Skip to content

Wild Mage Contingency Exploit

KenKen Member Posts: 226
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
As a Wild Mage you can cast "reckless dweomer" and then select contingency spells (lvl 6 or 9) and cast it without any chance of failure.. They always work, thus breaking gameplay (A lvl 1 who found the lvl 9 scroll would be able to cast it perfectly)

Has this been fixed?
Post edited by Balquo on
HvitrEbrithillolien

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Daedalus87mAndreaColomboKirinaldololien
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I kinda liked it too, but still.. It should be fixed :)
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited August 2012
    Once again:
    nooooooooooooooo.com
    It is a feature, not a bug ;)
    lolien
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Anton said:
    Best website ever.
    Zarathustraelminster
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    What? Are you saying that people who don't like it can just avoid casting this spell combination so that you can keep exploiting a bug?
    What if cure light wounds, instead of doing 1d8 healing would do 10d8 healing, should people just avoid casting it if they do not intend to heal 10d8 damage?
    Ken
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Worg said:

What if cure light wounds, instead of doing 1d8 healing would do 10d8 healing, should people just avoid casting it if they do not intend to heal 10d8 damage?

This is precisely what "no harm unless explicitly intended" is about. If we intend to heal 1d8 and cast CLW for that, then it should heal 1d8 and no more.
    AntonAndreaColombo
    Worg said:

What? Are you saying that people who don't like it can just avoid casting this spell combination so that you can keep exploiting a bug?

Pretty much :) I have plans for a Wild Mage character that are entirely based on that loophole. Remove it, and Wild Mages will be toned down from the most powerful class in BG2 to the most hazardous.

Pretty much :) I have plans for a Wild Mage character that are entirely based on that loophole. Remove it, and Wild Mages will be toned down from the most powerful class in BG2 to the most hazardous.

As the class should be :P
    Zarathustra
    I know, right? But you'll have to admit that sometimes cheese is fun =P
    CrevsDaak
    It sure is fun, I felt kinda like the Cowled Wizards using their unfair "Tattoo of Power"

BUT it should be fixed ^^
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2012
    @Anton: There is also a website for this: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/.

EDIT: oops, you already knew... Sorry.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Did the "keymap chain contingency" is similar to this?? Anomen can cast one trough like many other characters, the only requisit is to be able to cast spells and to have some memorized and, OBIOUSLY, to have Chain Contingengy keymapped.
    lolienlunar
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited August 2013
    Same bug goes for minor/spell sequencer and spell trigger.
    Post edited by ankheg on
  • minutusminutus Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2013
    At least sequencers can still surge themselves when fired, which contingencies don't do - though obviously it's important to fix both types.

A very annoying bug this is, as it gets easily exploited without any intention from the player. And being one of the most powerful spells in the game (chain contingency) it can seriously spoil some otherwise thrilling last resort situations.

I know discovering this bug was a big "meh" for me. During SoA I used Nahal for CC couple of times to prepaire for the most difficult fights, every time in a "cave" with chaos shield and buffs to mitigate potential hazards. It's a nice feeling of dangerous power to remember that if all else fails, you might also try to pull this card during a fight, but once I learned it's bugged and actually fail-safe it became obvious no-go and ruined that fun. Saying that it should be preserved because of Cheese appeal is, quite honest, very off putting.

I don't know about keymap exploit, but I think it's related, as it reminded me of a bug with casting contingencies/sequencers from Project Image (Simu has the same I think). What happens (with BG2+Fixpack) is you actually get to choose contigency/sequencer for another character in your party (probably depends on slot orders) even if they aren't mages. For example, in my game is if PC Mage's Project Image casts contingency/sequencer, Jaheira gets to pick these for herself from her divine spells - and they actually work too. If I look at her magebook to check her current contingency, the game will crash (because she's not supposed to have magebook at all), but otherwise they trigger "normally". A huge exploit of course.
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    This is a useful coincidence to eliminate bad surge chances. Do not fix what is NOT broken.
    CrevsDaak