Skip to content

Anomen

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
This discussion was created from comments split from: Where would you like to find Neera/Dorn/Rassad in BG 2 EE?.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I get surprised how people can mislead character history with power! The fact you don't like a character doesn't meant he's powerless, maybe you just avoided Anomen and don't know how to use him, but he's the best tanker of the game (except maybe for Jaheira and even then i think he's best than her).

It's a question of stats and skills, not personality. To compare him with mazzy...
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Anomen isn´t multiclass. And definitely he isn´t weak. He is one of the most powerful character. Much stronger than Viconia, Mazzy, Minsc, Valygar... In fact stronger than anybody who doesn´t use arcane magic, Keldorn and Jaheira.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013
    [Anomen] He's certainly far weaker than Jaheira, without ironskins, and lightening storm, where usable. Any mage with sequencer can devistate about anything, or anyone that gets through a hold person, domination, or dire charm, or many other high level instant destruction spells can devastate anything. Any other fighters with free action, charm, domination, and confusion protection items, or spell enhancements can take out Anomen in moments. Dual/Multiclass just give a massive advantage, unfortunately reducing the applicability of kits. The case is, Baldur's Gate 2 just gives out experience way too fast, and all the characters are overpowered. If it would reduce it, it could make room for a Baldur's Gate 3.

Also, it's more about roleplaying, than things that make big effects. In that way, Anomen is very ineffective, and unuseful. His main appeal is his messing everything up, and bringing havoc on himself. If you want max combat abilities, use an editor, and max out all your characters' stats, and give all your characters all the skills.
    @gcg, The proper use for anomen is pre-cleric buffs, DUHM and others for basic melee performance buffs, chaotic command, blade barrier (mirror shield if needed) and any other buff you want. Then launch him to the front line and take off arcane physical spell protections with your mage and see the magic happens.
    edited October 2013
    @kamuizin I thought the primary use of Anomen was to watch him mess up. He has low stats for a cleric, and for a fighter, and isn't a very developed fighter. The other clerics can put buffs on the other fighters, and keep casting. Or they can buff up with both mage and cleric spells and go in, in the case of Arree, and be powerhouses. It seems redundant to have him, when you can have Jahiera, and shes way better. Unless you want to set up an all priestly party, and he still doesn't work, because he's not amenable to anyone.
    edited October 2013
    In the original Baldur's Gate 2, he could only get specialization level skill in weapons. Jahiera has a better dexterity. There's normally a belt of strength, or gauntlets of ogre power to give her. The gauntlets of dexterity are better given to one of the other characters, like Minsc or Koragan, or Edwin, a particularly overrated character, for the opposite reasons, as about as good as a non multiclassed/dualclassed mage can be, also foolish, with many of the party members about as intelligent as he, also waiting for a beating. Jahiera gets iron skins, instead of blade barrier, and call woodland creatures, and call lightning, instead draw on holy might, and hold person, and the early use of entangle and fire elemental, but lacks the turn undead, if you don't have another priest. Viconia has more spell capacity, and higher dexterity, and can use strength gauntlets, or girdles too, but is better as a defender. Aerie can get invulnerable on mage spells, and then use priest spells, and destroy everything, but is better just casting. There's also Cernd, who can kick anybody's nobbillies as a werewolf. And they all have keeness, except perhaps Jaheira's dedication to the Harpers. All of the characters are potent. Even Anomen's stats are far above average. Maybe it could be toned down so not everyone in the game's a high level combatant, that will make their quality work, without having to be higher level. But he's a nincompoop (if that's not too hard a word for people to include).
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on
    Dude i don't know which is your source but BG2 Anomen always could go for grand mastery, it's vanilla. As there's a belt of strengh for Jaheira, there's the gloves of dexterity for Anomen and i don't see why the gloves are better given to other characters, this isn't a justify but your personal taste (and give the glove for edwin instead of Anomen isn't the wisest choice, just saying).

The main issue between fighter/ - cleric x druid - is the iron skin x blade barrier and only that.

By the way Anome is the best undead turner of the game, viconia convert undeads and aerie being multi-class evolve too slow to blast the most powerful undeads. At high levels i don't even fight lichs anymore, i just send anomen near them with turn undead and they're blasted to pieces.

(cernd is one of the weakest characters of the game, just saying).

