting patiently anyway)
    TJ_HookerRlimErg
    ghostowl said:

I think you're exaggerating a little bit to get your point across. You don't have to go really looking for a patch, it's out there, just google it and it makes your game very stable (less inherent bugs than the current BGEE) You also don't have to configure your video card to play the game...well at least for BG2 anyway.

Believe me, I tried to search for a patch, but the links didn't take me anywhere useful. This one link suggested I try to run Icewind Dale as administrator of my PC, but that didn't help any.

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2013
    To be honest, BG:EE runs worse on my computer than the original. Although, with any luck, that will change with the next patch.
    ErgRedGuard
  • CurmudgeonCurmudgeon Member Posts: 57
    Perhaps we have reached diminishing returns on this type of discussion. Once BGEE 1 & 2 are out and close to bug-free, once WeiDu and other utilities are updated, once the more popular (indispensable?) mods are made available, people will be able to decide dispassionately (just kidding) whether to go with EE or stick with TuTu/BGT or maybe even enjoy both! In the meantime I have plenty of books to read, movies to watch, games to play, work to do, and a lovely significant other to make whoopie with. Personally, I wish Beamdog well and hope that overhauling old classics catches on. Would love to see a Deus Ex EE or a Rome Total War 1 EE.
    TJ_HookerelminsterErg
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    I don't understand this kind of threads. How can you be forced to buy/not to buy something BG:EE or to enjoy/not to enjoy a game just because some opinions you don't like? Also a lot of criticism I read is valid and I agree with, and it's fine as long as it is expressed in a rational and civilized manner. Not accepting any criticism or taking it as hate is as bad in my opinion as the "haters" blamed here: denotes some kind of fanaticism.
    FrozenCellsErg
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    gunman said:

I don't understand this kind of threads. How can you be forced to buy/not to buy something BG:EE or to enjoy/not to enjoy a game just because some opinions you don't like? Also a lot of criticism I read is valid and I agree with, and it's fine as long as it is expressed in a rational and civilized manner. Not accepting any criticism or taking it as hate is as bad in my opinion as the "haters" blamed here: denotes some kind of fanaticism.

While this is, to a large extent true, it depends largely on the volume of the opinions being stated, and also on the actual quality of the argumentation being employed. The issue with various groups, including and perhaps especially those on the internet, is that particular viewpoints about what constitutes good or bad. If you love a game that most people hate, for example, then it can be pretty offputting to be on a number of prominent forums where 'Game X is Bad' is the dominant viewpoint. The reverse is also true, if you dislike a game that is held as good. I remember I basically quit the Bioware boards after DA2 came out because I actually like the game, and liking the game was not a viable or pleasant position to hold there at that time.

However, the OP is talking about Youtube, and if there is one concrete rule to follow on the internets it is to never read Youtube comments.
    KidCarnivalTJ_Hooker
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    well if its any consolation I'm tired of people labelling others haters just because they aren't happy with something, its just a lazy way to undermine criticism of something you like without actually addressing it or conceding they may make some good points
    10thLichscriverErgRlim
  • MonkLoverMonkLover Member Posts: 24

Perhaps we have reached diminishing returns on this type of discussion. Once BGEE 1 & 2 are out and close to bug-free, once WeiDu and other utilities are updated, once the more popular (indispensable?) mods are made available, people will be able to decide dispassionately (just kidding) whether to go with EE or stick with TuTu/BGT or maybe even enjoy both! In the meantime I have plenty of books to read, movies to watch, games to play, work to do, and a lovely significant other to make whoopie with. Personally, I wish Beamdog well and hope that overhauling old classics catches on. Would love to see a Deus Ex EE or a Rome Total War 1 EE.

Did... did... did you just mention DEUS EX?!

Must... not... re-install... YARGGHHH!
    FlashburnelminsterRnRClown
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Deus ex? *explodes*
    elminster
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    I'm sick if the word "hater". It doesn't even mean anything. Just a buzzword for people with no argument to defend themselves.