Skip to content

Anomen

13»

Comments

• DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013
    BobC said:

I honestly don't get the Anomen hate. Is it because he act sexist towards the female main character? Or is there something I'm missing? He doesn't seem anymore annoying than any of the other characters in the game. I mean, Jaheira complains about every little thing you do, Edwin treats you like crap no matter what you say, and don't get me started on Aerie emotional problems. What makes him more annoying than these characters.

If you don't take Jahiera's criticisms, she usually reconsiders them. Aerie had some issues to have [her own] cause for some unsatisfaction.
    SionIV said:

Jaheira has her reasons for doing so, and is more like a protective mother hen.

I still think that he is an amazing NPCs. Because while i don't care about Cernd, Valygar and so on. I can't help but to really dislike and loathe Anomen, and that just means they did an amazing NPC to get such a reaction out of a player.

That's rather standard in CRPGs. I can't go far into Neverwinter Nights without wanting to crack just about everyone else's skull, which isn't such a bad thing, because there isn't much more to the game (a bit off topic). Once again, if you don't give concern to Jaheira's criticisms, she starts to considers the flaws in herself.
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on
  • BobC said:

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. Isn't this how most RPG characters work? I'm pretty sure most character will stick up to their own beliefs and argue against the things they dont' like.

I can only speak for myself, but I think a comparison with Edwin is instructive. Both characters are arrogant and vainglorious; they hold their own capabilities in high regard and downplay the contributions of others so as to elevate themselves even further. Both are chauvinistic. Both tend to treat non-humans as amusements or as an inferior class.

So why is Edwin liked while Anomen is disliked? There are two big differences I can identify. First and foremost, Edwin is straightforward in his self-aggrandizement and never pretends that he is anything but a self-serving bastard, while Anomen tries to portray himself as a valiant knight out to serve the forces of Order and protect the innocent. In other words, they're both arrogant bastards, but Anomen is hypocritical enough to pretend that he serves a higher cause and not just himself. Secondly, Edwin is funny and humor goes a long ways towards rehabilitating a character that would otherwise be insufferable. We put up with Edwin because it means getting to see him trip over himself as he attempts to climb to greater power. Anomen is just irritating; in the right party he can serve as fodder for sharper wits, but on his own he's just a pumped up peacock.
    DancingBugbearTJ_HookerEudaemoniumThe_Vityaz
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited October 2013
    Kaigen said:

In other words, they're both arrogant bastards, but Anomen is hypocritical enough to pretend that he serves a higher cause and not just himself.

Well, Korgan point this straight in Anomen's face if you have both Korgan and Anomen in the party. In fact anomen x korgan banters are a bit of poetic justice for people who dislike Anomen, every time Anomen tries to vangloriate himself with Korgan, the dwarf just mook or insult him, sometimes with a bit of threat behind his words, which Anomen wisely let go without replies.
    DancingBugbear[Deleted User]
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013
    Jan makes some comments, too. The only cure for him might be Xan. For those with vainglorious, or goody-goody-two shoes taste, they could try Heir'delis too. He doesn't need much counterpart, as all his attempts tend to be futile, largely due to his apathy. One encounter with Xan later in the game, and he might shoot himself in the head with a crossbow, or decide to lay in a ditch for the next passing seasons. He seem a little out of sorts with why you'd want a bard along in the party that's so unoriginal. Maybe additional scripts could be added with him constantly sidetracking in brothels. It seems like about the only place he could meet his pursuits. It doesn't seem necessary to mention it for Koragan. Maybe he could take up a hobby, like crest collecting. (regarding the original branch of this post, maybe Xan could show up as an undead that isn't particularly concerned about his situation).
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The difference between Edwin and Anomen aside from the comedy and self-deception is the comic deflation that occurs with Edwin. The Edwina story arc, his ending and the constant mockery he endures from other characters balance out his ego and megalomania. Hell, with what he goes through you almost feel sorry for the arrogant sod. Aside from being mocked by Jan, Anomen gets off fairly lightly.
    DancingBugbear[Deleted User]
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    BobC said:

I honestly don't get the Anomen hate. Is it because he act sexist towards the female main character? Or is there something I'm missing? He doesn't seem anymore annoying than any of the other characters in the game. I mean, Jaheira complains about every little thing you do, Edwin treats you like crap no matter what you say, and don't get me started on Aerie emotional problems. What makes him more annoying than these characters.

Edwin is hilarious.

Aerie is cute in a vulnerable sort of way, if you're into that (I am)

Yes, Jaheira is annoying.

If you met Anomen in real life, you'd want to punch him in the face.

SionIVDancingBugbear
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2013
    mylegbig said:

BobC said:

Edwin is hilarious.

Aerie is cute in a vulnerable sort of way, if you're into that (I am)

Yes, Jaheira is annoying.

If you met Anomen in real life, you'd want to punch him in the face.

And yet I don't find Edwin or his constant complaining hilarious at all, and I actutally think Anomen is a cool character who actually has an interesting story and realistic flaws (like dealing with his evil nature). I guess I find different personalities less annoying than others.

Maybe I'm not reading the script hard enough even after playing BG2 for over 10 years. But I never really found Anomen as arrogant as many of you people think.
    kamuizinchickenhed
  • BobC said:

And yet I don't find Edwin or his constant complaining hilarious at all, and I actutally think Anomen is a cool character who actually has an interesting story and realistic flaws (like dealing with his evil nature). I guess I find different personalities less annoying than others.

Maybe I'm not reading the script hard enough even after playing BG2 for over 10 years. But I never really found Anomen as arrogant as many of you people think.

Well, there's no accounting for taste; I'm sure any NPC I could name that I like would draw a half a dozen people to disagree with me. But there's also the matter of different experiences, as depending on who you have in your party Anomen might come off as more or less insufferable. Put him in a party with, say, Minsc, Jaheira, and Yoshimo, and he's not all that objectionable; in other company it's a different story. There's also the matter of whether or not you do his romance (and whether you have the stomach to continue it past the opening dialog) and see that side of his character.
    jackjack
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Edwina may be comic relief, but what about Anomen's story? Kind of sheds some light on to his character. His dad is a total butthole to him; of course he's kind of a jerk. But when he passes his test, he lets a lot of that go. I think he's one of the better characters in the game and I completely agree with the assessment that the Jaheira is just as (or more) annoying.
    BaldursCat
  • ankxegankxeg Member Posts: 1
    If i don't play as cleric myself, always take Anomen. I played BG so much times that now i'm just skipping all dialogs, so i'm not bored of his whining. Pass the test, and Anomen gets wisdom 16. In higher levels he can fight as second tank. One time decided to be greedy and messed Anomens quest. Killed Saerk and his company. Anomen haven't passed the test, began to quarrel with Keldorn and ended with fight with him. They were high levels both at that time. Anomen hided in sanctuary, buffed himself with holy power and blade barrier and killed Keldorn in two hits