Skip to content

Startup Crash

DannyCDannyC Member Posts: 1
I bought Baldurs Gate EE on steam a few days ago, and I haven't been able to get it to start. Whenever I click on the icon, a white screen and a crash report comes up. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    Can you tell us what the crash error message is exactly? Without it, we can't help you as it can be everything that caused it.
  • C1oudrakerC1oudraker Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this on Steam and am having the exact same problem, a white screen, I get literally three seconds of music and then a popup saying "There was an error. A crash report was saved to {on my disk}. Please contact support@baldursgate.com"
    I tried to attach the crash report here but it says that (dump.2014.0000.dmp) Uploaded file type is not allowed.
    I don't have anything that can open a dmp file to give more info.
    Any help?
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @C1oudraker Try zipping the .dmp report first then try to upload it here. I think that should work.
  • Theo_BombasTheo_Bombas Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I have the same problem though I am using the Stand-Alone version of the game. The weird thing is that before the latest patch BG: EE worked perfectly. When I start the game now I get the same white square, the game continues to Start-Up screen in which you can choose the different versions of the game and there seems like the game wants to post all the letters and symbols in a font. If I don't quit the game quite speedily after this screen, it crashes. Sound and all. I don't think it's an Intel graphics program since I don't have a Intel Graphics Adapter installed in that particular Laptop.

Edit: I should clarify one thing: I have tried to reinstall Nvidia drivers for my Graphics adapter. It's still the same problem.
  • JericuJericu Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. I was able to get it running once shortly after I purchased it, played through the tutorial, got killed in the tutorial, quit the game, and then later the same day I tried to play it, the game crashed immediately when I tried to run it with a message saying that an info dump (that I can't read, so I can't even try to fix it) was saved on my computer. I've got 8 crash dumps saved on my computer. I've tried reinstalling the game and Steam, but neither has helped at all.
  • guywithfaceguywithface Member Posts: 1
    I also bought BG:EE through Steam. The game launches, music playing, but I am looking at vertical white stripes. I've tried messing with colors, resolution, drivers... still looking at white stripes. I'm all out of ideas.
  • williams226williams226 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Hi

I purchased Baldurs Gate 1 EE first back in september. It worked fine. I didnt play then for a couple of months and in december I decided to purchase Baldurs Gate 2 EE both were from steam.

When I run Baldurs Gate 2 EE it crashes:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Baldur.exe
    Application Version: 0.1.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 528e755e
    Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18704
    Fault Module Timestamp: 5065cd44
    Exception Code: e06d7363
    Exception Offset: 0001d8cb
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: cbc1
    Additional Information 2: 46b6c7b936ac52c8c37bf6ffa46ebf40
    Additional Information 3: 5193
    Additional Information 4: 5e58b87e6e95bba93bbb59dc6d016def

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I have tried added the Baldurs.exe file to the DEP as per instruction in the forum. I have updated graphics drivers. I use the Run as Administrator for the game. I have re-installed the file in the OALINST.exe as per what others have said in the forum. I have also tried ticking the two boxes DISABLE Visual Themes, and Disable Desktop Composition and I have tried running in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2, and Windows 98. I currently have Windows Vista ( which is rubbish I know I am thinking of going to Wind7 but I really dont like Windows 8 when I used it on friends pc). But that will require alot of effort to save items off my pc.

I also updated my video drivers and tried both 16b and 32b colour. Someone suggested changing the colour depth in one post.

So I also tried BG1 again and that is also crashing now. Its very frustrating, seeing as all other games I have are fine, Skyrim plays lovely, Elder scrolls online, The witcher 2, and BG2 original game that I own also works fine i tested that the other day.

So pls pls help.