Skip to content

Movies STILL have Stuttering Audio

JaySee84JaySee84 Member Posts: 52
Title pretty much says it all.

When the intro FMV plays, all the audio cracks and pops. Same with every movie in the game. Gameplay itself is perfect, and all audio is crystal clear. It's JUST the movies that are affected.

If I go into the system files, and play the movies in VNC they play fine. This is exactly the same issue I was having pre-beta.

Anyone else suffering with this, or if you had it before has it been resolved for you?
CoryNewbAlkalurops

Comments

• PrismoPrismo Member Posts: 12
    I did have the stuttering, but the issue seems resolved in the Beta for me.
  • lekikinou33lekikinou33 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 129
    I'm very disappointed about the open beta, I have also this problem always...
    And my game it's always lag and so unplayable :(
    And a new problem is about audio when I create a character with each click, sound it's cut :(
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited October 2013
    I'm not really sure about this, but i had a problem with the movies as well. Though it wasn't sound-related, it was actually worse (movies can't be played at all) and your stuttering make me think the movies can't be played for some processing power reason.
    In my case I just got rid of the problem by restarting my computer and only launching BGEE beta...

BUT before that, this restart wasn't needed to get the movies play fine on the current version of the game.

Conclusion : it really seems the movies are a lot "heavier" now in the beta, and can't be played right on some configurations, for whatever reason. I really think you should continue to investigate this @Dee.

Can't say what's the problem, but there is definitely something wrong about the movies in the beta.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Couldn't one of the reason be that the movies are now played fullscreen at high resolutions, and your hardware simply can't handle it ingame?
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    It could really be that indeed. Like i said, my problem disappeared when i got my memory free (or so i suspect) by restarting my computer. A lot of VLC instances and such had been launched since my last reboot.
    Still, i don't see how this should be a necessary problem. I mean, it's not like these movies even in HD full resolution were too much power for modern computers. I usually can see full HD movies anytime while having other software running on my system.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Could potentially a resource issue inside BG:EE as well. Resources for the game aren't enough for the game and the movie, but your computer could probably have the game open and the movie played in VLC at the same time, as they don't share resources.

Don't know how the game handles the movies, but sometimes they get treated in a bad way ;)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We're looking into the problem, and I'm compiling a list of hardware that is experiencing the stuttering. If your movies are stuttering, please go ahead and post here with your CPU and GPU information.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Still stuttering, although noticeably less than in 1.0.2014, on a Late-2011 MacBook Pro (CPU 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, GPU Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB @ 1280x800).
    if it's useful for you :)

Operating System: Windows 7 Édition Familiale Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Display Memory: 1341 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
    Shared Memory: 1213 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (59Hz)

@lekikinou33
    I was more specifically looking for people who are seeing this issue with the beta; I've provisioned you with it now--try installing the beta and let me know if the issue persists.
    edited October 2013
    eh eh i 'm silly ...
    Now my beamdog client have a new baldur gate lol...
  • LeoNegusLeoNegus Member Posts: 46
    I have already reported yesterday by e-mail that I experienced the audio stuttering problem and it was fixed by quitting the game and restarting.
    After some more testing today, I had no audio problems but at some point the game started to skip the rest and death movies completely. This is also fixed when I quit the game but only temporarily. After a couple of reloads the movies start skipping again.

I'm running on a 1st gen mac pro and never had issues with the movies before the beta.

* Operating System: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
    * CPU: 2 x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @ 2 GHz (4 cores total)
    * GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    JuliusBorisovAvenger_teambglolien
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @LeoNegus Which year is your MacPro from?
    @LeoNegus I bet a MacPro 1,1 like mine with a custom graphic card. I've got the original GeForce 7300 GT and I've had no issue with stuttering after installing the beta version.
    I have 8 MB of RAM if it makes a difference (and I apologise for not reading @LeoNegus post carefully as he stated clearly his model after all!!)
  • LeoNegusLeoNegus Member Posts: 46
    @ljbo
    Yes, it's a MacPro1,1 and I also have 8 GB RAM. Did you try reloading a few times? Because every time I quit the app and restart the problem goes away for a while, it comes back after a couple of reloads.
    @LeoNegus I experienced your problem too I think. I can't reproduce it at will though. Here is a precise description:

0. Do a series of save's and load's
    1. click on "Rent" in an Inn
    2. the screen flickers briefly and the Inn dialogue is still on the screen: no movie

It does never happen after a fresh start of the game indeed.

