Skip to content

Steam Keys for those who Pre-Ordered

Has there been any news lately as to whether or not those of us who pre-ordered will receive a Steam key? I'd really like to have the game officially on Steam. While I know it's no fault of the team, I still feel burned by pre-ordering rather than waiting and getting it on Steam in the first place.

Thanks.

Comments

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    You shouldn't feel burned, even though I agree that there is a great convenience to have the games on Steam and if I could get a Steam key for BGEE without it costing Beamdog I gladly take one.

However if you had waited for the Steam version BD would have got next to nothing from it. Now instead you have supported those that deserved supporting.
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Also, remember you can add third-party games to your Steam library.
  • NemNem Member Posts: 51
    diggerb said:

Also, remember you can add third-party games to your Steam library.

Yeah but it's not the same. If I ever get a new PC, format my old one, etc. I can easily grab 90% of my games off of Steam again without digging around elsewhere. It's convenient. I also generally find non-steam games I add that way will vanish off my list from time to time and have to be added back.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Wait until the game is on sale in steam or some other shop that sells steam keys and buy it then. I highly doubt they'll start distributing steam keys for old customers at this point. Worst case scenario you'll lose ~5$.

Buying directly from developer usually gives them bigger share of the money and in this case also better support, since game updates in steam are always late.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Even though I pre ordered it off beamdog, I was going to grab it during the Steam summer sale last month when it was 75% or 50% off or whatever, but the uncertainty of the future of the series (patch and BG2) prevented me from doing so. Would have gotten a couple copies for some friends too, but multiplayer still hasn't been fixed...
  • sebolonosebolono Member Posts: 4
    any official word on this? I preordered both bgee and bg2ee, and I did it to support the devs directly, but getting steam keys is a big deal.
    I know I can add non-steam games to the library, in fact bgee is already there, but as a distribution center, steam is simply the best. I would like to take advantage of that, specially since both games are for sale on the platform.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Atari controls the Steam version (even to the point of determining when the Steam version receives patches after we release them here), and they've decided not to make the keys available to us. That may change someday, but it doesn't seem likely.
  • sebolonosebolono Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the swift reply, Dee.

Its sad to read about the issues Overhaul has been having with Atari. One would think the developer-publisher relationship is meant to be mutually supportive, but I guess business somehow gets in the way.

I don't really have a problem with not having it on steam, but it would have been a very nice bonus. The updates-first issue is totally lost on me as I run the game directly and I'm not one to worry about checking for updates myself (Steam does this for me, even If I'm not currently playing the games that need updates). I guess I will need to change my habit of not running the launcher, not a big deal I guess.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    For anyone wanting to add BGEE in to their Steam library now is a good chance since it currently 75% off!