Skip to content

Find Familliar - Still Bhaalspawn Only?

EleosEleos Member Posts: 48
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I find it frustrating that familiars are only available for player characters, and not even multiplayer characters. I rarely play mage as the bhaalspawn, but my friends like to play as one when we are playing together, the problem is that this spell becomes totally useless if the main player isn't a wizard. Is it even possible to extend this ability to other characters, or is it hardcoded for some reason? All I ask is that it be extended to non-bhaalspawn human players, not even NPCs.

Anyone else think so? If not, why?
ajwzMoomintrollDeltaslayerCalawennoobersepotter

Comments

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    This would be a nice change to allow for multiple familiars but if place in the first game make them drastically nerfed or the spell found late in the game.
    Eleos
  • EleosEleos Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2012

This would be a nice change to allow for multiple familiars but if place in the first game make them drastically nerfed or the spell found late in the game.

Yeah, we wouldn't want too many familliars running around. Perhaps the spell could just be limited to one (maybe two familliars) active at a time, whether it be the CHARNAME or some other player's. That would keep them from having to nerf the familliar too hard, but other players would still have the chance to have a cuddly little bugger do their dirty work.

I think this feature would give non Bhaalspawn wizard types a lot more character and more play styles. Win-win.

EDIT: Grammar and clarity

*Bump*

Is there any way to make this request more official?
  • CalawenCalawen Member Posts: 707
    I agree, it could be limited to 1 familiar at a time but it would be nice if any wizard (non Bhaalspawn or NPC) could use this spell.
  • DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2012
    Agreed, and I think even all six (mages) members should be able to cast it, since there would be NO roleplaying reason to not allow it.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I would think it more pertinent to rework the familiars so they become more of a useful/situational companion and less of a static hp-booster that you never move from the inventory.
    MoomintrollKenMilesBeyond
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Has anybody ever used Familiar for anything other than a hit point booster? They are completely useless in BG2 and you lose constitution if they accidentally die.
    Has anybody ever used Familiar for anything other than a hit point booster? They are completely useless in BG2 and you lose constitution if they accidentally die.
    Don't a few of the familiars have decent pickpocket abilities? This seems somewhat useful to me. Other than that, yeah, I think they are basically a hit point buff and role-play set piece.
  • CalawenCalawen Member Posts: 707
    I don't really mind the familiar being useless, they are so cute ! I just want the wizard of my team to be able to have one :p
    EleosMoomintroll
    Calawen said:

I don't really mind the familiar being useless, they are so cute ! I just want the wizard of my team to be able to have one :p

Precisely! If I'm not playing a wizard, I don't want to be completely unable to have a familiar in the party. That just seems so... limited.

My big question is: is this a hardcoded feature? Is there some MAJOR reason why we can't change this to be a usable spell by any wizard?

• GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    edited August 2012
    I would like to request this spell be deprecated into a "Find Familiar" scroll. There are few situations this would be used, and even infravision would be more useful if realistic LOS is implemented.

-Galactygon
  • KasonKason Member Posts: 30
    Eleos said:

My big question is: is this a hardcoded feature? Is there some MAJOR reason why we can't change this to be a usable spell by any wizard?

I don't think so cause you can cast "Find Familiar" by anyone using "potion exploit" in both BG's.

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    This is definitely a good point for multiplayer, but I don't think it would be too useful for other Mages in the game as they most already have special attributes.
    wariisop said:

This is definitely a good point for multiplayer, but I don't think it would be too useful for other Mages in the game as they most already have special attributes.

Yeah, all I'm really asking for here is that other wizard players be able to cast this spell. Restricting it to the main character is just mean.
  • RinpooRinpoo Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2012
    I was upset by this fact since the spell is useless to my bhaalspawn, and Aerie or any other mage could not use it. It was upsetting that my ranger could not use the ability also, since nature freaks like druids and rangers love animals.
    Eleos
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Rinpoo

I guess they wanted to make the Beast Master getting a familiar a class advantage, so the other Rangers didn't get it.
    Eleos
    @Tanthalas

What is your opinion on other wizards being capable of casting this spell? Would this cause balancing issues?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Eleos
    Personally, I think that every mage in the party should be allowed to get a Familiar. I'm not sure if the extra HP on mages would be that imbalancing to the game and the Familiars themselves are pretty much universally too weak to be used in combat situations (except in BG1 where they need to be rebalanced anyway).
    Eleos