Most of the points raised are relative to personal taste of character buildings, so @gcg, i got it, you don't like Anomen. Ok, you're part of a huge group of Anomen haters (and believe me many in this forum hate him probally more than you). I like him from a roleplay perspective but the like/dislike can't blind us to facts, Anomen is a powerful character from a power game perspective.

I'm not saying that therefore other characters are weaker than him, but for a battle cleric role, Anomen is unique. Viconia and Aerie can't substitute him in that role and the only character with the same function is jaheira being a fighter/druid multi-class.
    edited October 2013
    @kamuizin Italian TKC ToB. Only strait fighters and some kits could get past specialization. Except for archers with bows, and some with duel weapon. No multi or dual class. There was the flaw, that grand mastery didn't give the +1/2 attack, so that didn't mater much anyway.
    Edwin has low HP, so higher A/C is important for him, if your other party members don't need higher dexterity.
    Viconia is just as good at turning undead. Multiclass is only a few levels behind at high levels. A couple of spell enhancements can protect against lich spells.
    Cernd can theoretically turn into a greater werewolf later in the game, and has a lot of spell slots. Aerie can use wizard protections, like stoneskin, mirror image, flame shield, ghost armor, haste, protection from missiles, protection from normal/magical weapons, spell barriers, and sequencers too, in addition to priest spells and be a much more powerful frontliner, but she's better casting spells.

Anomen has one sheep in his fold. He seemed like that kind of guy.

Back to the topic,
    Coran was maybe the toughest party NPC in Baldur's Gate 1. Showing up as an unarmed guy that gets killed like a noncombat common sort seems like a poor of use of him. Maybe he could at least fire some shots and run away.
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Anomen is a very good NPC with a foul personality. Plus his rebranding to "Sir Anomen" is just annoying to look at in the information bar; I don't see why he deserved such glorification for doing what I told him to do, and ceasing to insult and threaten to kill other party members when they disagreed with him.

At the end of the day, all the NPCs are good. None of them perform poorly, the decision should be about the personalities you want to combine. If you are looking for the best party in the game, you're eventually going to get bored, even if it is a game as excellent as BG2. Variety is the spice of life. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the funniest interaction I ever witnessed in the game was between Cernd and Keldorn. Who knew?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    "(cernd is one of the weakest characters of the game, just saying)."

Lets leave that discussion for another thread.
    gcg said:

In the original Baldur's Gate 2, he could only get specialization level skill in weapons. Jahiera has a better dexterity. There's normally a belt of strength, or gauntlets of ogre power to give her. The gauntlets of dexterity are better given to one of the other characters, like Minsc or Koragan, or Edwin, a particularly overrated character, for the opposite reasons, as about as good as a non multiclassed/dualclassed mage can be, also foolish, with many of the party members about as intelligent as he, also waiting for a beating. Jahiera gets iron skins, instead of blade barrier, and call woodland creatures, and call lightning, draw on holy might, and hold person, and the early use of entangle and fire elemental, but lacks the turn undead, if you don't have another priest.

If Jaheira does indeed get draw upon holy might and hold person (neither of which I recall her getting) those are both bugs. The divine characters (aerie, anomen, jaheira, and cernd) had kind of wacky spell books (Anomen had fire seeds, Cernd had champions strength, etc).
    Viconia has more spell capacity, and higher dexterity, and can use strength gauntlets, or girdles too, but is better as a defender. Aerie can get invulnerable on mage spells, and then use priest spells, and destroy everything, but is better just casting. There's also Cernd, who can kick anybody's nobbillies as a werewolf. And they all have keeness, except perhaps Jaheira's dedication to the Harpers. All of the characters are potent. Even Anomen's stats are far above average. Maybe it could be toned down so not everyone in the game's a high level combatant, that will make their quality work, without having to be higher level. But he's a nincompoop (if that's not too hard a word for people to include).
    Viconia is better as a defender than Anomen? Based on what? Her magic resistance? Anomen has much better constitution (as well as extra health because of his fighter levels), his dexterity can be addressed by the dexterity gauntlets, and he can eventually achieve grandmastery.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    1.) Anomen can in the original game get Grand Mastery, because he is dual classed from a fighter.

2.) Anomen is the strongest divine caster in the game, he might not have as many spells as Viconia but he is a much stronger fighter and when you get to the high levels he'll have more spells than he can use.