I had a variant in Candlekeep at the beginning of the game: instead of point 2, I had

2'. The message "You can't rest at this time" showed up.

I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with the stuttering issue. It sounds more like a core game problem for phase III to me.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    With the beta version, I have this issue with two systems:

A netbook with
    * Operating System: Windows 7 Home 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) French version
    * CPU: AMD E-350 Processor (2 CPU) ~1.6 GHz, RAM 4 GB
    * GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, screen 1366x768 (without upscaling)

A desktop with
    * Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) French version
    * CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPU) ~2.4 GHz, RAM 8 GB
    * GPU: AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series (HD 4850, 512 MB RAM), screen 1920x1200 (used without scaling)

The worse is with the desktop, maybe because it has more than two times more pixels to display. This is particularily true with the two starting movies for BG and the Black Pits, also but maybe less with the Friendly Arm movie.
    Rest movies don't have a real problem but the sound doesnt always sound right, even though the cracks of fire in these movies could be misleading.
    The problem seems even worse through the option to replay the movies. VLC has no problem playing them in full screen.
    On the netbook, you just hear that the sound is not totally right, that there are small bits missing so you have some steps of sound (you miss small parts of decrease or increase, for instance).

Now I realise that the desktop computer has the same problem with version 1.0.2014, although it's sounds a bit better. It happens that I recently reinstalled the system from scratch. However I installed the latest non-beta version of AMD drivers. I shall restart on the old boot partition to check if there is any change in behaviour.
    Maybe I forgot this problem since I usually don't pay attention to such starting movies.
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    * CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
    * GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    On an Intel integrated VGA, the videos are still a liiiiiiiiitle bit shaky. Not that it would bother me, but if you look closely, you can see it.
    To be honest...the game plays normally on an integrated Intel VGA in 1680x1050 resolution now (I don't have to swap to the powerful VGA), so I am happy and satisfied with this.
    On a GeForce - all is clean of course.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    * CPU: AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    * GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

I also have the same problem. I just tried updating my video drivers but it didn't help. They work fine when I play them in VLC Media Player.
    JaySee84
  • JaySee84JaySee84 Member Posts: 52
    edited October 2013
    Just for clarity, this is what I'm experiencing with every movie. I think FRAPS exaggerated it a bit, but not by much.

elminster
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    @JaySee84 I was actually just logging on to offer anybody at Overhaul the option for me to Twitch stream BGEE for them and show them live if they would like.

Offer does stand, you guys have my email, get in touch and if you want to see/hear it, let me know.
  • RahlikRahlik Member Posts: 86
    @Dee I am encountering this issue on a couple of laptops with the released version. One is an amd x2 with radeon mobility graphics card. The other is a newer laptop with an intel processor and nvidia graphics card. On my 2 desktop pc's I dont seem to be suffering any issues however both have far superior processors and graphics cards to the laptops.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    JaySee84 said:

Just for clarity, this is what I'm experiencing with every movie. I think FRAPS exaggerated it a bit, but not by much.

Wow thats pretty bad.
    @elminster Yeah, but the worst part is that the game itself runs AMAZINGLY well!

I've been playing this game for nearly 15 years, and it's never never looked or played better. It's just these darn FMVs that are destroying it for me...

It'll get sorted, though. I have faith in the devs. :)

alnairelminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    Yea I'm sorry to see that. My videos don't seem to lag at all. They might during the first 1/2 second of the video (especially the Friendly Arm Inn video) but its too hard to tell with 100% certainty. Hopefully the devs can sort this all out :)
    We've got a fix for this in the update we just pushed. If you've been experiencing sound issues during the movies (or any issues with the movies, for that matter), take a look now and let us know if you're still having trouble.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    It works!!! :)
    ElectricMonk
    Well, the movies definitely play better, but are only full sized with scaled UI. The Intro movie is also ALOT smaller than the rest of the movies, though.