Skip to content

Are prestige classes possible in BG:EE?

JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
edited October 2013 in General Modding
Just wondering if it would be possible to make a prestige class, i.e. a normal class that you can't start in, but can only duel class into. For example (off the top of my head), a wizard that's at least level 20 may duel class into an archmage?

Would be awesome if there was a "display at creation" flag that we could set to false, in order to prevent prestige classes clogging up the creation screen.

Comments

• JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    Apologies for the bump but I'd appreciate an answer on this.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    I don't know about classes but you can have kits that you can't access at creation.
    Then you could allow access to a prestige class as a kit?
    Wouldn't be exactly what you are looking for but maybe close enough (if the class thing doesn't work).
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, you can't dual class into a kit, so doing them as kits can't really be done
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    edited October 2013
    You cant normally dual class into a kit though if you use shadowkeeper or something, you can change to a kit after having dual classed. It seems plausible that if the in game mechanics matched what was technically possible, prestige classes could work in that regard.

But then that would limit it to humans doing it.

Just making a kit where you don't get any abilities until a certain higher level would be easier, at least for fairly straightforward prestige classes. A kit that's just a normal fighter until level 10, but then at level 11 he would get abilities according to his "prestige class" for ten levels, then only get weapon proficiencies and no improvement to his other abilities after 20.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Well the upcoming patch will allow the modification of a 2da that will allow other races to choose race restricted classes, and allow dual classing to non humans and multiclassing for humans if the player modifies it.

Side note: Some say that it also allows dualing into a kit, but I have no actual confirmation on that.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    You could dual into a (mage) kit in the original BG, so it should theoretically be possible to unlock it with the appropriate 2DA files, i should think.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    It would take some engine work for a system that you envision to work, might be the externalization that is coming up will allow this, might not, have to wait and see
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Um, Prestige classes is a 3e thing, and BG and BG2 are more towards the 2e end of the scale (there are a few 3e classes in there, like the sorcerer, but 2e had kits rather than Prestige classes). I am all for more kits. and maybe some from the core class books, like Savage Wizard, Angakok, Thug (for the thief class) and so on. I definitely want multi-class kits like the Elven Bladesinger, Elven Spellfilcher, Halfling Whistler, Dwarven Chanter (the last two are Bard Kits), Dwarven Tunnel Rat, and so on.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    I don't care about editions really. I think if prestige classes could work in BG then they should be in the game (in a mod, obviously), if they can't then they shouldn't be.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    I too would never use a PRC mod for a AD&D game, but could never say no to a optional mod for others personal enjoyment (As long as the core game is as close to P&P as possible)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited October 2013
    My mod kinda had that an implementation of prestige classes idea in the context of this 2E game. That you start with a base class and earn a kit through deeds.

Kit Tomes
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18629/mod-kit-tomes