3.) Cleric -> Druid in BG2 and he got better stats than Jaheira so it's pretty much auto win to Anomen here.

4.) When it comes to it clerics are pretty much buff machines with a few offensive spells. So when you're going to fight they normally have to stand back a little bit, or tank while not doing much damage. Anomen with the right buffs and items can stand at the front and be just as efficient as your fighters.

Anomen might be really annoying and have one of the worst personalities in the game. But he is a power house when it comes to gameplay.

[Edited] :

5.) Viconia is evil and has a much worse Turn Undead feature than Anomen.

6.)

Viconia - Anomen is a much better fighter than her and a more powerful party member. He sacrifices some spells early-mid game to be a more useful character. And end game when they both have high enough spells, he stomps her.

Aerie - As she is a Mage/Cleric her playstyle is completely different to Anomens.

Jaheira - She is the closest one you can compare to Anomen. But in BG2 cleric is more powerful than druid, and as he is single classed and she is multi classed he will be higher level than her when it comes to divine magic. He also has turn undead which can make some frustrating fights very easy, while Jaheira only get a few shapeshift forms she hopefully won't be using.

7.) Many of your party members can use the girdle of strength, but there are only a rare few that can and will use the gauntlets of dexterity (Keldorn, Anomen). Not to mention it's actually pretty easy to get the gauntlets of dexterity early without paying 10 000 - 13 000 gold.

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited October 2013
    Just to weigh in with general agreement with the majority of posters:

Anomen is the probably the best melee divine caster in BG2 & TOB, perhaps tying with Jaheira depending on how much you value Ironskins, Insect Swarm and Druid HLAs.

He has a fairly insufferable personality though. I usually leave him behind for this very reason. I do have a "Goody Two-Shoes" playthrough planned with him, Keldorn, Mazzy, Aerie and Nalia though.
    Post edited by Corvino on
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Anomen is an amazing NPC. Once he becomes LG he levels up so quickly and has so many spells at his disposaL, aside from his turn undead level, it's not true, add Crom Faeyr into the mix and he's unstoppable. In fact the limitations placed on him as a cleric are the only things stopping him being by far the most powerful NPC in the game. (Probably a good thing). In general he can take way more punishment than Jaheira, though he does cop an awful lot in my games.

What I am finding, however, is that is making him a little marginalised in my current game because Keldorn - with Carsomyr - my dual longsword wielding Charname and Valygar, with his stealth and abilities to wield more weapons are getting most of the action.

Anomen is an amazing NPC. Once he becomes LG he levels up so quickly and has so many spells at his disposaL, aside from his turn undead level, it's not true, add Crom Faeyr into the mix and he's unstoppable. In fact the limitations placed on him as a cleric are the only things stopping him being by far the most powerful NPC in the game. (Probably a good thing). In general he can take way more punishment than Jaheira, though he does cop an awful lot in my games.

What I am finding, however, is that is making him a little marginalised in my current game because Keldorn - with Carsomyr - my dual longsword wielding Charname and Valygar, with his stealth and abilities to wield more weapons are getting most of the action.

I never have Keldorn and Anomen in the party at the same time. Both are in critical need of the gauntlets of dexterity and i'm not having one of them without.
    SionIV said:

I never have Keldorn and Anomen in the party at the same time. Both are in critical need of the gauntlets of dexterity and i'm not having one of them without.
    No, they're not. I've been playing Keldorn with Gauntlets of Ogre Power and he's been literally ripping through stuff. The number of enemies he's chunked in my latest game is unbelievable. His kill stats are outrageous. I've only seen Minsc deal out anything like the level of butt kicking.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    I like Anomen. F>C dual classes are super powered anyway, so what's not to like (other than his horrible personality)?

I use him as a roid fighter. he's useful without the buffs, but by level 15 cleric you're using DuHM, Righteous Magic and Hold Power, he's hit 25 strength, 15 dex (or using potion of dexterity you have 23 dec) 21 con, added another 15 hp. get him dual-wielding maces and he's monstrous. if he came with pips in flails instead of maces he'd be perfect.
    edited October 2013

SionIV said:

No, they're not. I've been playing Keldorn with Gauntlets of Ogre Power and he's been literally ripping through stuff. The number of enemies he's chunked in my latest game is unbelievable. His kill stats are outrageous. I've only seen Minsc deal out anything like the level of butt kicking.
    It's 4 AC, that's like going from a splint mail to a full plate for free.

