Skip to content

Is Neera really Chaotic Neutral?

2»

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Southpaw said:

To me, she's more like Chaotic Annoying.

Lawful Annoying to me. She strictly follows the rule to annoy me in any possible way, no exceptions.

As for friendly evil NPCs - Eldoth can be very charming if it suits him, Xzar is friendly all the way (not just giving a free potion; he's a big contrast to most evil NPCs insofar that his banter lines don't have anything arrogant or hateful - with the notable exception of hating sunlight - toward charname, and he doesn't insult other NPCs in banters either), Kagain isn't unfriendly (and where some elven NPCs complain in dungeons of 'acting like dwarves' - Kivan; Kagain doesn't seem to be prejuduced or hateful toward any race - after Dorn's quest, he asks him to become business partners after the adventure with you, and Dorn replies surprisingly friendly, saying he'll consider the offer).

On the other hand, Kivan is quite grumpy as a good NPC. He dislikes dwarves (or at least how they live, other elves don't state specifically they hate 'the ways of the dwarven folk'), his hatred toward Viconia seems mostly one-sided and he's generally grumpy.
    The Kivan/Viconia interactions are pretty interesting from an alignment perspective.

Evil NPC: I think we should try to get along as comrades.
    Good NPC: Silence, fiend! Lest I murder you where you stand!

Kivan in general is pretty intolerant, its part of what makes him a more interesting Good character.

As an addition, Dorn's reason for being in BG2:EE will be because he's in Amn defending a trading caravan for Kagain.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I don't want wild magic neera me. Disect the wench and harvest her essence!!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I have a distant memory of my first playthrough. After I figured out that Khalid and Jaheira will attack Xzar and Monty sooner or later (sooner, charname had 8 charisma at best), I didn't take them along and went to search an evil fighter. Recruited Kivan in the middle of being attacked by skeletons, didn't check alignment. Never bothered to check later because he sounded like a perfectly good fit. I was very surprised when he leveled up and I paid attention to his stats and alignment for the first time.

And speaking of Kagain, when I first had him in my party, I assumed he was neutral something. He didn't have a "evil" type of quest like Edwin and didn't sound bloodthirsty, then didn't care about revenge or losses or something with his "quest". My first impression was neutral good or lawful neutral or something, but certainly not evil.

Kivan/Viconia are not the only pair where the good NPC is the aggressor. Ajantis starts all conflicts with evil NPCs (especially weird with a laid back guy like Kagain). With Kivan, it stands out more though since he doesn't have the "paladins are lawful stupid" excuse.

I've never seen the Yeslick/Kagain fight, now I'm curious. Who throws the first stone in that one?