Gauntlets of Dexterity
    Belt of Giant strength

Anything else is just silly.

9 dexterity is not just bad, it's downright horrible. And a 17/18/17 statline is much better than a 18/9/17 not to mention with a girdle it's 19/18/17.

He also starts the game with ** in crossbows, so those gauntlets of dexterity were made for him.

[Edited] :

If you're using two handed swords (Carsomyr) then you won't have a shield. With his personal armor he'll have 0 or -1 in AC while if you put a pair of gauntlets on him he will have -5 in AC with a two handed weapon.

There is no question about him, the gauntlets of dexterity + Carsomyr are the two main items on Keldorn and the rest aren't important.
    edited October 2013
    He's getting a bonus 2 pips in BG2:EE. They're in Staves and Sword and shield style though...

*Edit* To clarify: Anomen is getting these points
    Corvino said:

He's getting a bonus 2 pips in BG2:EE. They're in Staves and Sword and shield style though...

Isn't this kind of stupid? The only person who can wield Carsomyr ends up with Sword and Shield Style?
    SionIV said:

SionIV said:

Gauntlets of Dexterity
    Belt of Giant strength

9 dexterity is not just bad, it's downright horrible. And a 17/18/17 statline is much better than a 18/9/17 not to mention with a girdle it's 19/18/17.

He also starts the game with ** in crossbows, so those gauntlets of dexterity were made for him.
    447 Kills to this point in the Underdark and almost half the experience for the party, seriously. there is more than one way to play Keldorn. I was pondering swapping to that combo - as I've just picked up the belt - but actually I think Anomen would benefit more from it until I can forge Crom Faeyr. Before I got Carsomyr, crossbow was the favoured weapon for Keldorn and he did pretty well with it without the gauntlets of dexterity, with Carsomyr, the boots of speed and a whole load of buffs he doesn't need the dex.
    edited October 2013

SionIV said:

SionIV said:

Gauntlets of Dexterity
    Belt of Giant strength

447 Kills to this point in the Underdark and almost half the experience for the party, seriously. there is more than one way to play Keldorn. I was pondering swapping to that combo - as I've just picked up the belt - but actually I think Anomen would benefit more from it until I can forge Crom Faeyr. Before I got Carsomyr, crossbow was the favoured weapon for Keldorn and he did pretty well with it without the gauntlets of dexterity, with Carsomyr, the boots of speed and a whole load of buffs he doesn't need the dex.
    I'm sorry and i mean no offense by this at all. But you're using a crossbow on Keldorn mainly and had it as his favored weapon, but you instead picked a pair of gauntlets to give him +1 STR instead of adding +9 DEX?

I don't play this game anymore on normal difficulty, and if you're walking into SCS or any hard melee combat with Keldorn and using a two handed sword with no aid to his dexterity, you're brutally killed.

And it's quite simple math really.

Girdle -> 19 STR (+2)
    Gauntlets -> 18 DEX (+9)

There are no gloves in the game that would be as good or efficient on Keldorn.

He might work out for you with his 9 dexterity and a crossbow, but you're still playing him subpar. Also Anomen can buff his own STR with DUHM so at level 9 he'll have 21 STR from that spell alone, while Keldorn has no way to buff his STR so the belt should go to him instead.

I really don't see how this is even a question. If you can add a pair of gloves to a person to boost their attribute by 8-9 points not to mention it's a crucial attribute like dexterity, i can't see why you wouldn't do it. It's like throwing on a ring of protection +4 minus the saving throws.

I would like to point out to a thread about Keldorn i made earlier . http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17504/keldorn-you-re-the-man#latest

With the gauntlets of Dexterity he has the second best stats in the entire game, the only NPC that wins him by a few points is Sarevok.

=98

Fair enough but I do think we've demonstrated between us that to be effective both aren't in need of the gauntlets.
    edited October 2013
    @elminster
    elminster said:

If Jaheira does indeed get draw upon holy might and hold person (neither of which I recall her getting) those are both bugs.

That was meant to be "instead of hold person, and draw on holy might." The edit might not have worked. Reedited it since.
    elminster said:

Viconia is better as a defender than Anomen? Based on what? Her magic resistance? Anomen has much better constitution (as well as extra health because of his fighter levels), his dexterity can be addressed by the dexterity gauntlets, and he can eventually achieve grandmastery.

Viconia has more spell slots. That was meant to be that she's better at defending, than producing offence in melee.
    gcg said:

@elminster

elminster said:

If Jaheira does indeed get draw upon holy might and hold person (neither of which I recall her getting) those are both bugs.

That was meant to be "instead of hold person, and draw on holy might." The edit might not have worked.

Viconia has more spell slots. That was meant to be that she's better at defending, that producing offence in melee.
    But she also has a much worse constitution and very low health, so she won't be defending anything. She is a better divine spell caster, got more spell slots. But that's about it.

She also has a MUCH better romance, which is more important to be honest.
    edited October 2013
    @SionIV
    SionIV said:

1.) 3.) Cleric -> Druid in BG2 and he got better stats than Jaheira so it's pretty much auto win to Anomen here.

Jaheira has higher dexterity, and wisdom stat, and is multiclass, so keeps gaining fighter levels. Iron skins also give alot of invulnerability.

edited October 2013
    gcg said:

@SionIV

SionIV said:

1.) 3.) Cleric -> Druid in BG2 and he got better stats than Jaheira so it's pretty much auto win to Anomen here.

Jaheira has higher dexterity, and wisdom stat, and is multiclass, so keeps gaining fighter levels. Iron skins also give alot of invulnerability.

Anomen with gauntlets of dexterity is sitting on 18/18/16 which is perfect for a cleric. He got turn undead, cleric spells are better than druid spells and he will gain cleric levels quicker. Also druids get stuck on the 14-15th level because of the massive experience they need, throw in that she is multi class and it'll take you a LONG time to reach level 14-15 while Anomen can just breeze through the cleric level tables and reap the benefits. Anomen has a higher Wisdom stat after you done the Radiant Heart part.

[Edited] : Jaheira also has a higher constitution, but that doesn't matter for Anomen as clerics don't gain any more health from having 18 or 16.

Just to show how insane the druid level progression is.

Jaheira -> 20F/15D
    Anomen -> 7F/34C

So when they both have 6 000 000 experience Anomen is level 34 Cleric while Jaheira is 15 Druid.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    gcg said:

@SionIV

SionIV said:

I don't agree with cleric -> druid (in BG2 or BG1) but in the case of Anomen vs Jaheira Anomen has higher strength, the ability through spells to both raise that strength and his health/thac0, a higher wisdom than Jaheira once you do his quest line, better starting equipment (his shield), and gains spell levels quicker (making his dispel magic much more useful than Jaheira's). Sure Jaheira gets fighter HLA's and Ironskins, but Anomen gets generally better weapons and can even get grandmastery.
    Jaheira and Anomen are pretty much apples and oranges in terms of where the balancing point is, even if they're both fighter/divine hybrids. He's a cleric who can fight much better than a regular cleric. She's a fighter who happens to be able to cast druid spells but gets hamstrung by the low number of high-level slots she gets.
    SionIV said:

gcg said:

@SionIV

SionIV said:

Anomen with gauntlets of dexterity is sitting on 18/18/16 which is perfect for a cleric. He got turn undead, cleric spells are better than druid spells and he will gain cleric levels quicker. Also druids get stuck on the 14-15th level because of the massive experience they need, throw in that she is multi class and it'll take you a LONG time to reach level 14-15 while Anomen can just breeze through the cleric level tables and reap the benefits. Anomen has a higher Wisdom stat after you done the Radiant Heart part.

[Edited] : Jaheira also has a higher constitution, but that doesn't matter for Anomen as clerics don't gain any more health from having 18 or 16.

Just to show how insane the druid level progression is.

Jaheira -> 20F/15D
    Anomen -> 7F/34C

So when they both have 6 000 000 experience Anomen is level 34 Cleric while Jaheira is 15 Druid.
    The +1 constitution bonus applies to her fighter class roles. She gets the summon nature's ally, call lightning, bug swarm, iron ski summon fire elemental early. There's fewer spells, but they're potent, and less protection orientedns, and. Good to have a cleric in the party if you're going to deal with things that have condition effects. The druid class wasn't designed for high levels. The ToB didn't accommodate this.